View previous topic | View next topic

The Most Boring Animal on the Planet

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

boiledpotato
143553.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote

Long Haired Hippy wrote:
Quote:
Hamster's Store Food in their cheeks - thats a bit interesting.
Their teeth grow continuously throughout their life and must be worn down by gnawing to prevent over growth.

Well, rabbits have the same teeth-length problem. I remember being traumarized as a child when I had to hold my rabbit down for the vet and he chopped little Smoky's choppers (poor thing had a problem... they didn't grow straight and blocked off his mouth).
But yes. I maintain that hamsters are still pretty yawnsville.

The band sounds cool though.

Ameena
143595.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote

And don't forget the other Hamster - the human one who presents Top Gear/Brainiac* ;).
I think hamsters are my least-favourite rodent. They seem to be asleep all the time. If you wake them up they're grumpy 'cause you woke them up. If they're already awake, they're grumpy 'cause they just woke up. And they don't have tails, so they can be hard to catch hold of if they're trying to do a runner. I don't think I can claim to have been bitten more times by a hamster than by anything else, since I've handled a lot of rodents (and rabbits), and various types have bitten me, whether by accident or not.
But I dont think hammies are boring ;).

(Yeah I know he don't present Brainiac any more, but he did...)

boiledpotato
144054.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
]And don't forget the other Hamster - the human one who presents Top Gear/Brainiac* ;).

I cannot believe I actually forgot about Hamster/Hammond.
Shame on me.

I always liked hamsters, since I used to have a lot as a kid, but I do have to say that they in their species is boring - anatomy-wise. But I don't know. S'just a suggestion...

(He doesn't present it anymore?! Then who does??)

suze
144067.  Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quote

Jim Moir who is otherwise known as Vic Reeves.

Ted-B
148469.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote

Long Haired Hippy wrote:
boiledpotato wrote:
How about the hamster?

I know we kind of gave up on the whole boring-animal thing, but I mean think about it. There's no interesting penis-length or retractable poisonous tongue... It's just a rodent, a child's pet. What do you think?

Hamster's Store Food in their cheeks - thats a bit interesting.
Their teeth grow continuously throughout their life and must be worn down by gnawing to prevent over growth.

The Hamsters is the Name of a Blues/Rock band from my hometown of Southend who I used to watch play at the Esplanade. That's less interesting but I liked 'em.

and the Russian Dwarf Hamster (also known as the Campbell Hamster) which was discovered in 1902, can climb on the bars of it's cage upside down

Ameena
148485.  Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

I think all hamsters can probably do that - I've certainly seen Syrians do it.

jaygeemack
152974.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote

Look up 'Boring' in the Yellow Pages, and it says 'See Civil Engineers'.

Mulvil
153019.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:31 am Reply with quote

Whats a scientists main form of contraception......their personality ;)

The front of hamsters teeth are made from stronger stuff than the back and its because of this that they get that chizel shape (because the back wears away quicklier (that should be a word but isn't) than the front)

Same is true of a lot of rodents.

Hamsters probably also have a diastema which is a gap between the front teeth and the back ones

Ameena
153023.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure about other rodents (though logically it should be true of them), but rats have a little flap of skin that comes down between their incisors and the rest of their teeth to prevent them swallowing bits of whatever they're gnawing through at the time. Oh, and (can't remember if I've said this before, but) rats also can't vomit. Or burp. But I've read that they can fart and I swear I've heard one of mine do so...when he was sitting on the back of my chair, right by my head :P.

Sprauncy
155104.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote

That's true, that rats can't vomit. It's why they're so easy to poison.
I've read in many places that pet rats (I have pet rats too!) should have a block of something to chew, to keep their teeth a good length. However, none of my rats have ever had overgrown teeth, and don't really show an interest in chewing anything. And then I read somewhere alse that rats actually don't really need to chew things, like other rodents, because they grind their own teeth down. Like when they brux.

I don't think fish are very interesting. You've seen one fish, you've seen them all really. They eat, breed, lay eggs, then die. ...Is there anything more to the life of a fish?

samivel
155107.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Swimming.

Ameena
155134.  Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Yeah rats keep their teeth down by bruxing, and also just by eating hard food - Reggie Rat is my brand of choice (Supreme pet food is a good brand in general), and of course that consists of crunchable things.
Giving ratties something hard for their claws is advised, though, if they don't generally get to go on any hard surfaces. My Fuzzbutt (yeah, Fuzzbutt-singular..since January :() has a brick, which I normally put under the water bottle so he's likely to stand on it often to have a drink. His claws aren't too bad.
Hmm better stop myself before I delve ever deeper into waffling about gorgeous fuzzbutts... :D

Sprauncy
155608.  Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote

I'm sorry your rat is now single. :( I had a single rat not long ago, and she was single for a long time. It's sad, because they learn to depend on each other.
My rat has a log outside his cage, which he sometimes walks on. He does have quite sharp claws though.
I only have one rat at the moment, because I 'adopted' him from a girl who didn't want him anymore. I assume she'd never had raths before because of the state of his cage when he arrived. She was scared that he'd bite her again, because he once bit her badly. He's still a bit nervous due to lack of handling, but he's never bitten me so I must be doing something right!
So we're all agreed that rat's aren't boring in any way, they are really quite interesing. And cute!

...Swimming is boring.

Ameena
155611.  Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

Yeah, rats never bore - they dig or gnaw instead ;).

Jannurst
196033.  Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:36 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Quote:
Sorry Dr Bob I still can't work out the "G" for any rodent....Gice, Gat, gerret, I'm sorry but you've lost me there );

G-rat ed?

a Guinea Pig is classed as a rodent

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next