View previous topic | View next topic

Australia

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

suze
289666.  Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Whereas Errol Flynn - the sort of guy for whom words like "all American action hero" were invented - was born in Tasmania.

Arcane
289866.  Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 am Reply with quote

*note: the bee gees mum doesn't live here - i'd started to write something else and got sidetracked. it's called proof reading and i ought to try it sometime!

Django
314487.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote

Thought I would throw in an Oz fact seeing as I will be living there soon.
Adelaide is the only state capital not to receive convicts. What the South Aussies fail to tell you though it was planned by one. One Edward Wakefield a paedophile shipped out from London's Newgate Prison.

Pete

Jenny
314583.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote

He planned lots of schools then? Welcome Django, by the way :-)

RonPrice9
314774.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote

A paragraph at random from my memoirs about "life in Australia."-Ron Price, George Town, Tasmania
I have grown fonder of life in late middle age and the early years of late adulthood after years of having to suffer ‘the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.’ As far as laughs are concerned, I have made much ‘ha ha,’ as Voltaire called it, in the public domain in these last six decades, especially since coming to Australia in 1971, 36 years ago. A goodly portion of my life has been light and cheery and I’m confident, with Gore Vidal, that it will stay this way, barring calamity or trauma, until my last breath. I hope some readers will enjoy this narrative in all its excess, its voluminosity and its serious note and tone. In one of John Steinbeck’s letters he wrote: “Anyone who says he doesn’t like a pat on the back is either untruthful or a fool.”

Perhaps Steinbeck never met many of the Aussies I’ve known who don’t like pats on their back or anywhere else, are suspicious of those who give them and are certainly not fools. But I am, alas, not a full-blood Aussie; I am at best a hybrid and I look forward to many pats on the back. Australians have taught me not to be too optimistic, too dependent, too attached to such pats; perhaps, though, it is simply life, my experience and my own particular brand of skepticism that has taught me this. Scratching backs—now that is a different question!

Ian Dunn
512008.  Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote

This first Australian woman do die in the Vietnam War was Cathy Wayne. She was murdered by US Marine Sergeant James Wayne Killen while performing in a concert near Da Nang in South Vietnam.

Wikipedia article

bobwilson
512065.  Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote

from that Wiki article wrote:
at his court-martial it was alleged that he was aiming for his commanding officer, Major Roger E. Simmons

So I guess that's alright then!

bobwilson
512067.  Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote

wiki wrote:
The Ghan is a passenger train operating between Adelaide, Alice Springs, and Darwin on the Adelaide-Darwin railway in Australia. Operated by Great Southern Railway and with locomotives provided by Pacific National, the journey takes 48 hours to travel the 2,979 kilometres (1850 miles). The service's name is an abbreviated version of its previous nickname The Afghan Express, which comes from the Afghan camel trains that trekked the same route before the advent of the railway.

Blimey, those Afghans get about a bit don't they?

Arcane
598543.  Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote

It's terrible when you get sand in your Afghans.

*Afghans are a biscuit, never fear XD

Space
779021.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Whereas Errol Flynn - the sort of guy for whom words like "all American action hero" were invented - was born in Tasmania.

so...still not aussie then?

Arcane
804927.  Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Tasmania is one of the Australian states, so yes, he was Australian.

Zebra57
807618.  Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote

Could Sir Les Paterson be considered for his cultural expertise?

Gavin
861490.  Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote

I'm going to say right now for the people who have said "Australia and Tasmania", that Tasmania is a part of Australia and has been for millions of years. Check all your stuff about geographical science.

Zebra57
862397.  Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote

Tasmania was separated from mainland Australia 10,000 years ago at the same time that New Guinea became detatched when sea levels rose following the last glacial period.

The citizens of the Colony of Tasmania produced the largest majority vote in favour of Federation. In 1901 Tasmania became one of the six states of Australia.

Zebra57
872632.  Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote

Christmas on the Australian Territory of Christmas Island still features the problem of people being illegally trafficked from Indonesia in unseaworthy boats and assylum seekers attempting to reach the island. For a territory with a population of only just over 1.000 these migrants cause major problems.
In 1957 at Australia's request, the United Kingdom transferred the sovereignty of the island to Australia. Maybe with hindsight not a smart request.

At this festive time the red crabs arrive as Santa visits.

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/article/126918/christmas-arrives-early-on-christmas-island

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next