View previous topic | View next topic

Belarus

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

robertkelly50
113825.  Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Belarus is the largest land-locked state in Europe. This is including the Black Sea as being sea as it is half salt-water, half fresh-water.

Not a Number
115670.  Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote

http://www.abelarusbride.com/
For all your Eastern European bridal needs.

I really, really tried to find something interesting for Belarus, but I think it must be the most boring country on the planet. In an attempt, I shall give you this Belarusian childrens' game:

"Vishan'ka" ("Cherry") - the girl stands on the stool having a straw in her lips. Two guys walk in karahod hand in hand around her, entraping her in their circle. They are supposed to protect the girl from the third guy. This task of this guy is to jump and catch the straw with his lips. If he suceeds - the girl kisses him.

cabs
116067.  Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:59 am Reply with quote

Not a Number wrote:
http://www.abelarusbride.com/
For all your Eastern European bridal needs.

I really, really tried to find something interesting for Belarus, but I think it must be the most boring country on the planet. In an attempt, I shall give you this Belarusian childrens' game:

"Vishan'ka" ("Cherry") - the girl stands on the stool having a straw in her lips. Two guys walk in karahod hand in hand around her, entraping her in their circle. They are supposed to protect the girl from the third guy. This task of this guy is to jump and catch the straw with his lips. If he suceeds - the girl kisses him.

And she's then lost her Vishan'ka?

Not a Number
116213.  Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote

I knew I could count on you cabs. It's like dogs and earthquakes. Or maybe maggots and carrion.
:P

cabs
116243.  Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Not a Number wrote:
I knew I could count on you cabs. It's like dogs and earthquakes. Or maybe maggots and carrion.
:P

To damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and without sneering, teach the rest to sneer.

robertkelly50
122007.  Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote

I have found another 'interesting' thing about Belarus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has the highest divorce rate in the world.

grizzly
122009.  Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Your missions, should you choose to accept it, is to find out why!

Not a Number
122111.  Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm.... who do you suppose is the best authority on this? A quick google reveals that the highest may be:

Belarus
www.divorcemag.com/statistics/statsWorld.shtml

or

Maldives
www.aneki.com/divorce.html
www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-by-highest-divorce-rate.html

Ugh...so many divorce websites, so little time.
Not so fun fact: Divorces are highest amongst Protestant Christians

Tas
122156.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 am Reply with quote

Obviously protesting against marriage.

I assume the Belarus divorce rate is because all those women want to be registered on the Belarus website to marry into the Rest Of The Worlds money?

:-)

Tas

eggshaped
213773.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote

Belarus is the only country in Europe where the death penalty is enforced.

http://www.legislationline.org/?jid=7&less=false&tid=144

eggshaped
213774.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote

Belarus is the world biggiest supplier of potassium mineral fertilizers

Apparently.

http://www.belarusguide.com/industry1/chemical.htm

AlmondFacialBar
213775.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Obviously protesting against marriage.

I assume the Belarus divorce rate is because all those women want to be registered on the Belarus website to marry into the Rest Of The Worlds money?

Tas

how about to marry into democracy and a resonable life expectancy? belarus is a ruthless stalinist dictatorship, and large parts of it have radiation levels that would make them declared uninhabitable elsewhere because most of the fall out from chernobyl went down there. i couldn't blame any belarussian, man, woman or child, for wanted to get out whatever it takes. for a lot of the population the choice is between chronic radiation poisoning and starvation because they can't afford to buy uncontaminated food.

AlmondFacialBar

suze
213779.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote

I am in fact going to Belarus!

On the weekend of 8-9 December, to be precise. Getting a visa was a task which would make the extraction of blood from a stone look like child's play, but it should be an interesting couple days.

I'm expecting it to be a cold grey place (well hey, it will be December) and extremely Soviet in appearance, but I'm willing to be surprised. Only thing is, the more I read about the country the less likely it seems that I will be ...

Tas
213783.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

I hope you have packed your NBC Suit and lead-lined gloves and boots, Suze! We don't want you mutated into having an extra (Q) eye!

Tas

dr.bob
214398.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I'm expecting it to be a cold grey place (well hey, it will be December) and extremely Soviet in appearance, but I'm willing to be surprised. Only thing is, the more I read about the country the less likely it seems that I will be ...

So, if you don't mind me asking, why on earth are you going? :)

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next