View previous topic | View next topic

Koalas

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Lumpo31
219661.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Pisania wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up, Neotenic. I'm rather pleased that it's not true, because koalas are just too darn cute to die in a ball of flame. Thank goodness also, that I haven't been passing on that little piece of "information" as fact. Saved me from a lot of embarrassment.

Loads of koalas unfortunately *do* die in bush fires; they just don't explode...

Lisa

Pisania
219667.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote

She didn't seem very keen on their advances.

Maybe it's a joke that Australian safari guides (or whatever they are called down under) tell gullible foreign tourists. After all, I'm guessing that not that many animals in the wild commit suicide.

Neotenic
219760.  Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 am Reply with quote

After a couple of trips Down Under, I am fairly convinced that it is an Australian national pastime to attempt to freak out the tourists with tales about creepy or exceptionally vicious wildlife.

Mention to any Aussie that you've seen a Huntsman wandering about, and they'll almost certainly regale you with tales of 'friends' who have woken up with them in their mouth, or a similarly creepy tale, designed to bring on an attack of the shudders that can cause spinal damage.

This is probably, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for the Drop Bear myth.

grizzly
219764.  Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote

Or maybe Australians are unusually gullable and they all believe their own made-up stories.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2