View previous topic | View next topic

NETHERLANDS, The

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

'yorz
1248694.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote

Today, the Wouda-gemaal, a pumping station in the Netherlands, and the largest still operational steam-powered pumping station in the world, will be switched on to get rid of the 90mm of rainwater that fell during the past week.

https://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=https://nos.nl/artikel/2192278-historisch-woudagemaal-in-friesland-opgestart-tegen-hoge-waterstand.html&prev=search

AlmondFacialBar
1248724.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Poes is also tends to indicate a female cat, while kat (pron kaht) would indicate a male cat, although both words can be used for both. Bit of a preference thing. Kater (pron kaah-ter) is definitely a male cat. It also means hangover, and stems from the German Katzenjammer (cat's wail/caterwaul).

We say Kater, too, btw. I don't think I've ever seen Katzenjammer in use outside slightly pretentious pre-war popular fiction.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

14-11-2014
1270858.  Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote

Kingbarney wrote:
I've always wondred if there is actually a region in The Netherlands called Holland or is that just a British myth?

Was. English names aren't that modern (Dutch, German, ...).

Holland was a powerful province. It was divided in two parts, to reduce its power. The government can be found in the South (The Hague), while Amsterdam (North) is the capital of the country but not of the province North-Holland (Harlem).

Main (former) islands not belonging to (North-) Holland anymore are Schokland (Emmeloord, northern part of Schokland), Terschelling (since 1942), Urk (1950) and Vlieland (1942). Recently Urk may have wanted an Oexit, leaving the province of Overijssel and returning to Amsterdam.

A proposal for new provinces still divides to power of both Holland and the larger Dutch randstad. The first proposal, to save costs and to reduce the number of governments, involved a merger of North-Holland, Utrecht and Flevoland.

Not the first merger of North-Holland and Utrecht. Flevoland mainly is a polder and three former islands (including Schokland and Urk), and is a new province. The second images shows that two of the larger islands in the north, Terschelling and Vlieland, now below to another province.

'yorz
1270868.  Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote

Haarlem (long aa)

'yorz
1272425.  Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote

Plenty of cyber attacks here over the weekend - mainly banks I gather.
Article

I heard on the news that the attacks seem to come from Russia, but that wouldn't mean it originated there.

14-11-2014
1297519.  Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Not Fry, but Fry said it too wrote:
To the king of Spain I've granted a lifelong loyalty.

Qibble. The king of Spain wanted to kill William of Orange, so ...

Wikipedia wrote:
In March 1580 Philip issued a royal ban of outlawry against the Prince of Orange, promising a reward of 25,000 crowns to any man who would succeed in killing him.

... the meaning should be slightly different. "I have always honoured the king of Spain" (in the past), or (in the past) "I was always loyal to the king of Spain". Probably not "Now I am still loyal to the Spanish king who's trying to kill me".

Alexander Howard
1297585.  Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote

The origin of the name 'Holland' appears to be a mystery. I have always held that the Dutch borrowed the name from Holland in Lincolnshire, which has similar geographical features.

Place-name references suggest that Holland (the original one, in Lincolnshire) derived its name from 'Hill-Land' or 'Holt-Land', which suggests that they have never been there, or that our ancestors had a sarcastic streak.

'yorz
1301714.  Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote

Shoarma/Shawarma/shaurma - in the Netherlands the meat in this dish will almost always be pork.
Yup.

14-11-2014
1310797.  Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
To the king of Spain I've granted a lifelong loyalty.

To the same king as last evening's King Phil.

'yorz
1314376.  Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote

Stuff you won't hear anybody say on UK talkshows, but apparently is OK on Dutch telly:

A renowned writer (bit posh-talking) thinks it's necessary to tell the world that having a nurse popping a boil on his chest at the age of 9 gave him his first orgasm.

As we have seen the other day, straight-talking is a Dutch national trait, but a bit of self-restraint/good manners wouldn't go amiss. Pretty gross.

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8