View previous topic | View next topic

Koalas

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Neotenic
102921.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I felt I had to start this one off, as they are far and away my favourite animals. They're my first preference if reincarnation is an option too - no natural predators, nice weather, hanging about in trees, spend around eighteen hours a day snoozing and spend the rest of the time mostly chewing or mating. Fantastic.

I believe the fingerprint thing has already been covered elsewhere, but the most unusual thing I know about them is that in order for a mummy-koala to pass on the special enzymes and things it's offspring needs to be able to digest the leaves, she prepares a special poo for the baby-koala to eat, straight from the horses mouth (as it were).

I was totally mortified when I found that out.

Crunchy
102934.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote

So, lets get this right. You want to be reincarnated as animal that starts it's life eating shit? Metaphorically you've been doing that all your life!

Neotenic
103587.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote

True, but after that initial bout of scat-munching, life is a leisurely snoozathon.

Jenny
151790.  Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
True, but after that initial bout of scat-munching, life is a leisurely snoozathon.

Punctuated, apparently, by wild bouts of lesbian sex.

dr.bob
151837.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote

"One theory put forward by the researchers is....that it is a stress reliever"

<chuckle>

Archie
151848.  Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Neotenic wrote:

Punctuated, apparently, by wild bouts of lesbian sex.

And Sean Lock sticking his finger in your sphincter

Neotenic
212956.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote

Rare White Koala

This is the version of the story from the (Australian) Daily Telegraph.

charmingly, the only paper to have picked it up over here thus far is the Daily Wail, who have deemed it necessary to add their very own, oh-my-sides-it's-so-funny nickname of 'Paleface'. I despair, I really do.

AlmondFacialBar
212960.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote

and because eucalyptus is a mild psychedelic they're stoned all day. and their urine smells of eucalyptus too. michael stipe once states that these two facts make the koala the spirtually most advanced being on earth. bring me back as a koala, totally!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Neotenic
212961.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 am Reply with quote

AFB wrote:
and because eucalyptus is a mild psychedelic they're stoned all day

Sorry, but that is actually a spot of GI, there. There is a little plaque in Taronga Zoo dispelling that myth.

An Aussie explained it to me like this - "If your diet solely consisted of beer, would you be drunk all the time?"

AlmondFacialBar
212969.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote

ok, makes sense! shame, though, it's a nice thought... ;-) (that's what happens if you get your biological factoids from loony rock singers)

AlmondFacialBar

Tas
212994.  Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote

Quote:
An Aussie explained it to me like this - "If your diet solely consisted of beer, would you be drunk all the time?"

Yes. But then you would die very shortly thereafter.

Tas

Pisania
219533.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote

I once read two fascinating things about koalas, but I'm not really trusting the source. Anybody have a clue are these things true or not?

1. When encountering forest fires, koalas can burst into flames because their fur is soaked in eucalyptus oil.

2. A male koala in heat chases a female to the top of a tree, and sometimes, rather than mating, the scared female will jump to her death.

Neotenic
219564.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

I can certainly say that the first point is false, Pisania.

I've actually met a koala (called Harry. He lives near Brisbane) who escaped from a forest fire, but was left with a very nasty burn on his cute little nose.

Koalas are most certainly not 'soaked in eucalyptus oil' - they're dry and fluffy, although not quite as fluffy as I had expected. They do smell quite strongly of eucalyptus, though - which may be how this thing got started.

I think another way to look at it is that vodka is flammable, but a human does not become more flammable after drinking half a bottle of it - even if the chances of them accidentally setting themselves on fire are greatly increased.

I've not heard about the kamikaze tendencies of prudish female koalas before, but if it came from the same source as the first point, I would remain suspicious of it.

Pisania
219620.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote

Thank you for clearing that up, Neotenic. I'm rather pleased that it's not true, because koalas are just too darn cute to die in a ball of flame. Thank goodness also, that I haven't been passing on that little piece of "information" as fact. Saved me from a lot of embarrassment.

Neotenic
219644.  Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote

This video looks very much to me like a lady koala spurning the advances of a male (especially given the male's mating calls) - and not leaping away. Not definitive by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't seem to find any other sites reporting the phenomenon either.

Funnily enough, the film was shot at the same sanctuary where I encountered the aforementioned toasted koala.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next