View previous topic | View next topic

Nepal

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

96aelw
100627.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

It's probably well known by denizens of these parts that Nepal is the proud posessor of the only non-rectangular national flag still in existence, but I quite like the fact, and am therefore sticking it up anyway. Probably someone will actually know that it isn't and will say so, and then we shall have all learned something. Except the putative smartarse who will have trampled my lovely fact into a muddy pulp of misconception and falsehood. Serve them right.

I think it is true, though.

Hans Mof
100652.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote

Of course you are totally right if you define a rectangle as a quadrilateral where all four of its angles are right angles. Should you, however, have thought of the 2:3 or 7:10 ratio which is usual for flags, I am most sorry to dissapoint you. Switzerland and Vatican City both have official state flags with a 1:1 ratio (i.e. squares).

Well, they are rectangular nevertheless. So please don't take offence at my smartarseyness.

cabs
100664.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Of course you are totally right if you define a rectangle as a quadrilateral where all four of its angles are right angles. Should you, however, have thought of the 2:3 or 7:10 ratio which is usual for flags, I am most sorry to dissapoint you. Switzerland and Vatican City both have official state flags with a 1:1 ratio (i.e. squares).

Well, they are rectangular nevertheless. So please don't take offence at my smartarseyness.

Some flags are longer and thinner - Sri Lanka, par example, has a 2:1 ratio.

And Hans, btw, all squares are rectangles, so anyone who is defining a rectangle such to exclude squares is possibly thinking of the obsolescent "oblong".

96aelw
100724.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote

I knew nothing of ratios, but the squares I had taken account of. And all smartarseyness so far has been delightfully far from what one might call trampling, so I have by no means taken offence. I have however half hinched a hedge, a five bar gate and a potting shed.

Last edited by 96aelw on Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

barbados
100863.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote

I do know that Nepal is the only non commonwealth country to have a dedication on the commonwealth gates

samivel
100962.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote

For the Gurkas' actions in World War Two, I take it?

eggshaped
213644.  Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote

According to this site the two triangles in the flag:

...are very slightly diffent in size.

Quote:
According to the very precise construction details contained in the Nepalese Constitution, the proportions of the flag are 4:3 plus width of the blue border (which makes the upper pendant longer than the lower because of its sharper angle).

Apparently the reason for the shape is that it is based upon two separate pennants which belonged to rival branches of the Rana dynasty.

Ian Dunn
248753.  Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote

There is news coming out about Nepal. The country is to get rid of its monarchy and become a republic next year, in order to get Maoist former rebels to rejoin the interim administration.

The monarchy has become less popular in recent years due to King Gyanendra dismissing the government in 2005 and becoming an absolute monarch. However, in April 2006, he was forced to hand power back.

Story from the BBC

Sophie.A
606341.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote

Did you know? Nepal has a curious time zone in that its time difference from GMT is not a whole number of hours or half-hours: it is 5 hours 45 minutes ahead of GMT!

This is something I learned last evening from “Only Connect” on BBC Four.

I gather that the only other place whose time zone does not differ from GMT by a whole number of hours or half-hours is Chatham Islands, a territory of New Zealand, whose time zone is UTC+12:45.

suze
606473.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote

Good work Sophie.

I've watched last night's Only Connect just now since I was away over the holiday weekend, and my husband got that question straight off.

And world, see how useful these forums are - the same show also had a question requiring knowledge of the word "skyclad". Mind you, the Only Connect goblins appear not to watch QI - Hitler was a vegetarian, indeed ...

dr.bob
606565.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote

Did they say he was a vegetarian, or that he had a vegetarian diet? I was (presumably much like you) busily shouting at the TV at that point so I didn't hear exactly what Vicky said.

gruff5
606568.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote

Maybe, one day, the ever more closely interconnected world will scrap local time and simply use Universal Time (aka GMT).

Why not?

Sophie.A
606572.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote

Or maybe they can simply adjust all time zones so that they will all be a whole number of hours behind or ahead of GMT, for convenience. Malaysia and Singapore used to be an awkward 7˝ hours ahead of GMT, but at the end 1981, the two countries moved their clocks forward by half an hour so as to be exactly UTC+8.

gruff5
606630.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote

That would help, but why not simply get rid of local time? We did it for the UK when the railways first started running and timetabling needed to be simplified. Before then, every town had its own local noon.

Well, now we have the internet, huge numbers of international phone calls, intercontinental flights etc. If the clock shows 7.30 as the sun passes overhead (local noon) in New Delhi , what does that matter in our modern world?

suze
606676.  Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Did they say he was a vegetarian.

The link between whoever the four people were was that they were all vegetarians, and the qualifier along the lines of "actually, Hitler wasn't, although he didn't eat meat all that much" wasn't included.

gruff5 wrote:
If the clock shows 7.30 as the sun passes overhead (local noon) in New Delhi , what does that matter in our modern world?

You might think it doesn't matter all that much, but the experience suggests otherwise. China, for instance, officially uses UTC +8 - the time zone relevant to Beijing - throughout the country, even though the far west of China by the Tajik border is actually three hours by the sun behind that. And things like the working day are set as far as possible by reference to real local time, not by Beijing time.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next