View previous topic | View next topic

Email - worse for you than marijuana

Page 1 of 1

Jenny
149926.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote

Researchers at Kings College London have identified a new addiction - email. Addicts check their BlackBerries at socially inappropriate times, and even send themselves messages if one doesn't arrive fast enough.

The researchers say this addiction saps cognitive abilities more than drugs. The IQ scores of email addicts fell 10%, more than twice the fall experienced by users of marijuana.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2007/02/21/nemail21.xml

Fudgie
149947.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Whereas the addictive properties of the QI website improves your IQ (I hope...) !!

:-)

Neotenic
150043.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote

Get 'em while they're young...

I still have an irrational desire to stamp on Blackberries when I see people beavering away on them on the tube, whilst beating the user over the head repeatedly chanting 'Stop Bloody Working For Ten Bloody Minutes'.

Only to realise that they've actually just been playing solitare.

I would imagine that the primary reason for this violent reaction is the knowledge that if work ever shoved one into my sweaty little hands, I would be assuming the 'tickle a baby monkey' position at every available moment with the rest of them.

smiley_face
150044.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We’re sure that most BlackBerry Cool readers would agree: it’s never too soon to wean your children onto a BlackBerry — as long as they’re not using your BlackBerry. MGA Entertainment has the perfect device for those proud mums and dads who want to teach their kids the ins and outs of texting and pretending you’re at work while slinging tequila at the local watering hole.

...From this site.

Neotenic
150045.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Pardon my tenuous grip on the English language, but isn't weaning usually more in the 'off' direction?

Fudgie
150050.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Yes - onto the Blackberry and off the rattle and cuddly toy!!

djgordy
150110.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Pardon my tenuous grip on the English language, but isn't weaning usually more in the 'off' direction?

Strictly speaking, to "wean" means to accustom someone to something. When babies are being weaned they are being accustomed to solid food, or at least to nourishment other than that provided by nursing.

However, there is a subsidiary meaning where the emphasis is on the thing that is being given up, rather than on the thing taking its place. So one might be weaned off drugs for instance.

jimmyc99
158528.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Speaking on behalf of the Obsessive Compulsives amongst us, we have to be addicted to something and Email - whilst dangerous for our intelligence - at least is cheaper than pot.

Plus there is less risk of us progressing onto harder "stuff" - back to my 24/7 MSN addiction now...

Hummingbird
158565.  Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:23 am Reply with quote

Why on earth is the habit bad for your intelligence?

I still have off days but I think that my posting habit has improved my chat up and spelling skills and expanded my general knowledge.

psidust42
186907.  Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote

what about smoking pot while using your blackberry? Will your mind just drool out of your ears?

smiley_face
187007.  Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote

psidust42 wrote:
what about smoking pot while using your blackberry? Will your mind just drool out of your ears?

I wouldn't know. I've never touched a Blackberry.

legspin
187038.  Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote

jimmyc99 wrote:
Speaking on behalf of the Obsessive Compulsives amongst us, we have to be addicted to something and Email - whilst dangerous for our intelligence - at least is cheaper than pot.

Depends on how often you lose your gadget, (probably caused by too much pot)

Page 1 of 1