View previous topic | View next topic

New Zealand.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jumper
215255.  Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote

With the NZ Government advancing the change over to Daylight Saving last Sunday most people here have discovered that their computers are all now an hour slow because the automatic update for Daylight Saving is still set on the old traditional setting...

So can every one else in the world please advance their clocks by one hour to match ???!!!

Jumper
224594.  Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote

It's getting crowded here these days...

I was travelling into work last Thursday and was thinking that the traffic seems to be getting worse as it is taking me an average 14 minutes to drive the 7km across the city centre to work (it used to take only 12 minutes when I first started here).

Then last night they confirmed my suspicion.. it is indeed starting to get a bit crowded here. The results of last years census have revealed that the population numbers for the South Island of New Zealand has finally climbed over the ONE MILLION mark...

This in an island that is the largest land mass of New Zealand. Seeing as New Zealand has a total land mass of 268,680 square kilometres (103,738 sq mi), which is a little less than that of Italy and Japan, and a little more than the United Kingdom, the South Island accounts for about half of that.

So imagine a land mass approximately half the size of the UK and then pour a million people into it, with 40 % of that being based here in Christchurch - and you can see why it takes me 14 minutes in the rush hour to drive from one side of the city to the other !!

Tas
224641.  Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote

Pour ten million into an area the size of Greater London, and you will understand why I have moved out to the countryside.

:-)

Tas

Jenny
224820.  Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote

Jumper - the state of Maine, where I live, has an area about two thirds the size of England (that's England, not the UK) and a total population of 1.2 million or thereabouts, of which maybe three quarters live in the southern half of the state. I think you and I may have a similar density of population.

If we get half a dozen cars backed up regularly at a traffic light, they call it a traffic jam and spend millions of dollars on building a bypass.

Jumper
227104.  Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote

So you are experiencing a similar "overcrowding" problem as well then Jenny.??

I hit a MAJOR traffic jam yesterday - it took me TWO cycles of lights to get across a junction... WHERE'S THAT BYPASS GOT TO???

Ian Dunn
349000.  Sat May 31, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote

The following are laws that are still currently in place in New Zealand:

• If you find uranium, you must report it to the government in writing within three months, under the Atomic Energy Act of 1945.
  • Under the Auckland and Manukau Canal Act of 1908, the Auckland Harbour Board can take any land needed in order to make a harbour-to-harbour canal.
  • Under the Mercantile Agents Act of 1908, shopkeepers must write the prices of books and magazines which were sold in segements using red ink only.

Many of the more unusual laws in New Zealand are often mixed up with current ones, to such an extent, that it is almost impossible even for professional lawyers to understand them. However, there is currently an attempt being made to tidy up New Zealand's statute book.

Story from The New Zealand Herald

Starfish13
588026.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote

Kiwis sneak up on Aussies

An earthquake of magnitude 7.8 on the 15th of July 2009 has moved the south island of New Zealand closer to Australia. The epicentre of the quake was somewhere under the Tasman Sea off Fiordland, and caused the landmass of the south island to expand westwards by 30cm/12in.

Tremours were felt in the towns of Invercargill, Te Anau and Queenstown, and a tsunami warning was issued for the west coast. It later struck with an average height of 1m.

Geologist reported that the quake was the biggest to strike NZ for 80years.

Jumper
677331.  Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Finally one of New Zealand's Television stations has finally seen the light and added QI to its programmimg.

Describged in 'The Press' today in the weekly TV pullout "The Box' as "The world's greatest quiz show" Prime TV are starting sweries six (F) at 9:55pm on Sunday.

The drought is over...

AlmondFacialBar
677333.  Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote

YAY! :-D

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Jumper
906161.  Thu May 03, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote

My wife and I were trying to compare New Zealand to the UK for a visitor recently who was sure the UK was bigger all round... So I did a bit of googling for some answers and what I found surprised me. Looking at the list it reminds me of those card games I used to play as a kid. If you could pick a fact from your card that was greater than your opponents card you would win his card and then take another turn.

So some QI card game facts for NZ & UK...

New Zealand

Highest point: Mount Cook (3,754 m or 12313 ft)
Deepest lake: Lake Hauroko (462 m or 1515 ft)
Largest lake: Lake Taupo (606 km or 234 miles)
Longest river: Waikato River (425 km or 264 miles long)
Largest glacier: Tasman Glacier (29 km or 18 miles long)
Deepest cave: Nettlebed, Mount Arthur (889 m or 2916 ft)
Highest waterfall: (single-drop) Sutherland Falls near the Milford Track, with a drop of 580m.
Length of coastline: 15,811 km (9824 miles)
Furthest point away from the sea in NZ: 119.44 kilometres (74.22 mi)
Total land area: 268 000 sq km
Population: 4.2 million

United Kingdom

Highest point: Ben Nevis in Scotland (1,343m or 4,406 ft)
Deepest Lake:Loch Morar in Scotland, (310 m or 1,017 ft)
Largest lake:Lough Neagh 396sq.km (153 sq miles)
Longest river: The Severn, 322 km long.
Largest glacier: There are none left, so it's probably an ice cube in your fridge.
Deepest cave: Ogof Ffynnon Ddu, Powys, Wales, 308 m (1,010 ft) deep
Highest waterfall: Eas a'Chual Aluinn, from Glas Bheinn, Scotland, with a drop of 200 m
Length of coastline: 17,820 km or 11,073 miles.
The place furthest from the coast is Coton in the Elms in Derbyshire 113 kilometres (70 mi)
Total land area: 244,110 sq km (94,251 sq miles)
Population: 62,698,362 (July 2011 est.)

Interesting that the total land area of NZ is greater but the UK's coastline is longer...(Must be all those wrinkly bits in Scotland)

Jumper
949955.  Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote

4,444,444 and counting...

Earlier this week it was announced that New Zealand has hit the milestone population figure of four million, four hundred and forty four thousand, four hundred and forty four people.

The balanced number of 4,444,444 was achieved on November 1st. We remained at that figure for about 15 minutes.

These types of landmarks are quite rare. Our population hit 3,333,333 in the mid-1980s and based on Statistics New Zealand's projections, we probably won’t get to 5,555,555 for another 30 years.

New Zealand's population is estimated to increase by one person every 15 minutes and 44 seconds.

This is based on:-
one birth every 8 minutes and 25 seconds
one death every 16 minutes and 26 seconds
a net migration gain of one New Zealand resident every 178 minutes, and 47 seconds.

This ranks us as the 122nd most populated country in the world...

CB27
949968.  Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote

You're catching up :)

Zebra57
1028321.  Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote

North Island and South Island are to be officially named.

http://www.ibtimes.com/new-zealand-finally-names-its-islands-gives-four-options-1421924

salamander
1081631.  Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote

If you really want to compete with your british friend how about the reguarity of nz appearing on *most liveable city,transparent country,peaceful countr etc etc et al

Peeeeeteeeee
1101124.  Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote

The Maui story at the start of this post is not far from the truth.

The real story probably started in Taiwan though.

Chinese liked to trade but were not a particularly big race of people, so they took men from Taiwan with them (as body guards). These body guards were quite aggressive and posed a danger to the chinese traders. The story is, they wanted to 'get ride of them' but the Scottish stepped and said you can't kill them. So they dropped them of on (what is now) New Zealand. They fought and bred with a number of races for hundreds of years. Creating there own new race (Maori) and also some pretty good combat skills. Then the English came (and I think we all know the rest.)

Most of this history has been destroyed in New Zealand so the best evidence left is probably with countries like Scotland, China and Spain.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next