View previous topic | View next topic

GUINEA

Page 1 of 1

grizzly
101113.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:32 am Reply with quote

There are 4 nations that incorporate the word Guinea into their own name.

These are:

The Republic of Guinea (Africa)
The Republic of Guinea-Bissau (Africa)
The Republic of Equatorial Guinea (Africa)
The Independent State of Papau New Guinea (Australasia, New Guinea)

Guinea Pigs are not native to any of these nations.

sam@ashbyz
101363.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Oddly, none of the countries were ruled (or colonies of or whatever) by the same country. The Republic of Guinea was once ruled by France, The Republic of Guinea-Bissau by Portugal, The Republic of Equatorial Guinea by Spain, and Papua New Guinea by Germany then Britain. Could any of it be related to a Guinea as in money?

Flash
101368.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
guinea:
former British coin, 1664, from Guinea, region along the west coast of Africa, presumably from an African word; the 20-shilling coins so called because they were first minted for British trade with Guinea (but soon in domestic use) and with gold from Africa. The original guinea (in use from 1663 to 1813) was based on the value of gold and by 1695 it was worth 30 shillings. William III then fixed its value at 21 shillings, 6 pence in 1698. The extra 6 pence were lopped off in December 1717.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Guinea&searchmode=none

grizzly
101372.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Although FLash it still doesn't explain why that part of Africa is called Guinea (what is the etymology of Guinea in what ever native African language that our use of the word has come from) and why would New Guinea be called such?

96aelw
101403.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote

New Guinea was so named, I am informed by wikipedia, by a Spanish explorer called something like Ynigo Ortiz de Retez (he has an enya on his n, but I can't type those) in 1545, on the grounds that he felt there was a certain resemblance between the inhabitants of the two places. Why he should have thought this, and what form the resemblance was supposed to have taken, it does not say.

96aelw
101404.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Having said that. I just found another website which reckoned that his actual motive was that the coastline "remembered the coast of Guinea". Maybe they had been chums back in the distant but friendlier days of Pangaea. Although I would have thought they'd still have had to shout to be able to hear each other. Unless they communicated by getting Madagascar to pass notes, or something.

Page 1 of 1