View previous topic | View next topic

Australia

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dr.bob
128563.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote

There are 10 types of people in the world: those that can count in binary, and those that can't.

Counting binary on your fingers, you can count up to 1,023.

If you took your shoes and socks off, you could count up to 1,048,575.

samivel
128574.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote

Well, I'm a bit busy at the moment, maybe I'll do it later...

suze
128596.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote

My brief experiment is suggesting that, while I have the usual complement of metacarpal appendages, only eight of them are usable in attempting to count in binary.

In other words, I'm not able to control my ring and little fingers independently of one another. Is this usual, or do I have messed up hands?

dr.bob
128645.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote

You have messed up hands.

Or perhaps you just need to practise playing a musical instrument like a piano or guitar. That tends to gie you plenty of practise at moving your fingers independantly.

suze
128653.  Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

I rather feared it was so.

I do actually possess a guitar, which I play infrequently and badly. Clearly I need to devote more time to it, as the ability to count to 1,023 in binary on my fingers is essential.

WizardofAus
140540.  Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote

On The ACDC Theme.............

Like many "Australian" bands, the singer was Scottish (The new vocalist is a geordie). Both the guitarists are Scottish born. At one stage the drummer was a man from the valleys, and an original member of the Tom Jones Band. Amongst the other bands where the vocalist was born in Scotland are Swannee, Men at Work and Cold Chisel. I am positive there are more, but the old memory ain't what it used to be.

Split Enz is a band claimed by Australia, as was Crowded House (New Zealanders, as were Dragon and MiSex).

I grew up in the 70s listening to these bands, and spent many a happy evening spilling beer whilst going deaf. Australian music hasn't moved into the 21st century (thankfully) and beer spilling with your mates is still possible.

In the Wiz's household, to say of a band "good music to spill beer to" is the highest form of acclaim.

Lumpo31
141527.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote

WizardofAus wrote:
On The ACDC Theme.............

Like many "Australian" bands, the singer was Scottish (The new vocalist is a geordie). Both the guitarists are Scottish born. At one stage the drummer was a man from the valleys, and an original member of the Tom Jones Band. Amongst the other bands where the vocalist was born in Scotland are Swannee, Men at Work and Cold Chisel. I am positive there are more, but the old memory ain't what it used to be.

Indeed, John Swan (Swannee) and Jimmy Barnes (Cold Chisel - birth name James Dixon Swan) are brothers.

WizardofAus wrote:
Split Enz is a band claimed by Australia, as was Crowded House (New Zealanders, as were Dragon and MiSex).

Although the late Paul Hester (both Split Enz and Crowded House) was born in Melbourne, as was Nick Seymour (just Crowded House).

I grew up in the 70s listening to these bands, and spent many a happy evening spilling beer whilst going deaf. Australian music hasn't moved into the 21st century (thankfully) and beer spilling with your mates is still possible.

In the Wiz's household, to say of a band "good music to spill beer to" is the highest form of acclaim.[/quote]

What about the incredibly seminal Midnight Oil?? I believe their album 10 to 1 was on the top 100 for at least 2 years, which has to be some sort of record.

Lisa

WizardofAus
141554.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

What about the incredibly seminal Midnight Oil?? I believe their album 10 to 1 was on the top 100 for at least 2 years, which has to be some sort of record.

Lisa

Lisa
I actually saw the Oils at the Royal Antler in 1979. It was my birthday present to myself. Didn't like them then, still don't like 'em........

I forgot to mention the Bee Gees, Olivia Newton John, John(ny) Farnham, Stevie Wright, John Paul Young and John English as "Australian" artistes born overseas.......

Sim-1
151530.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote

Sorry to be a stickler but I think you are refering to the platypus as being a venomous mammal not a poisonous one. When refering to animals, if its harmful to eat it is considered poisonous whereas if it excreets venom it is venomous.

ali
151539.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote

Excellent pedantry! You are going to fit right in Sim-1.

Lumpo31
152500.  Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote

WizardofAus wrote:

I forgot to mention the Bee Gees, Olivia Newton John, John(ny) Farnham, Stevie Wright, John Paul Young and John English as "Australian" artistes born overseas.......

