20%  [ 5 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 25

smiley_face
101801.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Are chimps are people too?

I'd certainly agree that there are many similar traits, but I certainly don't personally think they are humans. Equally, I think that perhaps they are aware of their own existence, and could demonstrate a certain level human-ness in that respect.

I'll probably add to this post when I've finished watching the Danny Wallace programme, but for the time being, what do you guys all think?

Crunchy
101815.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote

How can they be people. They can't use their thumbs like we do. Giv'em a Play Station and the're F*!+#d, they'd loose every time. What fun is that. No, there better off in the jungle. Besides there are enough people in this world without the monkeys joining in as well.

Has anyone asked the Chimps if they want to be considered as people, no I don't think so. All those taxes, mortgages to pay, stuck behind caravans for half of the bank holiday and then there's the daily decision of what to eat. What have Chimps got to decide, "hum, shall have that banana or this one". No Chimps are better off staying as Chimps.

dr.bob
102020.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote

I was going to ask "how do you define human characteristics", but I think:

Quote:
Giv'em a Play Station and they're F*!+#d

is possibly the most concise and persuasive argument I've heard on the subject so far. Must remember that one and drop it into conversation wherever possible :)

Southpaw
102024.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Also a fairly apt description of today's youth. Fat gits.

Tas
102034.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote

Chimps are Chimps. If they were people, they'd be called...er....people.

:-)

Tas

Ameena
102240.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Depends on your definition of "people", I suppose. I have my own, and following it means I can define chimps, rats, humans, tarantulas, and many other creatures as "people" ;).

Gray
102348.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote

Having watched that Horizon (a program that used to be about science once upon a time), I'd say no.

But the script treatment was clearly written by chimps. "Chimps look to me (after the briefest of glances) to be able to do very basic versions of some of the things that humans can do, therefore chimps ARE people, right?"

Brilliant. Well done BBC. Another once-respectable and credible programme bites the dust.

samivel
102688.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I was going to ask "how do you define human characteristics", but I think:

Quote:

is possibly the most concise and persuasive argument I've heard on the subject so far. Must remember that one and drop it into conversation wherever possible :)

Using that definition, there are many humans who no longer qualify as people.

dr.bob
102730.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote

I have no problem with that conclusion :)

Amie
102742.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quote

I have to question whether the word people describes a species, damn dictionary specifies as:

people
plural noun
men, women and children

Doesn't exactly help.

Tas
102792.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote

Men, women and Children seems fairly specific to humans, doesn't it?

Tas

Quaintly Ignorant
102799.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote

I'm a people.

I think

Tas
102815.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

Quaintly.....you are a person. We are people. You need to work on that, I think.

Hmmm....perhaps 'I are a people'?

Tas

Ameena
102817.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote

I am people. There's at least two of us - me, my brain, and possibly another one. Or maybe they're all my brain, except for the one that's me. Or something. Yeah ;).

Tas
102819.  Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote

I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.

Tas/Tas

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next