View previous topic | View next topic

Elephants

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Philyra
191082.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote

My mum used to work as a graphic designer at a zoo in devon creating educational materials for school parties. She was drawing a sheet comparing the differences between african and indian elephants and she decided to re-draw the position of the african elephants leg.
When the sheets were given to the kids and they were asked what the differences were, one kid said the african elephant has more legs.
She then realised that she hadn't erased the leg when she re-drew it so the african elephant had 5 legs!

Not really a QI fact but it made me laugh :-)

Beep
191092.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote

can be found here.

ali
191094.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:

The elephants nearest living relative is the hyrax

Recent work suggests that while elephants are relatively closely related to the hyraxes, they are more closely related to the Sirenia.

indigo fugit
191170.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
indigo fugit wrote:

The elephants nearest living relative is the hyrax

Recent work suggests that while elephants are relatively closely related to the hyraxes, they are more closely related to the Sirenia.

Thank you for the hyrax info ali.

Quote:

Not 100% certain of this next fact but I can see no other explanation.
The elephant has an eye in the end of its penis ---- I have watched them mating. Its 6 feet long and appears to find its own way home

I would be most grateful if you could prove or disprove the above statement.

ali
191171.  Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I don't have any evidence one way or the other.

Hans Mof
191190.  Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:

Quote:
Not 100% certain of this next fact but I can see no other explanation.
The elephant has an eye in the end of its penis ---- I have watched them mating. Its 6 feet long and appears to find its own way home

I would be most grateful if you could prove or disprove the above statement.

Not an eye but a rather complex set of muscles. post 79152

Quote:
Furthermore, the penis of the elephant is like a mobile probicis (almost as flexible as the trunk) that can be manouvered into position during the course of copulation. The reason for this is because even though elephants will copulate on top of one another, there is a great distance between the male and female genitalia.

Davini994
192654.  Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:
...The elephant does not have a reverse gear

Could have sworn I've gone backwards on an elephant - are you sure?

Or do you mean that they haven't got a gearbox with a reverse?

;)

indigo fugit
192901.  Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
indigo fugit wrote:
...The elephant does not have a reverse gear

Could have sworn I've gone backwards on an elephant - are you sure?

Or do you mean that they haven't got a gearbox with a reverse?

;)

If you travelled backwards while sitting on an elephants back you must have been facing the animals tail.

Sorry I am wrong.

It is a kangaroo that cannot walk backwards------ I am forever getting these two animals confused.

smiley_face
192907.  Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:
It is a kangaroo that cannot walk backwards------ I am forever getting these two animals confused.

Indeed. The similarities are endless.

<tongue most definitely placed in cheek>

Davini994
193000.  Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote

ah that's funny, both of you!

The elephant was walking backwards because there was a tiger in front of it, and we were both a touch worried.

Can a kangaroo walk at all then? Do they not hop everywhere?

samivel
193009.  Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:17 am Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:
It is a kangaroo that cannot walk backwards

I've seen kangaroos fighting on the telly, and they can move backwards if you hit them hard enough.

smiley_face
245891.  Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote

Along with about a billion other unsourced things I've learned in the past little while, I was told that elephants (certainly around the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania) use their tusks on the walls of rick to knock out small bits of rocks. These are then eaten by the elephant since they have a high calcium content, so act as an antacid.

Rai Lord
402518.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote

frstly, no eye on the penis of the male elephant, but a bunch of chemotactic sensors which help the dude find its way. in addition he has an independent set of pumping muscles which drive the act i.e he doesn't do the bucking manoeuver as it would probably break his legs

secondly, the calcium may well be an antacid but predominantly it is ingested to help with dentition particularly of the tusks of males as they are needed for gaining mating rights. Compare the high calcium elephants of more tropical areas of africa to those that live in the deserts and firstly their (desert ellies) tusks are normally all broken and secondly they don't live as long due to their dependance on teeth condition.

indigo fugit
402563.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote

Rai Lord,

I am so sad......... a one eyed elephant penis would be far more interesting.

Zebra57
650894.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote

Qi is the emergence of two new species of elephant - the African Forest Elephant (more closely related to its Indian than African cousin) and a small Borneo Elephant.

Does anyone know if these two species have similar penile dexterity? Is there anything peculiar physical properties that Elephants have?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next