View previous topic | View next topic

GRIZZLY BEAR

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

grizzly
104000.  Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote

The Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) Is a subspecies of the Brown Bear.

It lives primarily in the NW United States, Western Canada and Alaska and shares part of it's territory with the Kodiak Bear (another sub species) and the Polar Bear (currently considered a distinct species but there are some that argue for it being a sub species of the Brown Bear, I'll come to this later).

The grizzly bear does not hibernate. They spend the majority of the winter in some small enclosed space, often a cave or hollow, and will tend to sleep for much of the time. However, they will be easily woken and they will regularly emerge from their den during the winter.

The grizzly bear (with most borwn bears) is an omnivore and has a considerably varried diet. The fact that the grizzly will eat nearly anything has been a serious issue in Canada and Alaska where dustbins must have special locks to prevent the bears from wandering into towns to eat the leftovers (esp from those fat Americans :-)

Grizzly bears and polar bears have been known to give birth to hybrids in the past including the first wild grizzly-polar bear hybrid discovered in 2006. Hybrids are known to be fertile and to be able to produce young. Hence the reason why some consider the Polar Bear to be a sub species of the Brown Bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly-polar_bear_hybrid#_note-msn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Bear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear#Subspecies

Southpaw
104089.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote

Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods has some interesting bear anecdotes...idiotic American parents at a Yellowstone picnic area expecting the bear to lick the honey of baby's hand, only to have it bite the whole hand off, for example.

One memorable line that always makes me chuckle is the advice he reads in a book on bears by some academic or other:

"If you are cornered by a bear...[the professor]...suggests 'making loud noises and running at the bear. Yeah, right. You first Professor."

I also watching one of Ray Mears' programs and seeing an interview with a Canadian park ranger who had seen one of his colleagues killed by a grizzly he thought was tranquilised. Literally knocked his head off with one swipe of a paw.

The Luggage
104186.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote

A Walk In The Woods is a brilliant book. Having been on the Apalachian Trail myself, I can understand a lot of the things he talks about.

Southpaw
104315.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote

All his books are good in one form or another. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a masterpiece - easy to comprehend, and some excellent ways of putting things that make you gape.

Flash
104342.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote

Q: How do you tell the difference between a Brown Bear and a Black Bear?

A: If you're hiding from a bear up a tree, and the bear climbs up the tree after you, that's a Black Bear. If he shakes you out of the tree and gets you that way, he's a Brown Bear.

I hope this helps.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
104346.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote

Ah well, if you're going to die being savaged by a bear, at least you'll know what type it is. That's a nice thought.
Thanks for that, Flash :-)

Tas
104380.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

Also, lock toothpaste into an airtight container. Some bears find it irresistible, and will literally tear the house (or tent) down to get to it.

:-)

Tas

cabs
104398.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Also, lock toothpaste into an airtight container. Some bears find it irresistible, and will literally tear the house (or tent) down to get to it.

Dental hygiene is a big thing in the ursine world. It's what all the lady bears go for.

grizzly
104399.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

A: If you're hiding from a bear up a tree, and the bear climbs up the tree after you, that's a Black Bear. If he shakes you out of the tree and gets you that way, he's a Brown Bear.

I hope this helps.

BTW, both types of bear are actually able to climb trees. The only real way to tell the bears apart is the hump on the back of a brown bear that isn't present on a black bear.

Tas
104404.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Dental hygiene is a big thing in the ursine world. It's what all the lady bears go for.

's all the salmon we see them gobbling up. Fish breath is not good when going wooing a lady that could rip your head off with one swipe of a clawed appendage!

:-)

Tas

BondiTram
104608.  Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
[ The only real way to tell the bears apart is the hump on the back of a brown bear that isn't present on a black bear.

And if there is one thing that is worse than a bear, it's a bear with the hump.

Oh dear, I think I'd better go and cuddle a Koala.

Not a bear at all apparently.

Long Haired Hippy
104610.  Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

Russians Probe Drunken Bear Claim

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3834524a4560,00.html

If only for the double entendre

darkscull
123824.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote

the QI episode that mentioned bears and toothpaste also later on mentioned something about pandas and their lack of sex drive.

why not smother a panda with toothpaste?!

PS. i know that it only works with some kinds of bears, but i'm just surprised no one mentioned it on the show.

smiley_face
123831.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Flash wrote:

I hope this helps.

BTW, both types of bear are actually able to climb trees. The only real way to tell the bears apart is the hump on the back of a brown bear that isn't present on a black bear.

Would it be incredibly ignorant of me to point out that surely the difference between the black and brown bears is that one is black and one is brown!

grizzly
123851.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes it would Fi. Black bears can be both brown or black and the Brown bear is the same.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next