View previous topic | View next topic

Elephants

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cleverina Clogs
105050.  Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote

** Warning don't read if you are about to have dinner!

Baby elephants eat their mothers poo in order to gain certain enzymes for their digestive function.

I know it is essential for them, but it is still gross!

grizzly
105108.  Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote

What's gross about that. It probably has a similar texture to wet wheatabix.

:-)

(now that really will put you off your breakfast)

Gray
105486.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:08 am Reply with quote

Koalas do the same thing. The substance is called 'pap'.

Human babies also undergo a somewhat similar process, disgusting though it may appear. When they are born, their faces always (in a 'normal birth') are always turned in the direction of the mother's anus, from which they pick up all sorts of 'useful' bacteria and enzymes.

Quote:
The intestine of the unborn fetus in the mother's womb is sterile, devoid of any bacteria at all. However, during vaginal delivery the newborn comes in contact with bacteria-rich vaginal and fecal matter of the mother. These bacteria quickly invade and populate the newborn child. Saving of umbilical cords and the creepy ritual of eating the mother's placenta aside, this cycle links the co-evolution of intestinal "microflora" of the mother to child, and may represent a more significant bond for those who understand it exist. This evolutionary bacterial right of passage has been and continues to be critical to the success of our species, and all mammals for that matter.

Source: http://www.best-begin.com/inthenews2.html and most midwives...

swot
105686.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Nature is disgusting.

Gray
105699.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote

You have to admit it works pretty well, though.

BondiTram
105753.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Human babies also undergo a somewhat similar process, disgusting though it may appear. When they are born, their faces always (in a 'normal birth') are always turned in the direction of the mother's anus, from which they pick up all sorts of 'useful' bacteria and enzymes.

[.

Now you come to mention it, I remember now. Mmmmmm.

Jenny
105791.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote

So why aren't babies born by Caesarean section always sickly?

Gray
105793.  Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

I expect they would be if you could measure such a difficult variable as 'health' reliably.

The effects may also be drawfed by other sources of bacteria, which are, in my experience, pretty hard to keep away from a newborn baby in the first weeks or months of its life. Not to mention different sets of antibodies already in different babies before birth, thanks to their genetic heritage.

Tas
106224.  Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote

On telly last night was an item about recycled paper (I think the program was called Inside Out or something, and had Suggs presenting it). The recycled paper uses treated elephant dung in it's construction (about 8% by weight). The paper is called Ellypoo paper, and is sold by the press, which is a charitable organisation that only makes recycled paper.

Tas

Cleverina Clogs
107043.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote

I hope it's not scratch and sniff .... oh grief, that is revolting, why did I type that?

Tas
107211.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote

Nermind CC....it's already been treated to remove the smelly nasty bits.

Tas

djgordy
107224.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:36 am Reply with quote

Cleverina Clogs wrote:
I hope it's not scratch and sniff .... oh grief, that is revolting, why did I type that?

Serve you right if you're reincarnated as a dung beetle.

Cleverina Clogs
107691.  Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote

ooh you rotter!

eggshaped
127644.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote

In case anyone wants to search for it, the above paper made in part from Elephant crap is called "ellie poo paper"

Rather entertainingly it seems that much of the work is done near Hemel Hempstead.

http://www.elliepoopaper.co.uk/howsitmade.php

Only 5 shopping days til Christmas...

indigo fugit
140140.  Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote

The elephant is the only mammal that can't jump

The elephant is the only mammal that has 4 kneecaps --- and they all face backwards

The elephant does not have a reverse gear

The elephants nearest living relative is the hyrax ---- a small creature that lives in the roofs of houses

Not 100% certain of this next fact but I can see no other explanation.
The elephant has an eye in the end of its penis ---- I have watched them mating. Its 6 feet long and appears to find its own way home

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next