View previous topic | View next topic

Coffee

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Gray
18991.  Wed May 04, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote

Well, your heart rate is governed by lots of things, and I should think it's quite possible for your state of relaxation to override the slight increase in pulse with which caffeine is associated. Have you tried taking your pulse after your decaf as well? I expect the smell and the taste, being pleasant, and associated with comfort, will also relax you. Your relaxation may now be a 'Pavlovian response' conditioned by the smell and environment in which you drink coffee.

Taking your own pulse also makes it slow down, because you're concentrating on it (and therefore relaxing everything else in your body). Many GPs get people to stop worrying about their own pulses by actually encouraging it, as it makes them slow, and they worry less - it introduces a sorf of feedback loop of relaxation.

As for caffeine's habituation, the jury's out (having a coffee) as far as I can tell. Lycaeum has a good section on how caffeine 'works', explaining how the molecule binds to the body's adenosine receptors (and therefore stopping adenosine getting in there). (Scroll down to about halfway down).

This explanation, therefore, couldn't accommodate the idea that caffeine would no longer have an effect - the molecule will bond to the receptors in the same way as it did before, but the other factors (relaxation, conditioning to the smell/taste, pulse self-measurement) are probably what's causing the reduced heart beat.

Gaazy
18998.  Wed May 04, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote

Gray - that makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

MatC
20414.  Tue May 17, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote

In the 19th century, coffee was often adulterated with red oxide of lead. This was exposed in The Lancet, resulting in the Sale of Food and Drugs Act 1875, the basis of current food laws.
- The Independent 30 October 1999

Icarus
20471.  Wed May 18, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote

The barman at QI asked me today something that might be worth investigating - can one be allergic to caffeine? I didn't know the answer, but it suggests a good entre to a coffee question.

Jenny
20473.  Wed May 18, 2005 10:51 am Reply with quote

I don't know about allergic, but my husband tolerates it very badly. He gets palpitations and shakes even from a fairly low level of consumption. He can manage the odd Coca Cola as long as it's no more than a couple of times a week, but regular consumption of even decaff coffee (which still has a low level of caffeine in it) or drinking chocolate starts him off. In fact, when he was a student in the sixties and hadn't tracked down the cause of this, he was on medication which caused him not to be classified fit for active service, so he managed to avoid the Vietnam draft that way!

MatC
21455.  Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:25 am Reply with quote

“In 1657, James Furr, who kept The Rainbow at Lower Temple Gate, was prosecuted for creating a nuisance by making and vending a liquor called coffee.”
- “How it all began in the pantry” by Maurice Baren (Michael O’Mara Books, 2000).

CharliesDragon
1031581.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote

I'm the same, Jenny, and it also makes it damn hard for me to concentrate on anything. That doesn't stop me drinking coffee occasionally, though, I just add a lot of sugar as that counters the effect with me. And I drink way more tea than is healthy, so I've gotten a bit of tolerance for stimulance in general.

Alfred E Neuman
1031634.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote

That has to be some sort of record for thread necro.

djgordy
1031651.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Aparantlly it has been decided that kopi luwak (aka civet shit coffee) is cruel to civets.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24034029

Drat. I'd better stop drinking it. It's a real shame as it was the perfect accopanyment to my foie gras sarnies.

monzac
1031652.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:

There was a post prior to CharliesDragon's that resuscitated this thread. Unfortunately, that poster's breath smelt of spiced processed meat.

CharliesDragon
1031672.  Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:

There was a post prior to CharliesDragon's that resuscitated this thread. Unfortunately, that poster's breath smelt of spiced processed meat.

Thank you. I was about to desperately shout "It wasn't me, it wasn't me, it popped up on the new posts page!"

Marsupial Bob
1031692.  Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I don't know about allergic, but my husband tolerates it very badly. He gets palpitations and shakes even from a fairly low level of consumption. He can manage the odd Coca Cola as long as it's no more than a couple of times a week, but regular consumption of even decaff coffee (which still has a low level of caffeine in it) or drinking chocolate starts him off. In fact, when he was a student in the sixties and hadn't tracked down the cause of this, he was on medication which caused him not to be classified fit for active service, so he managed to avoid the Vietnam draft that way!

I know caffeine will exacerbate extant tremor disorders. Someone with mild essential tremor - which is remarkably difficult to notice at first, even if you have it - can trigger a much coarser, more visible tremor with enough caffeine. For me that's pretty much anything more than about a cup of tea a day. A cup of coffee and my arms will shake enough that I can't do my job. Two cups and I can't really even write.

That said, caffeine sensitivity varies pretty widely even in the 'normal' population.

CharliesDragon
1031711.  Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I have essensial tremor, got the diagnosis a few years ago and I'm on medications. I actually had to stop writing by hand in school because I was holding the pen so hard just to be able to direct it my hands and shoulders suffered.

djgordy
1031743.  Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:03 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
Unfortunately, that poster's breath smelt of spiced processed meat.

I suspect that "wake up and smell the spiced procesed meat" is unlikely to replace "wake up and smell the coffee" as a modern idiom.

Helpano
1326262.  Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote

i think that if you drink coffee for a longer period of time it stops working for you and if you stop, youre gonna have headaches and other symptoms

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next