View previous topic | View next topic

Vampire

Page 1 of 1

Hans Mof
102069.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote

The Common Vampire Bat (Desmodus rotundus) is a species of vampire bat, the only genus of mammals that feed exclusively on blood.

Vampire bats feed mainly on cattle, horses and tapirs and other large mammals. Less frequently humans and bigger birds (such as turkeys) are bitten. The bats don‘t land on their victim but close to it. They then hop or crawl nearer to find s suitable spot to bite.

To feed they beginn with licking the area. Their salive contains a local anaesthetic. Then they proceed by shaving the spot with their teeth and biting off a patch of skin. The resulting wound is about 10mm wide and 5mm deep. In the next 30 minutes they drink 20 to 30 ml of blood, almost doubling their weight. The whole feeding process takes about 2 hours.

Common vampire bats have a strongly developed social behaviour. If a vampire doesn‘t get blood in two or three consecutive nights it is likely to die. Every night 7 to 30% of all vampires hunt unsuccessful. But their conspecifics show generosity and share their food by retching it up. Without this altruistic behaviour the yearly death rate would be 84%, in fact it is only 24%. A bat gains approximately 18 hours to avoid starvation by being fed in this way, while the feeder only loses 6 hours.

cabs
102256.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
The Common Vampire Bat (Desmodus rotundus)

Tubby Desmond?

snophlake
102379.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

A drug, 'Desmoteplase', has been created based on the saliva of the vampire bat thats been proven to be beneficial to stroke patients.
Depending on how much a vampire bat has eaten and how much protein they have in their body they can alter the concentration of their urine, making it more diluted if they've just fed or more concentrated if they're resting.

Crunchy
102419.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

snophlake wrote:
Depending on how much a vampire bat has eaten and how much protein they have in their body they can alter the concentration of their urine, making it more diluted if they've just fed or more concentrated if they're resting.

I can do that as well.......with a couple of pints in me. In fact, I'm one up on the vampires; I can change the dilution and colour of my poo if I drink enough Guinness.

Tas
102422.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote

Does that have anything to do with your 'nom de plume' on here, Crunchy?

:-)

Tas

Crunchy
102486.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote

LOL

Crunchy
102492.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote

'nom de plume' But I don't eat plums.....they don't mix well with the Guinness.

The pseudonym comes from boxing and my second name and bares no relationship to my Ablutions’......most of the time

Hans Mof
212352.  Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote

After tonight's show I feel that this deserves a bump.

Page 1 of 1