View previous topic | View next topic

Clint Eastwood is personality no 19 on the Web

Page 1 of 1

ann
108092.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote

Hi Folks! Clint Eastwood is 175th in the world and Courious Actor, Filmmaker and Producer. I don't know how they do it this but Leonardo DiCaprio and John Malkovich are just after him. His popularity has been growing but since last month he has lost 7%!:( Have a look at the stats here http://www.thepoplist.com/card.data/Clint%20Eastwood_1921211.htm

samivel
108104.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote

Err, brilliant.

And...?

suze
108132.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:23 am Reply with quote

Hmm. What an extremely strange site. Like so many things which claim to speak for "The World", it's American - and from their own explanation of how it works it has more to do with fame with popularity.

The top ten by the way reads thusly:

10 Martin Luther (yup, the mediaeval German guy, not M L King)
9 Elvis Presley
8 Shakira (erm, yes, an obvious member of the top ten)
7 Adolf Hitler
6 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
5 William Shakespeare
4 Albert Einstein
3 Bill Gates
2 Madonna (the chanteuse, not the Blessed Virgin)
1 George W Bush

I thought I'd check on down to see who the top Canadian is. Wayne Gretzky? No. Lester B Pearson? No. Oh heck, I don't know, Bill Shatner? No. Nope, there she is at #44, sitting nicely between Steven Spielberg and Thomas A Edison. Yup, it's Avril Lavigne.

Stephen Fry is #2,204 btw.

costean
108155.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote

This is qi (and amusing). I have always wondered what the American equivalent of our '10 Greatest Britons' would produce. I concede that it is not a genuine comparison, but on the UK list on the site they agree with five of the 'Greatest Britons' top ten.

So it is good to see that Eminem(6) and Paris Hilton(7) are more 'popular' than the likes of Washington(10), Jefferson(13), Martin Luther King(15) or Lincoln(28), who just edges out Jay-Z (???).

I was always under the impression that John Wayne was regarded as the greatest American of all time, (but he doesn't even make the top 50), with heir apparent Tom Cruise only at 31. Just shows how wrong these lists can be.

Still, ours, (Greatest Britons), chucked up a couple of bizarre top ten entries, (Princess Diana and John Lennon), so perhaps these lists should not be taken too seriously!

Page 1 of 1