View previous topic | View next topic

Canada

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

cabs
106696.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote

Big eyes, nice beaver. I'll get me a ticket to Canadadia.

<and me coat>

Not a Number
107101.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote

cabs wrote:
Big eyes, nice beaver. I'll get me a ticket to Canadadia.

<and me coat>

*Prepares the Boots of Ass Kicking*

Ahem, cabs? Would you wander over here, please?

cabs
107110.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Yes, ma'am? Am I to be treated to some of your world famous cuisine?

Jumper
107121.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote

post 107120

Lets do a bit of linking of threads here...

Not a Number
107153.  Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 pm Reply with quote

cabs wrote:
Yes, ma'am? Am I to be treated to some of your world famous cuisine?

Yes. I call it chicken cabonera, with a side cabsicum salad. Perhaps you would care to take a peek in this extraordinarily hot oven.

Not a Number
108985.  Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote

Here are some QI Canada related facts courtesy of www.pch.gc.ca (a government run site)

When the Canadian flag flies along with the flags of the 10 provinces and 3 territories, the flags of the provinces and territories follow in the order that they entered Confederation.

George Stanley, a professor at Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario in 1964, suggested a red and white single maple leaf design for the flag because it could be seen clearly from a distance.

Vexillology is the study of flags and is a popular pastime (and for some a career!) around the world.Vexillologists often cite the National Flag of Canada as one of the world's most beautiful based on its simple design and limited number of colours.

America has Punxatawney Phil as their groundhog, and we have Wiarton Willy. What makes Willy so special? He is albino.

On the reverse of our dime is the Bluenose, a renowned Nova Scotian racing schooner. Although the schooner on the dime has been known as the 'Bluenose' for years, it was only until 2002 that the government officially announced that it was indeed the 'Bluenose'.

Winnipeg boasts of having the highest consumption of slurpees per capita in North America - possibly the world.

Before being renamed Regina in 1882, this lovely city was known as 'Pile O Bones

In 1998, when the Northwest Territories were split in two to form the Northwest Territories and Nunavut ("Our Land" in Inuktitut), a poll was conducted to determine the name of the new territory. In third place: "Bob".

An official provincial symbol for Prince Edward Island is dirt. Well, not just dirt, it is a fine sandy loam texture, is mainly well drained and is highly suitable for the production of a wide range of crops, including potatoes."

Canada's marijuana capital? No, not Vancouver or any other BC city as you may have guessed. It's Flin Flon, Manitoba. That's where the government grows its own pot for 'research' - or so they say.

Quiz: If I have a red bill, purple bill, a blue bill, one ship, 2 loons, 4 polar bears, 5 caribou and 3 beavers in my hand, how much do I have in Canadian dollars?

Tha-tha-tha-that's all folks!

Jumper
109621.  Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Not a Number wrote:

Quiz: If I have a red bill, purple bill, a blue bill, one ship, 2 loons, 4 polar bears, 5 caribou and 3 beavers in my hand, how much do I have in Canadian dollars?

Tha-tha-tha-that's all folks!

Ha-ha now it's my turn. At an exchange rate of $Can 1.00 = $NZ 1.3345

I think you have got NZ$102.10 (with swedish rounding). In other words you have one red note with Ernest, Lord Rutherford of Nelson on it, one gold coin with a kotuku (white heron), flying right, and one bronze coloured coin with a Maori carved head or koruru with Maori rafter patterns.

So I will swap your 3 notes and 15 coins for 1 note and 2 coins. That'll be lighter on the pocket.

(oh by the way your lot equalled $76.50).

Not a Number
109641.  Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Very good Jumper! Unfortunately cabs got there first and he claimed my last beaver, but you can have either 10,000 points in Canadian, or what's behind igloo number 2!

Jumper
110158.  Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote

I pick Igloo number 2 please...

CaptTimmy
123099.  Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote

The forest of Canadian Lake District is so dense that during winter the snow stays on top of the trees and the forest floor stays bare.

blau
178875.  Tue May 29, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote

A few facts about my fair city of Ottawa.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

In 1945, the Dutch royal family sent 100,000 tulip bulbs to Ottawa in gratitude for Canadians having sheltered Princess Juliana and her daughters for the preceding three years during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, in the Second World War.

