RUSSIA

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Wass
140918.  Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:
Oh! And they like vodka, lots of it!

Mainly because there is bugger all to do in the winter. The Finns also drink vast quantities of this.

:-)

Tas

bugger all to do all year around :)

i like Guinness though - a couple of pints a day keeps the doctor away :)

strukkanurv
140942.  Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote

Provided the doctor likes Guinness.

BondiTram
141148.  Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote

strukkanurv wrote:
Provided the doctor likes Guinness.

I would have thought that would have encouraged him to come.

Still, if you're ill, I suppose it's a good thing.

Hoederer
202065.  Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote

Dostoyevsky often refers to Russia as the Land of the Rus.

Beer is also widely drunk in Russia. This is encouraged by the government who see it as a healthier alternative top vodka.

Natalia
332374.  Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by Natalia on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Dunn
351503.  Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote

I've just read this quite interesting article on The International Herald Tribune about Russian media.

In the article, it claims that there is a "Stop list", which contains a list of political opponents and critics of the government which are not allowed on Russian television. One recent example is that of Mikhail Delyagin, a political analyst who attacked Vladmir Putin on The People Want to Know on TV Center who was airbrushed out of an entire programme. The plan did not completely work, as is evidenced in one shot were Delyagin's disembodied legs are still visable.

In another incident, some actors made some mild jokes about Putin and Dmitri Medvedev at an televised award ceremony and the actors were then "expunged". Satirical humour is almost non-existant on Russian television.

Tribis
829754.  Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote

Hoederer wrote:
Dostoyevsky often refers to Russia as the Land of the Rus.

Beer is also widely drunk in Russia. This is encouraged by the government who see it as a healthier alternative top vodka.

Not really. Now they are going to forbid to sell it after 11 pm. However, it is still a problem.

Last edited by Tribis on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Zebra57
829760.  Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the QI forum Tribis.

Zebra57
1059850.  Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote

Sir Max Hastings has claimed that Russia has only three worthwhile exports: Oil, Gas and Fear. Putin's reasoning for sending troops into Crimea, echoes statements issued by Germany to justify marching into Sudetenland

knightmare
1059987.  Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Putin's reasoning for sending troops into Crimea, echoes statements issued by Germany to justify marching into Sudetenland

Not only Sudetenland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai32FHkFUhc

CB27
1060445.  Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote

It was quite strange that yesterday I mentioned to a friend on the phone that the whole situation and rhetoric from Russia over Crimea and the near appeasement by other nations made me recall the situation in the Sudatenland, and he thought I was over dramatic. Then this morning I see it mentioned several times ni letters to newspapers. The fact it's so blatantly obvious to so many people is rather scary.

Zebra57
1060483.  Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote

The domino theory would identify parts of North East Estonia where Russian immigrants outnumber the Estonians potentially becoming a flashpoint. Moldavia and Kazakhstan also have potential for a Russian land grab.

Some commentators believe that Russia could be heading for troubled waters with its numerous ethnic minorities within its boundaries.

Zebra57
1060487.  Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote

The areas of Crimea, the Caucasus and other border regions under Stalin were ethnically cleansed. Russian dominance of populations in these areas followed a policy of "Russification".

Stalin is much admired by Putin, whose strong arm tactics mirror Stalinist diplomacy. The treatment of the Tartars, expelled at gunpoint from towns like Yalta so Russia could use land for its privileged elite was shameful. The return of the Tartars only came under the flag of Ukraine. Their future.........?

knightmare
1060492.  Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
this morning I see it mentioned several times ni letters to newspapers. The fact it's so blatantly obvious to so many people is rather scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqVc7kDtV_M

But please do be careful with comparing things, it isn't a perfect match...

MollyGreenwood
1161506.  Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote

In response to the discussion about stereotypical Russian drinks, of which vodka is probably most often cited, I found a pretty cool etymology of the word.

The word for water in Russian is вода ('vada'), and so vodka (водка) is actually an diminutive term meaning something like 'little water'. (I learned this from Babbel.com's Russian course).

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next