View previous topic | View next topic

Kangaroo

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

snophlake
103438.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote

A kangaroo can't jump unless it's tail is touching the ground.
Kangaroos and emus cannot walk backwards.
A kangaroo can jump up to 3 meters high and leap up to 8 meters.

Ameena
103499.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote

I seem to remember hearing (somewhere...don't think it was on QI...) that male kangaroos have two penises and females have two vaginas, and kinda get pregnant in both at the same time - they give birth to the first baby, which they carry around in their pouch, and then when its old enough to leave, the second one takes its place or something. That kinda sounds a bit weird to be true, thinking about it, but...well...yeah.

The Luggage
103507.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote

I just watched that episode, and the female actually has three vaginas, and noone is quite sure what the third is for as it doesn't attach to anything. It's just there...

grizzly
103520.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote

Only the males that are intelligent enough to find one of the other 2 get to reproduce. Hence the Kangaroo naturally selects more intelligent males.

Well it's a theory...

Ameena
103609.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:14 am Reply with quote

Oh oops I meant three vaginas...brain obviously shut down for the few secs it took to type that sentence :P.

The Luggage
103633.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote

Maybe the third one is just for pleasure, the way they don't need to worry about unwanted joeys....

Speaking of which, what does one call a female kangaroo and a male kangaroo? (like ewe and ram for example)

<edit> I just found what they were called.
Quote:
Male kangaroos are called bucks, boomers or jacks; females are does, flyers, or jills and the young ones are joeys.

source= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo

Ejob
157642.  Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote

I'd never really thought about the question how a baby kangaroe gets from the vagina to the pouch after it's been born - I just saw it on TV and it's incredible. The little worm (2 cm long, 0,75 grams, blind, deaf, naked, hind legs barely developed) sets out on a 3 minute crawling-climbing expedition along the mother's fur, guided by it's instinct and the smell of the pouch. Amazing!

scottydog
264198.  Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote

I'm sure they can jump fine with their tail off the ground. In fact when in full flow they lean way forward with their tails and heads about level.

I've seen them hop around a fair bit and have never noticed their tails down at all.

doujoux
406961.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote

I was at a wildlife park yesterday and i distinctly heard a red kangaroo pass wind as i was feeding it pellets.

do.fisher!
766879.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote

Re: 'A kangaroo can't jump unless it's tail is touching the ground'. I think the quote is confusing hopping with punting. Kangaroos and their relatives don't touch the ground with their tail at speed, but when they are moving slowly they use their hands, feet and tail.

The truth about kangaroo reproductive anatomy is even weirder than these posts suggest. Eutherian mammals all have one vagina and one uterus (which can be split, but they always have only one cervix). Marsupials have two permanent vaginae in a loop, and two uteri with a separate cervix each. Most marsupials get a temporary median vagina (down the middle) for each birth, which disappears between births. Kangaroos keep their median vagina after the first birth, so they do have three vaginas, but only if they are not virgins. Whereas eutherians have a vagina for both sperm and birth, marsupials have two for sperm and one for birth. This complicated anatomy is one reason why artificial insemination is quite difficult in marsupials.

Male marsupials have their testes in front of the penis, eutherians have theirs behind (as you have no doubt noticed). They only have one penis, but in kangaroos it is bifid (split in a fork).

Jenny
766900.  Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote

My goodness - you have to wonder what sort of evolutionary pressures led to the development of that system, because surely nobody would actually have designed it that way.

Zebra57
828075.  Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote

When cows digest food, they produce methane, a greenhouse gas, but recent scientific research has shown that Kangeroos of virtually methane free.

The reason is that the Kangeroo has a different type of bacteria working in its digestive system.

CB27
828165.  Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote

Not that recent, in fact it's so old it was mentioned on a Qi show a few years back :)

PDR
828169.  Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote

The Luggage wrote:
I just watched that episode, and the female actually has three vaginas, and noone is quite sure what the third is for as it doesn't attach to anything. It's just there...

I understand it wasn't so much three vaginas that were needed as three clitoruses - in the desperate hope that the typical male kangaroo might have a better chance of finding at least one of them...

PDR

Zebra57
828321.  Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Not that recent, in fact it's so old it was mentioned on a Qi show a few years back :)

Must have missed that episode will watch out for it on Gold or Dave

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next