View previous topic | View next topic

No Bill Bailey?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Munchsack
97146.  Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote

Is this vicious rumour that Bill Bailey doesn't even make ONE appearance in series four true? Because if it is then I sure as hell hope he's in series five.

barbados
97156.  Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote

he was touring in America at the time of recording

dr.bob
97317.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote

And, according to his stand up show at the Edinburgh festival, meeting Carrie Fisher at a party while she was off her face on prescription medications.

He concluded that it's a bad idea to meet your childhood heroes.

Tas
97328.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote

Quote:
He concluded that it's a bad idea to meet your childhood heroes.

Only if they are off their face. I met Sir Alec Guiness once, and he was superb to chat to...and so was Bob Hoskins.

Okay, that's all the names I can drop (I assume taking a leak next to a very drunk Richard Harris does not count, even though he bought me a drink!)

:-)

Tas

BondiTram
97364.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
[
Okay, that's all the names I can drop (I assume taking a leak next to a very drunk Richard Harris does not count, even though he bought me a drink!)

Hope you didn't shake his hand.

My most enjoyable celeb encounter was with the late Alfred Marks, a deep voiced and quite dry comedian. After taking him in my cab to his hotel in Sydney many years ago, he paid the fare and we then sat there chatting for over an hour. He would have been a natural for QI, a very interesting man and, happily, (and obviously) one with interests on many subjects which coincided with my own.

Tas
97375.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:22 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope you didn't shake his hand.

I would like to say that yes, I did. We had both, I hasten to add, washed our hands after the aforementioned 'rest room break'.

Tas

samivel
97474.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I hope you and Richard Harris were in a urinal at the time of this leak.

Munchsack
97476.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote

I see, so he had a good excuse. Does anyone know if he's likely to release a DVD of his new tour? Coz I was in Bulgaria when he visited my home town, so I missed him.

Also, on the topic of celebrity meetings, I once met Alan Davies!

Zaphod Beeblebrox
97478.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Lucky sod.

Jenny
97562.  Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote

I was once in the Coal Hole on the Strand in 2001 or 2002 when an extremely drunk Richard Harris was propelled in the direction of the men's toilets by the people he was with - that wasn't you, Tas, was it?

Lumpo31
97617.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

My most enjoyable celeb encounter was with the late Alfred Marks, a deep voiced and quite dry comedian. After taking him in my cab to his hotel in Sydney many years ago, he paid the fare and we then sat there chatting for over an hour. He would have been a natural for QI, a very interesting man and, happily, (and obviously) one with interests on many subjects which coincided with my own.

Posting this for Australians/People who Lived in Australia:

About 9 years ago I was with my then-infant daughter at a cafe in Neutral Bay (we briefly lived north of the big coathanger). A dashing elderly gent, lunching with an attractive young man, called to me and said, "You have a lovely baby! She's absolutely beautiful!" After I blushed somewhat, and thanked him, I thought to ask, "Are you Stuart Wagstaff?" His reply was "Yes" (with surprise that someone my age should know who he was). I finished my meal and raced home to ring my grandmother, a fan of the man. He was completely natural, unaffected and unassuming, a lovely man. Oh, still is, but I haven't seen him since then.

Lisa

Tas
97625.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I was once in the Coal Hole on the Strand in 2001 or 2002 when an extremely drunk Richard Harris was propelled in the direction of the men's toilets by the people he was with - that wasn't you, Tas, was it?

I may have been there, but when I chatted with him he was pretty lucid and not in the "feeling fine/walking rotten" mode.

Tas

BondiTram
98385.  Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
["Are you Stuart Wagstaff?" His reply was "Yes" (with surprise that someone my age should know who he was).

I am somewhat mortified, bearing in mind having qualified on the grounds both of extreme age and having lived in Sydney, that I have no idea who he is. Perhaps it is because as a night driver in Sydney and at other times out in the sticks and far from a TV mast, I didn't see much telly in Oz. Tell me about him........or tell me about your granny.

Lumpo31
98405.  Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
Lumpo31 wrote:
["Are you Stuart Wagstaff?" His reply was "Yes" (with surprise that someone my age should know who he was).

I am somewhat mortified, bearing in mind having qualified on the grounds both of extreme age and having lived in Sydney, that I have no idea who he is. Perhaps it is because as a night driver in Sydney and at other times out in the sticks and far from a TV mast, I didn't see much telly in Oz. Tell me about him........or tell me about your granny.

Stuart Wagstaff - famous as the "Benson and Hedges" man on ads; came to Oz from the UK to star as Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady" (in the 50s I think) and never went back; a permanent feature on Graham Kennedy's "Blankety Blanks"; aw heck, here's the link to his Wiki entry (that alone shows how great he is):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Wagstaff

Wiki says he was here before My Fair Lady, but regardless...

Nanna's been dead just gone 2 years, but she was a dyed-in-the-wool Stuart Wagstaff fan, having seen him in the afore-mentioned "My Fair Lady". She always thought he was gorgeous. Given the attractive young man he was lunching with, I broke the news to her gently that she'd never stand a chance with Mr Wagstaff...ever. I note from his Wiki that he also made an appearance in an episode of "The Partridge Family"...must have been nice for him to have worked with David Cassidy! But that's purely speculation on my part...

Oh, he was also the Narrator in the 80s Australian cast of The Rocky Horror Show. Don Burke also visited him at his Neutral Bay home for "Burke's Backyard".

Does that help at all?

Lisa

BondiTram
99970.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
[
Does that help at all?

Oh dear, not at all I'm afraid, and after all your hard work as well (I even looked at his picture in Wiki), nothing.
I did say that I was particularly telly devoid in Oz. There are only 3 things I remember.
Graham somebody (I think) who ran a programme called Blind Date. Yellow Cabs had the contract to rush the winning daters between venues and one night I fronted up at Menzies night club armed with the instruction to search for someone named (somebody). The excitable young man who yanked open the door chanting 'Blind Daters? Blind Daters?' only succeeded in annoying me and after nearly telling him to stuff it he finally mentioned his name. Job done.
A sports presenter whose name escapes me but became famous for saying, in the run up to the Olympics, 'Mexico, that hepatitis-ridden country', climbed into the cab very drunk one night in Darling Harbour. Leaving him his privacy I did not start a conversation but after 2 minutes he got very angry that I had apparently not recognised him. He discovered that racial taunts get you a free ride, but a short one, and was back on the street very quickly!
The third abiding memory, much more agreeable, was of watching Rowan and Martin's Laugh In on the TV in the drivers' canteen. Classic stuff.

Sorry about your Granny, hope she took the SW revelation well enough though.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next