View previous topic | View next topic

Brand New Information

Page 41 of 41
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41

Celebaelin
58238.  Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Never crossed my mind (and that's a short journey).

Silas Sticklebrick
59133.  Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote

It's snowing outside.

Silas

Celebaelin
59138.  Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote

No it isn't!

(You were expecting maybe inside?)

eggshaped
77904.  Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Malaysia is the world's largest producer of rubber, and is home to the world's largest pencil

tetsabb
77907.  Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Malaysia is the world's largest producer of rubber, and is home to the world's largest pencil

That conjures up a bizarre image in my brain....

eggshaped
77908.  Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote

This image?

tetsabb
77909.  Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote

..and a bunch of little malaysian guys trying to rub out what it has written! (with all that rubber!)

Mr Grue
79912.  Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote

I see it's a 2b - I wonder if it would have been more difficult to make a harder pencil that size...

...or whether they were going all Hamlet on us.

tetsabb
80101.  Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote

Mr Grue wrote:
I see it's a 2b - I wonder if it would have been more difficult to make a harder pencil that size...

...or whether they were going all Hamlet on us.

What? Smoking cheap cigars???????

Kevino7
81616.  Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote

Thats gives an image of little malaysian guys joining the Royal Shakespeare company. That would be kinda fun.

eggshaped
100775.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote

"Canker" is a disease which affects conkers.

s: sky news

did you know....
100777.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote

all animals can be homosexual

eggshaped
100783.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote

A bold statement DYK. All animals?

BobTheScientist
867214.  Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
Lynn Margulis is wonderful.

Her books "What Is Life?" and "Five Kingdoms" were key drivers at the start of QI.

I didn't know she was married to Carl Sagan, though, or that she was into Gaia theory, both of which make her all the more admirable.

I was really sorry to learn that Lynn Margulis died last Tuesday (22 Nov 11) evening after sustaining a left-hemisphere stroke the previous Thursday. She'd written a living will asking not to be fed and ventilated under such circumstances and her family stood by her on that.
I took her BI504 Evolution course in Graduate School in the early 80s which was wonderful and mad. In a full semester course she only reached the base of the Cambrian (600 mya) in the last two sessions: all of what "bigger than a bread-box" biologists would treat for a whole course (indeed for a whole life-time of research) was summarised in a couple of hours. Dinosaurs, flowering plants, fish, trilobites, australopithecus, and everything moving on the Serengeti were handled as a marginally interesting wart on the whole edifice of evolution on earth. Everything that you could see with the unaided eye -both living and fossil - were "essentially the same"; that they all used the Kreb's cycle was only one source of commonality. That course told me that there was more in the living world than Horatio (or I) could dream of.

One way in which she shifted the burden of thinking and learning from passive to active was to hold an Organism Day in the middle of the course, where all the students were required to go out, find and bring to class a living thing and talk about it for 5 minutes covering its size, shape colour, evolution, ecology, economic importance etc. and write a 500 word report. I went out to a place mentioned by Thoreau in Concord Mass called Gowing's swamp and now know enough QI stuff about Spahgnum moss to rivet a dozen chartered accountants. Indeed I probably remember more about Sphagnum than about all the merely Interesting stuff Lynn taught us about stromatolytes, the Entner–Doudoroff pathway, the invisible genome of cilia and Myxotricha.

Hats off, gentlemen!

Page 41 of 41
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41