41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
a bundle of laughs?
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

thePhantom
101180.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote

i have talked about them in the past but i think they are so great that they deserve their own place in the Qi Animal section...

did you know?

that hyenas are actually more closely related to cats than dogs,

a hyena has the most powerful mammal jaw in the animal kingdom,

a female hyena has both female and male sex organs; very confusing wish i could say more...

female hyenas tend to be more dominant, and rule the packs,

hyenas aren't just scavengers they hunt for themselves by opening their mouth, running at their prey, then closing it
(much more simple than lions)

grizzly
101204.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote

thePhantom wrote:
a female hyena has both female and male sex organs; very confusing wish i could say more...

female hyenas tend to be more dominant, and rule the packs,

This subject came up in As level Biology at one point. The reason is the female hyenas entered a situation where the more dominant and aggressive animals had an advantage in natural selection. Hence they evolved to produce an unusually large amount of testosterone (which causes the highly aggressive behaviour).

However, it also resulted in the growth of male sex organs.

Last edited by grizzly on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

grizzly
101205.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote

post 73802

grizzly
101211.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote

I've just read wiki and it seems to refute my explanation for the pseudo-penis (an experiment was done where androgens were withheld from the fetus and it still developed the feature).

Crunchy
101797.  Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote

I thought, or saw once that the female is not a hermaphrodite but has developed an unusually large clitoris that is a sign of dominance within the clan. It also give her the control as to who she wants mating with her.

Just imagine the size of the vibrator!

cyranorox
116985.  Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote

We have hyenas, three, here in OZ- Oakland Zoo, Oakland, California. Interesting to watch; quite presentable animals, with dear brown eyes and odd sloping asses. Able to reduce you to a damp spot on the ground in so many minutes. Always give birth to twins; always, one twin kills the other.

UC Berkeley has a [insert term of venery--ROFLOL?] of hyenas. I once had the thrill of working on an injury claim related to them, but alas it was merely a slip and fall while cleaning the cage, while they were out.

andrewmorris
125307.  Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote

I remember the pseudo-penis of the female Spotted hyena being one of the more strange lecture topics at university. The enlarged clitoris of the female does form a pseudo-penis and the vaginal labia fuse to create pseudo-testes. The social structure and hierachy of the group is reinforced by mutual licking of the erect 'penis'. What is even more disturbing is that the females give birth through their pseudo-penis. The first born often dies during birth as the birth passage is extremely constricting and the umbilical cord is not sufficiently long enough to maintain life-support for the duration of the birth.

thePhantom
126138.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We have hyenas, three, here in OZ- Oakland Zoo, Oakland, California. Interesting to watch; quite presentable animals, with dear brown eyes and odd sloping asses.
wow! what type? spotted?

thePhantom
137614.  Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quote

watched a nature program last night which showed unusual footage of spotted hyenas hiding surplus meat in water, both to hide it visibly and it's scent. i didn't realise they were that intelligent, obviously i was wrong.

Page 1 of 1