View previous topic | View next topic

CATS.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BK1503
423850.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote

An answer to an earlier posted question... About the fur and undercoat...it all depends on the breed. (Most cats have an undercoat, which is what they shed.) I have Wegies (Norwegian Forest Cats) and they can come inside looking drenched and a minute afterwards they leave a puddle of rain water on the floor and the cat is completely dry. The water never reaches deeper than the overcoat, but this is a breed that specializes in the rougher climates, like the Maine Coon, for instance.
And as for cats liking water, it's true that the Turkish Van likes to play in the water and even swim. I once had a cat that loved to wade in the water for some reason. The most fun ever was to play with a cork or something in a basin of water... So it all depends on the cat, neither of my other cats has done anything similar to that.

Can you tell that I'm a crazy cat-lady yet? ;)

Izzardesque
423891.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote

My cat once fell into the bath while I was in it. I still have the scars on my shoulder where he thrashed and scratched to get out!

I-Like-Qi-More-Than-U
732087.  Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote

My cat Neo was dropped in a paddling pool by my dad where he scrambled to get out, though given the option he jumps into a low filled bath tub! His breed (Bengal - part Asian leopard: small leopard) is well known for it's love of water.
That was last year - I suppose it's the kittens (Kisa) turn this year if it ever gets hot enough for the pool!

Croupier
758039.  Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Cats can reverse, otherwise mine would have been permanently stuck between the fridge and the washing machine after trying to retrieve a ball of paper it had batted into the gap in the first place.

Cats are famed for being graceful and light-footed. So I must have owned the only two cats in the world with elephant feet and less grace than an elephant in a tutu. They could also shin up a wall covered in tile-on-a-roll faster than a spider. They hung from a hessian-papered wall like Garfield on a fly-screen and ran sideways along said wall instead of taking the stairs - always; in less than two weeks a cat can wreck a hallway. They can also "pancake", that is squash completely flat to wriggle under a very low footstool. Why? when they could go around.

Because that's what cats do.

Jumper
778191.  Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Contented cat or what...

sjb
778468.  Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote

What a sweet looking kitty, Jumper. :)

Jumper
778743.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote

sjbodell wrote:
What a sweet looking kitty, Jumper. :)

You wouldn't believe that some toe-rag dumped him. Luckily they dumped him out in the countryside and he was able to survive on catching birds until my sister-in-law found him, and because she already had 8 cats and we'd recently become cat-less she gave him to us. Very placid, lap-cat who has to supervise whenever there is work being done around the house or garden...

Probably is the least affected of the family by all the aftershocks we keep getting...

sjb
778749.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote

It's terrible what people can and will do to animals. Commercials like this make me misty-eyed.

I'm a cat lover and can't have them where I live. It's so frustrating. The next place I live I will have a cat (or two). :)

Looks like you have a real darling. :D

Stefan Linnemann
817923.  Fri May 20, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Cats are definitely good pets, they are very sensitive, and do come when you need them, just not whenever you're bored and think it would be nice to have them to relieve your boredom.

I've had lonely tears licked away by my cat back in my teens, when we were still all six at home, with three cats, but one of those was mine: at five or six I had once tried to stamp out a fire which had plastic in it, shards flew up and stuck briefly to my legs, and while my mother was walking me to the doctor (two houses up), she told me I could have one of the new kittens for my upcoming birthday.

Best gift ever!!!!!

Now I was of course an ideal sleeping place, reading all the time, hardly moving while the books lasted. However, she and I always had a special relationship, unlike her brother, she only used me for a sleeping place. Their mom was not thrilled about the kids not leaving house, so she was usually in my dads study.

But I remember with clarity one night, everyone else had gone to bed, I was feeling alone and cast adrift in an unforgiving universe, a few lonely tears starting to roll, and she came to me, jumped onto my lap, and started licking my face.

Polletje, I will never forget you.

Stefan,

sjb
817932.  Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote

I know this isn't really adding much to the thread, but

yes, yes, and yes.

My favoritest kitty seemed to always know when I needed her comfort. She was so intuitive, and a great cuddler. What a blessing she was to me in some very dark times. We got her about 5 months before my father died.

It was said many times that she didn't act very cat-like. She liked to meet new people. (But didn't care for meeting other animals, it seemed.) She liked to follow us around the house and yard at a respectable distance. Once, my stepfather even took her in his truck to the lumberyard, after she insisted on getting in the truck with him, and she stuck her head out of the window on the way. Like a dog. :)

She loved to have people watch her eat. What was that about?

Oh, and when I puckered my lips and made kissing noises she always licked her "lips," like she was kissing back at me. Hah!

I sure miss her!

britishsm
916538.  Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Whilst browsing the NY Times Archives I found this item from 1876 about cats being used to deliver post in Belgium! - Postal Cats
An early April Fools ?

B.

CB27
916542.  Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Trying to find more info on this and every story so far links back to that page, but the weird thing is how many of them say 1879, when the year is clearly 1876.

Need to look further...

CB27
916543.  Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote

The 1879 date looks like it originates from here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mail-Carrier-Cats-Li%C3%A8ge-Facteurs/dp/0595462545

britishsm
916557.  Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if it all spun out from someone over hearing "Carte Postale" as "Chat Postale" ...

There is a museum of zoology in Liege who might be able to furnish further info - sadly my French is sub-schoolboy :/

B.

pmailkeey
967141.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Did you know that when a cat sits dow it doesn't sit on its bum ?
[img]http://twitter.com/pmailkeey/status/295622075736023040/photo/1[/img]

If your cat is facing away from the bath on the edge of the bath and its tail flops into the warm water it'll leave it there. When the cat moves it finds it has a heavy tail and will lick it dry - how to water a cat.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next