View previous topic | View next topic

Rabbits

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sebastian flyte
314425.  Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote

:) Indeed.

 
Sebastian flyte
408952.  Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote

I have been trying to work out how to write the sounds that a rabbit makes. Cows go mooooo and bunnies go 'mn mn mn mn mn' quite low and deep. I think this is his romantic voice as he was with his friend (toy bunny) Margot Bumcross. He makes these sounds quite a lot. :)

 
Sebastian flyte
415070.  Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Further to the rabbit noises he made a goosey honking quack noise today you know how geese make that little soft beak shut honking when they walk along? A little like that but he ended the 'sentence' with a sort of quack much softer than a duck or goose but very like that.

 
indigo fugit
415202.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote

.
There is a psychiatrist somewhere who is using this thread to write his next book.

 
CB27
415399.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote

Don't look Seb, but it's nature at it's cruellest

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/09/29/eaheron129.xml

 
Colle
442941.  Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

Actually, rabbits can squeal really loudly!
I remember Freeby running away for two days. We thought he was gone for good, but he woke my mother up in the middle of the night by screeching and squealing at the front door. The poor thing had a terrible cold. But he recovered and, he must have learned his lesson, never ran away again.
My first rabbit, Weißpfötchen, also started screaming once for no apparent reason. Back then I told my babysitter, but she didn't believe me!
But none of my rabbits was amusing as Hoppel. He couldn't catch Fynn, so we had to hold her for him. When he had finally found the right end and was finished, he made an awkward noise, like a kitten, and fell onto his back, absolutely knackered.

Sadly, all of my eight rabbits fell victim to a disease. My sister got herself a new one. We called him Lolli.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfOKayc0DIk

 
CB27
442955.  Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote

Keep your rabbits away from Craig David.

:)

 
Colle
466138.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote

You know, I only just got the Craig David reference after watching an episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks. ^^x*

Anyway, to answer the question why there isn't a huge pile of dirt in front of a rabbit burrow, I'd say it's because they make a huge carpet of dirt to lie down on, because they don't really like lying down on grass. They much rather prefer a patch of cool, even ground. Grass tickles their belly too much.

 
QiScorpion
466299.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Colle wrote:
You know, I only just got the Craig David reference after watching an episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks.


I don't get it. :P

 
CB27
466327.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote

I hope for the sake of the bunnies that Craig David didn't get it either...

 
Bondee
645240.  Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote

From this week's Innocent Smoothies newsletter...

40 interesting things about rabbits.

I've only glanced over it, but it's probably ripe to be ripped apart by QI'ers.
: )

 
Zebra57
651173.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote

The Easter Bunny will soon be appearing in our shops. Qi is its origin in the pagan golden hare.

Did any cultures in history venerate rabbits for their fecundity?

 
dmottram
658804.  Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
The Easter Bunny will soon be appearing in our shops. Qi is its origin in the pagan golden hare.

Did any cultures in history venerate rabbits for their fecundity?
QI would be how the myth that it's origins are in the "golden hare" arose.

 
Zebra57
658861.  Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote

There are some possible leads although not necessarily linking Easter to a Golden Hare. I agree that this "myth" appears in many texts.

The Anglo-Saxon Goddess Ostara, was often depicted with a white hare by her side.

The connection between the goddess Eostre and the belief that she could appear at times in the guise of a hare may be a clue.

Some references claim that the origin lies in German immigrants bringing the tradition of easter and rabbits to America.

No doubt there may be many other theories to pursue.

 
dmottram
702734.  Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
There are some possible leads although not necessarily linking Easter to a Golden Hare. I agree that this "myth" appears in many texts.

The Anglo-Saxon Goddess Ostara, was often depicted with a white hare by her side.

The connection between the goddess Eostre and the belief that she could appear at times in the guise of a hare may be a clue.

Some references claim that the origin lies in German immigrants bringing the tradition of easter and rabbits to America.

No doubt there may be many other theories to pursue.

QI would be to find anything about this supposed Eostre, or Ostara, in the historical record beyond the name (in Bede).

 

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group