View previous topic | View next topic

WESTERN SAMOA

Page 1 of 1

Flash
101633.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

The other bit of Samoa is called American Samoa.

During the 1890s Western Samoa was subject to a tripartite protectorate, shared by Germany, the UK and the US and administered by joint Consuls. The Chief Justice had sweeping powers to decide "any question ... respecting the rightful appointment and election of native Kings or any other Chief claiming authority over the islands, or respecting the validity of the power which the King or any Chief may claim in the exercise of his office." This Chief Justice was appointed by agreement of the three powers or, failing agreement, the King of Sweden.

I'd just love to know what process of negotiation came up with that solution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Justice

samivel
101645.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote

My bet is a combination of alcohol, truculence and desperation.

Tas
101666.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote

Surely drugs were used too?

:-)

Tas

Jumper
107145.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote

There is a very nice walk through the trees to Robert Lewis Stevenson's grave in the middle of the island on the summit of Mount Vaea.

He was of course the author of such books as Treasure Island, and Kidnapped plus 'THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE' (1886)

suze
107229.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:00 am Reply with quote

Oh dear, I seem to be Team Pedant this week.

The country has been called simply Samoa since either 1976 or 1997, depending how you count. When it joined the UN in the former year, it joined under the name Samoa (i.e. no Western) and the country's constitution was changed in the latter year to reflect this change in name.

This name change was not a political gesture to lay claim to American (geographically Eastern) Samoa so much as an attempt to erase some colonial history. All the same, American Samoa doesn't accept it and continues to call its neighbour "Western Samoa".

Tas
107237.  Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote

The rugby team is known as Samoa. Many reports had the team down as Western Samoa up to, and during the 1999 Rugby World Cup. By the 2003 RWC, they were down as Samoa.

Tas

Mr Jafa
132509.  Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote

If you want to be very picky they are called Manu Samoa, named after an old chief.

iceman2
138614.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
This Chief Justice was appointed by agreement of the three powers or, failing agreement, the King of Sweden.

Why the King of Sweden? What does he have to do with absolutely anything involving a small island on the other side of the world that his country has no claim to or control over??!!??

BTW, is there still a monarchy in Sweden?

samivel
138630.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote

Yes, there is. The current king is Carl XVI Gustaf.

grizzly
138731.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote

You see him at table tennis matches quite a bit when involving Swedish players.

suze
138749.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote

You might grizzly - if you watch rather more table tennis matches than I do.

I was thinking about iceman2's question though - why was the King of Sweden chosen for this role? I'd imagine he was chosen precisely because his nation had no claim or control over a bunch of small islands in the South Pacific.

Sweden and Norway - a joint monarchy at the time - weren't involved in any wars at the time and neither were they heavily involved in the machinations of European politics. So I can see why the King of a neutral nation might be approached to take on such a task - someone had to do it, and it might as well be a crowned head with no allegiance to any of the parties.

tetsabb
138813.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Many reports had the team down as Western Samoa up to, and during the 1999 Rugby World Cup. By the 2003 RWC, they were down as Samoa.

Was it in 1995 that they thrashed Wales in the RWC, promting remarks about how would Wales have fared if they had played the whole country, not just the Western bit?

Zebra57
650926.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote

I believe that Britain allowed Germany to divide Samoa with the USA at the intervention of Queen Victoria to allow "Little Willy" to have his place in the sun.

Tas
665835.  Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote

Well, I hope he had sunblock....*winces*

CB27
665914.  Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Once it got done once side, he tugged at the chain and turned it over...

Page 1 of 1