View previous topic | View next topic

NETHERLANDS, The

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

zifnab
1084447.  Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
It was written long time ago and as a national anthem should be replaced by something that in this day and age is less silly to have to sing.

Ah, like the previous Dutch national anthem?? :-)
This was the anthem between 1832 and 1898

Wien Neerlandsch bloed door d'aderen vloeit,
Van vreemde smetten vrij,
Wiens hart voor land en koning gloeit,
Verheff' den zang als wij:
Hij stell' met ons, vereend van zin,
Met onbeklemde borst,
Het godgevallig feestlied in
Voor vaderland en vorst.

Whoever has Dutch blood flowing in their veins,
Free of foreign blemishes;
Whose heart glows for king and country,
Rejoice in song as we do!
He sings with us, united in purpose,
At the top of his voice
This festive song, pleasing to God,
For fatherland and king

'yorz
1084493.  Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Wrong on so many levels...

*cringes*

zifnab
1084838.  Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote

In S08E13 (Holidays) there is a discussion about dikes, and someone asks the difference between a dam and a dike.
The answer is simple: a dike is parallel with a water body while a dam is across a water body.
E.g. in Zeeland, the Brouwersdam is across the Grevelingen, the Zandkreekdam blocks the Veerse Gat and so on. Amsterdam is built on a dam in the river Amstel.
The dikes are protecting the land against the water.
Off course, sometimes people make a mistake. One of these is the Afsluitdijk, which should actually be the Afsluitdam.

zifnab
1085856.  Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote

Q: What is the only place (besides the obvious Normandy) where the allies broke through the Atlantikwall?

A: Westkapelle: on the tip of Walcheren.

To be able to use the port of Antwerpen, the allies had to open the Westerschelde. This means that Walcheren and Zuid-Beveland had to be conquered and the Westerschelde cleared of mines.
First the island Walcheren was flooded by bombing the dikes (near Westkapelle, Vlissingen (Fort Rammekens and de Nolle and locks), Vrouwenpolder, Westkapelle). Afterwards on the 27th October the British landed near Westkapelle and the 8th November Walcheren was secured for the allies.

'yorz
1085857.  Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote

zifnab wrote:
Amsterdam is built on a dam in the river Amstel.

As any fule kno, Amsterdam is built on piles, which snippet is told by every tour guide and elicits lots of sniggering. :-)

zifnab
1086095.  Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
zifnab wrote:
Amsterdam is built on a dam in the river Amstel.

As any fule kno, Amsterdam is built on piles, which snippet is told by every tour guide and elicits lots of sniggering. :-)

Sigh...
There is a time before that. I was talking about the founding of Amsterdam. The poles were used centuries later.
And you know what, most houses are still being built on poles. Keeps them steady on the place where you want them.

Alfred E Neuman
1086266.  Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote

zifnab wrote:
And you know what, most houses are still being built on poles.

As opposed to the UK where most houses are built by Poles?

Zebra57
1086678.  Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Do they have piles?

'yorz
1098100.  Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Email from my mother:

Quote:
Today in 1944 your dad and I fled Amersfoort. The German-occupied airfield of Soesterberg was destroyed by the British, who used phosphorus 'bombs' or -grenades (just like sparky little stars). I could see it from my office window. It was an eerie sight. Your dad fetched his pushbike, put the duffle bag with all our belongings across the saddle, and so we walked to Zeist, where we could spend the night at a Swiss friend's of your dad's.
Then on we went to Zoetermeer; along the way we got a lift from a truck full of fugitives from the just bombarded city of Arnhem.
We got off near 'Nutricia', at Zoetermeer. The truck was heading for Rotterdam, so we walked on to the Bezuidenhout [The Hague] where we surprised my parents (just before 20:00 hrs - curfew!) and could share their kidney beans.

'yorz
1098101.  Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Gosh, we can has lyrics?

[refers to the Dutch national anthem]
Apologies for this rather late reply :-)

William of Nassau
am I, of Duytschen blood.
Loyal to the fatherland
I will remain until I die.
A prince of Orange
am I, free and fearless.
The king of Spain
I have always honoured.

To live in fear of God
I have always attempted.
Because of this I was ousted
bereft of my land and my people.
But God will direct me
like a good instrument.
So that I may return
to my domain.

Hold on my subjects,
who are honest by nature.
God will not abandon you
even though you now are in despair.
He who tries to live piously,
must pray to God day and night,
that He will give me strength
that I may help you.

My life and fortune altogether
I have not spared you.
My brothers high in rank
have shown you this as well:
Count Adolf died
in battle in Frisia
His soul in eternal life
awaits the final judgement.

Noble and high-born,
of imperial descent,
Chosen a prince of the empire,
Like a pious Christian,
for the honoured word of God,
I have without hesitation
like a fearless hero,
ventured my own noble blood.

Etc. Undsoweiter.
There are a few more verses who are in similar vein.

[source: Wiki]

14-11-2014
1118658.  Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote

Today's single distance World Championships races will be the last international races in the current Thialf stadium. The Silverstone of speed skating, or rather the Wimbledon of Dutch darts.

After Berlin it was the second indoor track. The real magic didn't last that long. In 1987 smoking fans still had to get used to indoor speed skating, so Nicolay Gulyayev's 1500m race resulted in a legendary world record and Dutch fans probably hummed the national anthem of the USSR. It wasn't the last world record, later the Norwegian Johann Olav Koss improved a few longer distance world records there, but in 1988 the Olympic Oval in Calgary became the fastest track in the world. Nowadays Salt Lake City competes with Calgary.

Before the indoor era the M-themed Medeo speed skating track near Alma Ata, Kazakhstan, used to be the fastest (and highest) 400m icerink, with magic world records. Its altitude is 1,691m, and the wind could help the speed skaters during the whole lap.

New cities Almere and Zoetermeer (killing may be allowed when someone tries to say that Zoetermeer means Sweeter Lake), were competing with Heerenveen, not one of the Eleven Frisian Cities. Almere nearly (not enough fundings) did winn, but the new Thialf stadium will replace the old stadium in Heerenveen.

A new Thialf stadium cannot copy the more important altitude of Medeo or Olympics stadiums, but they'll use airconditioning, the airflow and winds to try to copy the Medeo magic. How long may the new magic, if any, last? I don't know that, one can copy the tricks, but it will be easier to improve a long distance world record there, and the older Dutch fans do like a party and long distances.

In 1987 the magic lasted about one year.

'yorz
1143953.  Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Two cranes on a barge, carrying part of a bridge, have crashed onto houses alongside the canal. No fatalities (apart from a pet dog), but several people were wounded.

https://youtu.be/8_nTLIuk6Hk?t=95

14-11-2014
1244844.  Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote

Dutch sports team merchandise:

Dutch pron.: Horror Snake. Frisian pron.: Horror Snitch.

'yorz
1244930.  Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote

Any explanation available as for why a Dutch athletics club would choose a word that -unless I am very mistaken and it's Frisian for something- doesn't exist in Dutch, and adopt it as its name?

crissdee
1244991.  Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote

You're reading a post from 14-11-2014 and expecting an explanation? Or a response?

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next