View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Clip archive

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

swot
104862.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote

Is the 'favourite moment from the show' thread still floating around? That might aid your quest.

JumpingJack
104865.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Ah yes.

The notorious Chicken Rogering Affair. Must unearth that.

The legal situation on clips on gadmp.c is something I couldn't possibly comment on, barbados. At least not in public.

swot
104866.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote

How about Alan's story about the pub owner in the first episode?

'I've got a 9ft long tongue and I can breathe through my ears.'

mary
104881.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
The really toe-curling clip would be the uncut version of Stephen and Alan having swapped places.

It came awfully close to irreparably uncomfortable...

What?? What happened? Please explain!

swot
104883.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote

How much did you cut out?

JumpingJack
104886.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

At least a third of it.

It showed graphically what an amazing weight of responsibility Alan carries on the show in normal circumstances...

mary
104887.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
At least a third of it.

It showed graphically what an amazing weight of responsibility Alan carries on the show in normal circumstances...

Im still confused - and fascinated. Can you give me some idea of what happened??

JumpingJack
104896.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote

Well, we put Stephen on the spot, mary.

It started out funny but then it became relentless.

The questions were EXTREMELY difficult, of course. They had to be to catch Stephen out. (He really does know a LOT of stuff).

But I think he probably thought that he would be up to the task in one way or another. When it became clear that he wasn't going to get any of the questions right, it stopped being funny.

Nobody liked it, not Stephen, not Alan, not the production team, nor (I think) the audience. It was very unsettling seeing the world turned upside down, as it were.

JumpingJack
104900.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote

An interesting experiment, but not one to be repeated, I can tell you.

What was particularly fascinating was how it showed how good the current fomat is, even though it actually came about by accident.

The original plan had a much more familiar shape Michael Palin in the chair, with Stephen as Captain of the 'Clever-Clogs' Team (plus people like John Sessions, Rory McG etc) and Alan as Captain of the 'Dunderheads' (with people like Sean Lock and Bill Bailey).

Had that ever come to pass it's interesting what would have happened with the General Ignorance Round, because obviously we'd have wanted to catch out both sides.

JumpingJack
104901.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote

Anyway, it was all rather unexpected.

mary
104902.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote

Awww. Poor Alan and Stephen. The part that aired was great though, and they seemed to be having a good time. Sad that it didnt end well.

Sorry to keep grilling you, Im just curious what you meant about the responsibility Alan has? Do you mean the responsibility to be wrong, cute, *and* funny all at the same time ;D

JumpingJack
104910.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Well, mary, it did end well, actually, didn't it? Because nobody at home spotted the discomfort. It was a tricky edit but it felt pretty good in the end.

One of the core principles of QI is that it should be both a pleasure to watch and a pleasure to participate in. There's quite enough mean-minded, cruel, nail-biting television to go round and it's not something we want to be part of.

Stephen runs a very happy ship. He's a great bloke and he does a great job. We certainly didn't intend to discombobulate him. It was an unforeseen accident. He knew (or thought he did) what he was letting himself in for and readily agreed to the jape.

As for Alan's 'responsibility', it is a very brave and grown-up thing he does not to mind being ridiculed for supposedly being dim. Which, of course, he most definitely is not. Nor could he conceivably be described as ignorant.

The swapping places incident shows that his job is by no means 'easier' than Stephen's. It just happens to be right for him.

Conversely, Alan found being Chairman extremely tough. Unlike Stephen, all he knew about the questions and answers that he was reading out was on the paper in front of him. He could not possibly have fielded supplementaries or argued a case for any of them something that Stephen does brilliantly on many, many occasions.

audrey
104916.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote

I've only seen this particular episode online (sorry!) and the bit where Alan first challenged Stephen then started looking through the questions on his paper really did make me uneasy.

At first I thought it was planned then it was uncomfortable. I haven't seen the entire episode so I'm happy it ended well!

Thank you for the peek behind-the-scenes. Alan will now be wrong, cute, funny, brave and responsible in my book!

mary
104964.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Well, mary, it did end well, actually, didn't it? Because nobody at home spotted the discomfort. It was a tricky edit but it felt pretty good in the end.

Well yeah, I didnt mean to imply... all I meant was its too bad it lead to anyone being upset. Thats always been one of my favorite moments.

JumpingJack wrote:

As for Alan's 'responsibility', it is a very brave and grown-up thing he does not to mind being ridiculed for supposedly being dim. Which, of course, he most definitely is not. Nor could he conceivably be described as ignorant.

The swapping places incident shows that his job is by no means 'easier' than Stephen's. It just happens to be right for him.

I completely agree. Alan is an utter delight. Im not sure quite how he pulls it off, I can't imagine anyone else being half so charming and endearing through everything that goes on.

Lumpo31
104968.  Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Anything from the episode in the C series when they're going on about cats; particularly (and it causes me to go into fits of hysterics everytime I see it) the bit where Alan asks why the cat is so cross...and so on.

Lisa

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next