View previous topic | View next topic

Lead shot

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tas
106774.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote

So, any other mentions earlier than that are likely to be a total phallus-y?

*Leaves*

:-)

Tas

eggshaped
106790.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The first citation in a work not about Ancient Greece seems to be from Thomas Hardy in 1892

this doesn't seem to fit in with:

Quote:
Alexander Hislop, in his 1858 book 'The Two Babylons' [...] described church steeples as phallic

Are we to take it that Hislop didn't use the actual word?

Well I've just searched through the online text of this book, and the only use of the word phallus/phallic that I can find is relating to Isis' consecration of the phallus of a dismembered Horus.

Natalie
106794.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote

How can a penis be a phallic symbol?

eggshaped
106804.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote

You're too Jung to understand.

Natalie
106809.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote

Boom boom crash.

Tas
106828.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote

That'd be both barrels of the shotgun, and eggy falling out of the fifth story window...

Tas

eggshaped
106831.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote

<decides against joining the "Should some of us make some comedy?" thread>

Tas
106840.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote

Comedy is supposed to be funny....and not incur mass groans and sighs from the audience.

Tas

costean
106843.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Are we to take it that Hislop didn't use the actual word?

Well I've just searched through the online text of this book, and the only use of the word phallus/phallic that I can find is relating to Isis' consecration of the phallus of a dismembered Horus.

Eggshaped, I have done some checking - something I should have done in the first place - and I have to say I think you are right. If the link above is a full transcript of his book - which looks probable - then he didn't say this. I withdraw this unreservedly. Anyway the dead can't sue.

I will reopen the bidding at 1924.

Quote:
There are still in existence today remarkable specimens of original phallic symbols . . . steeples on the churches . . . and obelisks . . . all show the influence of our phallus-worshipping ancestors,” Eichler, The Customs of Mankind, p. 55. 1924

http://www.british-israel.us/16.html
A bit dodgy, I know, as it is a quote of a quote (as was Hislop's).

gerontius grumpus
107099.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote

Aaargghhh stop ignoring me, I made relevant point, on thread , about shot towers and everyone's still whittering on about phallic symbols. Why didn't you just start a phallic symbols thread.

By the way, calling a penis a phallic symbol is like calling the British army a paramilitary organisation or saying water's wet (water is the agent that makes other things wet).

Oh no you've got me doing it now grrrr.

djgordy
107213.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Aaargghhh stop ignoring me,

Who said that? Did anyone hear a noise? Sorry, my mistake.

costean
107235.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Aaargghhh stop ignoring me, I made relevant point, on thread , about shot towers and everyone's still whittering on about phallic symbols. Why didn't you just start a phallic symbols thread.

By the way, calling a penis a phallic symbol is like calling the British army a paramilitary organisation or saying water's wet (water is the agent that makes other things wet).

Oh no you've got me doing it now grrrr.

Gerontius, this is my fault. The reason phallic symbols came to dominate this thread is that I was making a bit of an arse of myself in putting forward wild, unsubstantiated claims on subjects I know nothing about. And, quite rightly, I was taken to task about this – the baying mob, (ok, bit of an exaggeration), running me to ground pretty smartly.

Anyway, back to phallic symbols – as well as the earliest inappropriate use of the term ‘phallic symbol’. There is also the question of the most inappropriate use of the term.

Vladimir Putin was recently described as Russia’s phallic symbol – although not in total seriousness:

Quote:
The Prosecutor’s Office has launched criminal proceedings against the editor-in-chief of a Russian Internet newspaper for calling President Putin “Russia’s phallic symbol”.

In his article called “Putin as Russia’s Phallic Symbol”, Rakhmankov argued that Putin’s influence on his audience was so great that even beasts in Russian zoos responded to his call to breed immediately.

“Actually, Putin does look like the country’s phallic symbol — in all senses. So why not secure the symbolism officially in his address� We can now start producing new souvenirs — the president’s head as a penis’s head” says the article, seen by its author as “harmless satire”.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/05/23/fallicputin.shtml

There is also a tantalising glimpse on Google of Charlie Chaplin as a phallic symbol.
It returns the following – but unfortunately it is a ‘pay’ article.

PEP Web - The Dutch Psycho-Analytical Society
Charlie Chaplin as phallic symbol. Dr. Adolph F. Meijer

While it impossible to know what the author meant without reading the article, Charlie Chaplin is not the first thing/person that springs to mind when the subject of phallic symbols crops up.

djgordy
107274.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote

costean wrote:

The reason phallic symbols came to dominate this thread is that I was making a bit of an arse of myself

Phallic symbols..... arse? Is there something you would like to discuss with us?

costean
107279.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote

There are many things I would be delighted to discuss. Erm, I think this particular one is best left to me and suitably qualified medical professionals. You've got me thinking about the Freudian unconscious now. Look what you've gone and done..... I suppose it's my fault for starting the whole thing in the first place.

gerontius grumpus
108025.  Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote

As a mere professional allied to medicine, I would like to point out that my comment about the lead shot cooling as it falls through the air was a good and valid one.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next