And not to forget the recently-deceased Billy Thorpe, also born in the UK.

Lisa

RonPrice9
188283.  Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote

As far as I know Les Murray is the only poet in Australia who could be said "to make a living from his writing of poetry." Here is a letter I wrote to him. It gives some of the flavour of Australian culture in addition to the music discussion above.

August 6th 2005

Dear Les

I am at the moment listening to the last few minutes of Poetica on ABC Radio National and have, at last, opened a section in my files for/to “Les Murray.” I’m sure you get more letters than you can shake a stick at or prefer to get; and since I can’t find your email address I assume you don’t want to be too accessible. But your home page reveals your snail-mail address and so I will send this to you at that location.

Please do not feel any obligation whatsoever to respond; I do not want to give you yet one more task to perform that involves writing. But I would like to let you know, if you don’t already, that your poetry written to "The Glory of God" has a particular resonance to the six million Baha’is around the world. The Founder of the Baha’i Faith has a name, which when translated, means ‘the glory of God.’ His name was Mirza Husayn-Ali and He called Himself Baha’u’llah. I leave you with two short pieces of His writings for your pleasure.

I have come across your own work off and on for perhaps twenty years. And I mention to students, or at least I used to when I was still a teacher, that you were the only Australian, or one of the very few of these Antipodeans, who made a living from poetry. As I write this I’m not sure if this is still true. I have a website at: http://www.users.on.net/~ronprice/ and an email address at: ronprice9@gmail.com. Feel free to write at any time and, as I say above, feel free not to write. Whatever you prefer.

Thank you for widening my horizons

Ron Price
Tasmania

TWO PIECES WRITTEN BY Baha’u’llah, THE GLORY OF GOD

#1:

O CHILDREN OF MEN! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory.
_____________________ #2:

From the sweet-scented streams of Thine eternity give me to drink, O my God, and of the fruits of the tree of Thy being enable me to taste, O my Hope! From the crystal springs of Thy love suffer me to quaff, O my Glory, and beneath the shadow of Thine everlasting providence let me abide, O my Light! Within the meadows of Thy nearness, before Thy presence, make me able to roam, O my Beloved, and at the right hand of the throne of Thy mercy, seat me, O my Desire! From the fragrant breezes of Thy joy let a breath pass over me, O my Goal, and into the heights of the paradise of Thy reality let me gain admission, O my Adored One! To the melodies of the dove of Thy oneness suffer me to hearken, O Resplendent One, and through the spirit of Thy power and Thy might quicken me, O my Provider! In the spirit of Thy love keep me steadfast, O my Succorer, and in the path of Thy good-pleasure set firm my steps, O my Maker! Within the garden of Thine immortality, before Thy countenance, let me abide for ever, O Thou Who art merciful unto me, and upon the seat of Thy glory stablish me, O Thou Who art my Possessor! To the heaven of Thy loving-kindness lift me up, O my Quickener, and unto the Day-Star of Thy guidance lead me, O Thou my Attractor! Before the revelations of Thine invisible spirit summon me to be present, O Thou Who art my Origin and my Highest Wish, and unto the essence of the fragrance of Thy beauty, which Thou wilt manifest, cause me to return, O Thou Who art my God! -Baha'u'llah, Prayers and Meditations, pages: 258-259.
_________
I wish you well, Les.....and thanks

grizzly
188359.  Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote

Ron, it is far from advisable to pout your, or anyone elses address online where it is publicly viewable.

Arcane
288983.  Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote

well i should add my 10 cents finally to this thread:

the bee gees grew up near where i live, in fact, some of my in laws are of similar age, went to the same school and regularly played with them. i think one of their first gigs was at the redcliffe trots! (horses, now now).

russell crowe is a kiwi by birth. nicole kidman i believe was born in hawaii.

Last edited by Arcane on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Lumpo31
289626.  Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
well i should add my 10 cents finally to this thread:

the bee gees grew up near where i live, in fact, some of my in laws are of similar age, went to the same school and regularly played with them. their mother still lives here. i think one of their first gigs was at the redcliffe trots! (horses, now now).

russell crowe is a kiwi by birth. nicole kidman i believe was born in hawaii.

And the Bee Gees were born on the Isle of Man!

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next