View previous topic | View next topic

CATS.

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

bemahan
1002676.  Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote

Can cats plan ahead? I always thought most animals eat and drink either when they are hungry or thirsty, or just because it's 'there'.

My cat, who rarely meows, will 'ask' us for food if we are around when her bowl is empty but once we've put food in it she will go off without eating it. Today she followed me into the kitchen and sat by her water bowl and meowed. That's never usually empty so I didn't take much notice but she persevered and I realised it was empty. I filled it up and she walked away without drinking any.

pmailkeey
1002689.  Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote

Yes.

I suspect it applies to most animals - those that bury nuts for later, dogs and bone burying etc. My cat has exhibited similar - fussing for food, getting the bowl topped up and walking off - usually night-time before I go to bed. Another thing she'll do is attempt to cover a half empty bowl - as if to save it for later. This behaviour can be stopped by placing an upturned bowl on top of the food bowl. If only I could find bowls with slide-opening bowls that the cat can shut and open to suit. As for putting the upturned bowl over her food, I taught her to push it off to get at the food. I didn't have to repeat the lesson for our new cat - it's either been more aggressive or has seen the other one remove the 'lid'. Now I know which cat has been at the food depending on which side the lid's been pushed off!

bemahan
1002701.  Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I felt this was a step further than food burying. I'm not sure why but probably to do with having to interact with another species to 'ask' for the food.

MiLizard
1154539.  Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote

For sure, cats are mysterious creatures.......
I remember how my cat demanded some food but only because his plate was empty..... After me filing it - he just smelled it - to be sure it was really some food, and ran away with some thankfull meows....At least I want to think they were thankfull ;-)

AlmondFacialBar
1154554.  Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote

Dream on... ;-) What she was actually saying was WTF do you think you're serving me.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

MiLizard
1154582.  Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Dream on... ;-) What she was actually saying was WTF do you think you're serving me.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Ha-ha.....who knows...maybe you're right)))

Stefan Linnemann
1154596.  Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote

No, cats do know and, occasionally display, thankfullness. They just loathe making a whole production out of anything. They're no *hiss* offspring of bitches!

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6