View previous topic | View next topic

Sharks

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Hans Mof
100672.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Hans Mof wrote:
It is more likely to die from ... falling coconuts.

Do you have the stats on that, Hans? It's an idea we have wondered about in the past.

According to German Wikipedia 150 people/year die from falling coconuts. They refer to insurance companies' accident statistics but, alas, provide no better source.

Ameena
100676.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote

There was that big list of "people killed by strange things" in one earlier episode of QI (can't remember which series)...I know one of the methods of death was by toilets or toilet seats. Ohh, and tea cosies...

Flash
100682.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote

Someone called nessuno posted this after Stephen made the "150 deaths" assertion:
Quote:
This nugget of rubbish appears to have been plucked out of thin air in an ABC documentary which sought to prove that sharks had a bad press.

The Straight Dope carried a special column on this very question and was charmingly dismissive. The main problem seems to be that no-one actually keeps track of coconut assaults, and therefore the number of injuries and deaths attributable to this seed is completely unknown.

Then violetriga pointed out that:
Quote:
The Straight Dope article can be found at http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020719.html and is quite comprehensive.

barbados
100864.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Sharks can "fly" though.
This is the name given when Great Whites breach
there's an example here
At first it was thought it was exclusively South African Great Whites that "flew" because of a large shelf off the coast of Seal Island, however it has since been discovered that the sharks from the shallower waters in Australia and off the US coast do the same

did you know....
100873.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote

[quote="Hans Mof"]Only four species of shark are known to fatally attack humans: great white, bull shark, tiger, oceanic whitetip. In 2005 there were 58 recorded unprovoked attacks of which four were fatal. It is more likely to die from lightning strikes or falling coconuts.

On the other hand, man kills 200 million sharks per year (6 per second).[/quote]

is that just a count regular sharks that attack humans because i think there must have been another type of shark kill someone at some point.

JumpingJack
100874.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

did you know...

In the nicest possible way, can you please make a bit more effort with your typography and spelling? It makes your posts difficult to read...

did you know....
100875.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote

a) my spellings rubbish, get used to it and b) whats typography mean?

Ameena
100934.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Different forums (err, fora) are populated by different types of people, depending on the subjects being discussed. The type of people who inhabit this particular forum largely consist of the pedantic, nitpicky types who much prefer that their fellow members use correct grammar and spelling in their posts. JumpingJack is just politely mentioning that typing messages using no punctuation or capital letters (etc) makes it hard for most of the rest of us to read it - we don't want to have to translate a message in order to figure out what it says. That's all.

samivel
100963.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote

did you know.... wrote:
a) my spellings rubbish, get used to it

Do your teachers accept that as a valid argument?

did you know.... wrote:
and b) whats typography mean?

At school, there will be these books called 'dictionaries'. They tell you what words mean. Pick one up, open it, find the entry for 'typography'* and read it.

*Hint: Try looking under T.

dr.bob
100988.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Some larger species of sharks are some of the very few fish that are able to maintain a body temperature different to the temperature of the surrounding water. A rete mirabile system is employed in these species of shark (a counter current exchange system that reduces the loss of body heat).

This is a remarkably clever system. Apparently (or, at leat, so I read somewhere several years ago) the blood vessels of such sharks are carefully laid out so that each artery which heads up to the surface of the skin runs directly alongside a vein carrying blood back from the skin's surface.

This causes some of the heat in the blood in the artery to transfer across to the cold blood in the vein, warming it up before it re-enters the core blood supply. In this way, heat loss from the skin's surface is minimised.

Another quite interesting thing I remember reading about sharks is that they taste of piss. It's true that, when people cook shark meat, they have to boil it for quite some time to remove the horrible taste.

This is due to the fact that cartilaginous fishes (sharks, skates, and rays) have developed very high levels of urea in their blood. Compared to typical vertebrate levels of 0.01-0.03% urea in the blood, cartilaginous fishes have levels of as much as 2.5% urea in the blood. This is to make the fish isotonic with respect to the seawater around them and allows them to live in osmotic balance with its environment.

Tas
101007.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Only four species of shark are known to fatally attack humans: great white, bull shark, tiger, oceanic whitetip.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Mako's attack humans too... Or did I dream it?

:-)

Tas

swot
101229.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote

did you know.... wrote:
a) my spellings rubbish, get used to it

Download a toolbar from google or yahoo et al and use the spell check function.

did you know....
101231.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote

[quote="samivel"][quote="did you know...."]a) my spellings rubbish, get used to it[/quote]

Do your teachers accept that as a valid argument?

[quote="did you know...."]and b) whats typography mean?[/quote]

At school, there will be these books called 'dictionaries'. They tell you what words mean. Pick one up, open it, find the entry for 'typography'* and read it.

yes my teachers do accpet that as a valid argument and be our dictionaries dont have long words like typohraphy in. dunno why.

[size=9]*Hint: Try looking under T.[/size][/quote]

thePhantom
101234.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The type of people who inhabit this particular forum largely consist of the pedantic, nitpicky types who much prefer that their fellow members use correct grammar and spelling in their posts

firstly it's 'there are books called dictionaries'
secondly please learn how to quote and use sizes/colours/bold etc because it's hurting my head.
and thirdly i dont think
Quote:
typohraphy
will be in your school dictinaries as it doesn't exist.

did you know....
101235.  Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote

i dunno, thats how it comes up when i click the "quote" button...so i blame the computer

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next