20%  [ 5 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 25

dr.bob
102859.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quaintly.....you are a person. We are people.

I am the walrus.

Coo coo cachoo!

Tas
102863.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote

Eeeeeeeeew! Fish breath and a handlebar moustache!!!

:-)

Tas

Ameena
102864.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote

"Coo coo catchoo"? I thought it was "Goo goo gajoob"...

Zaphod Beeblebrox
102866.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote

That's what I thought...
*consults album cover*
Yep - "GOO GOO GOO JOOB"

cabs
102952.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
That's what I thought...
*consults album cover*
Yep - "GOO GOO GOO JOOB"

Isn't My Coo Ca Choo an Alvin Stardust number?

Billy Kettle
123952.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote

About which of the chimpanzee peoples are we speaking? It would seem that the Bonobo's are almost human and deserve to be called people. Their most people-like activity? Sex. They are at it all the time and not just for procreation - apparently. So there you have it.

andymac
123957.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote

Amie wrote:
I have to question whether the word people describes a species, damn dictionary specifies as:

people
plural noun
men, women and children

Doesn't exactly help.

That's a bad entry. Means hermaphrodites and arguably pre-op transexuals aren't people.
One after it in dictionary.com seems fairly clear too

Quote:
human beings, as distinguished from animals or other beings.

smiley_face
123968.  Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote

People is a bit vague to describe a species, seeing as early man couple be described as being a person while not being the same species as early man.

Just thought I'd post the picture from the wikipedia article. You know...

Homo Sapiens Sapiens

dr.bob
124108.  Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:16 am Reply with quote

Strangely hairless people there. Let's hope the aliens don't get too confused.

Billy Kettle wrote:
It would seem that the Bonobo's are almost human and deserve to be called people. Their most people-like activity? Sex. They are at it all the time and not just for procreation - apparently. So there you have it.

So, forget about language, writing, literature, art, technology, science, and civilisation, you're saying the defining aspect of humanity is casual sex.

Remind me to bring a camera to one of your parties.

Jenny
139033.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
DNA comparison requires context to be meaningful. Granted that a human and ape are over 98% genetically identical, a human and any earthly DNA-based life form must be at least 25% identical. A human and a daffodil share common ancestry and their DNA is thus obliged to match more than 25% of the time. For the sake of argument letís say 33%.

The point is that to say we are one-third daffodils because our DNA matches that of a daffodil 33% of the time, is not profound, itís ridiculous. There is hardly any biological comparison you can make which will find us to be one-third daffodil, except perhaps the DNA.

Jonathan Marks Department of Sociology and Anthropology University of North Carolina at Charlotte

http://personal.uncc.edu/jmarks/interests/aaa/marksaaa99.htm

smiley_face
139039.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote

In addition to Jenny's point, another thing to remember is that 97% of the base pairs in a human genome are "junk", so don't actually encode for a protein or anything.

It could be that much of the 98% which we share with apes is junk that doesn't affect how we are at all.

Jenny
156595.  Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote

People are more closely related to chimps than chimps are to gorillas.

Mulvil
157268.  Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote

Isn't the Bonobo the closest human relative?

It's one of two species of Chimp (the other being the common chimp) and studies put its DNA at between 98 and 99.4% identicle to humans

feynmanMH42
253181.  Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote

I don't think chimps are "people" per se.

But I do believe chimps should be given the same rights as humans; the right to life, the right to prohibition of torture, the right to a home (i.e. no deforestation) and the right to food and medical help etc.
So I voted "yes" even though they're not human.

Mulvil, we are equally close to both species of chimp. If you trace a chimpanzee or bonobo's ancestry back two million years then they share a common ancestor, and this ancestor shares a common ancestor with us humans around six or seven million years ago.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2