The most noteworthy event during their time in Canada was the birth in 1943 of Princess Margriet to Princess Juliana at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. The maternity ward was declared to be officially a temporary part of the Netherlands, so that the birth could formally be claimed to have occurred on Dutch territory. In 1946, Juliana sent another 20,500 bulbs requesting that a display be created for the hospital, and promised to send 10,000 more bulbs each year.

What the Wikipedia doesn't mention is that all the bulbs are destroyed every year in case of a tulip blight of some kind. People try to steal them from the public beds before this happens, despite the huge related fines.

Quote:

On December 31, 1857, Queen Victoria was asked to choose a common capital for the then province of Canada (modern Quebec and Ontario) and chose Ottawa. There are old folk tales about how she made the choice: that she did so by sticking her hatpin on a map roughly halfway between Toronto and Montreal, or that she liked watercolours she had seen of the area. While such stories have no historical basis, they do illustrate how arbitrary the choice of Ottawa seemed to Canadians at the time. While Ottawa is now a major metropolis and Canada's fourth largest city, at the time it was a sometimes unruly logging town in the hinterland, far away from the colony's main cities, Quebec City and Montreal in Canada East, and Kingston and Toronto in Canada West.

In fact, the Queen's advisers had her pick Ottawa for many important reasons: first, it was the only settlement of any significant size located right on the border of Canada East and Canada West (Quebec/Ontario border today), making it a compromise between the two colonies and their French and English populations; second, the War of 1812 had shown how vulnerable the major cities were to American attack, since they were all located very close to the border while Ottawa was (then) surrounded by a dense forest far from the border; third, the government owned a large parcel of land on a spectacular spot overlooking the Ottawa River. Ottawa's position in the back country made it more defensible, while still allowing easy transportation via the Ottawa River to Canada East, and the Rideau Canal to Canada West. Two other considerations were that Ottawa was at a point nearly exactly midway between Toronto and Quebec City (~500 km/310 mi) and that the small size of the town made it less likely that politically motivated mobs could go on a rampage and destroy government buildings, as had been the case in the previous Canadian capitals. As well, its location away from the American border was important for military concerns after the War of 1812. The Ottawa River and the Rideau Canal network meant that Ottawa could be maintained by water from Kingston and Montreal without going along the potentially treacherous US-Canada border.

Other random bits about our fair capital:

Ottawa has the highest per capita concentration of residents with PhDs in Canada.

Some say (mostly Canadians) that the Cold War officially started here after a Soviet cypher clerk, Igor Gouzenko, defected, revealing a vast network of spies in the West.

The largest work in the National Gallery of Canada is the entire interior of the otherwise-demolished Rideau Street Chapel, which was original part of the Convent of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart.

The Rideau Canal is not only the world's longest skating rink (most years), it is also the oldest continuously operated canal system in North America.

greentree
191259.  Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen the rather amusing website Canadian World Domination http://cwd.ptbcanadian.net/index2.html

eggshaped
214117.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Home to the longest national highway in the world (the Trans-Canada Highway-7604 km)

The internet seems to think that Highway 1 in Oz is longer. Anyone?

suze
214147.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote

Hmmm. The length of the Trans-Canada Highway seems to be cited differently in different places - I've found both 7604km and 7821km. I think the difference may be to do with water - the TCH goes to Vancouver Island and Newfoundland, and the different lengths quoted may exclude and include that part of the route which must be crossed by boat. If we just include the continuous part of the route - from West Vancouver BC to North Sydney NS - I make the length 6501 km (although I had to construct that figure by adding up a load of others, and I could well be wrong). It's still - for now - the longest surfaced national highway in the world.

Highway 1 in Australia is quite considerably longer (around 20000 km), but encircles the country and therefore can't be measured end to end - disqualified! Furthermore, it isn't surfaced throughout its route - in parts of Northern Territory it's a dirt road which can be driven only in a 4WD vehicle.

The Trans Siberian Highway will be 9905km long from Sankt Peterburg to Vladivostok, but is not now expected to be finished until 2010. At present, one can drive from one city to the other but part of the route is a gravel track which follows an old trading route. Furthermore, about 200km of this route is in Kazakhstan - so this road is not a national highway. Canada keeps its crown!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Highway

Jenny
305799.  Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia, Canada has the longest coastline in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_length_of_coastline

Page 2 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next