View previous topic | View next topic

VATICAN CITY

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Ian Dunn
579644.  Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Vatican Radio has for the first time started to broadcast adverts. The first is for an electricity company - Enel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8135753.stm

AlmondFacialBar
897683.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote

According to the CIA World Fact Book the Vatican has a population growth rate of 0.004%, which puts it ahead of 40 states whose population is officially allowed to shag. I find that rather puzzling...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
897715.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Some of the Vatican population are allowed to shag. The Swiss Guard hires only male Swiss nationals between 19 and 30 who are Roman Catholic, German-speaking, unmarried, and virginal, and one initially signs up for two years.

But after three years service, Guardsmen are permitted to marry if they sign up for at least three more years. The maximum length of service is twenty five years, so no one gets more than twenty two years of legitimate shagging as a Vatican resident.

The population of the Vatican is in the region of one thousand, which means that even an increase of one in a given year would be equivalent to 0.1%. So that figure given by the CIA must be over a rather longer term.

AlmondFacialBar
897719.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote

Either that or it's finally time to start doubting the source validity of the World Fact Book altogether. I've a strong suspicion that everybody does in secret anyway... Btw, who exactly would these gentlemen marry and legitimately shag? Surely the Vatican's female population consists exclusively of nuns because the non-cleric female staff all live in Rome?

Oh, and - a 30-year-old male virgin? Yeah right, are all these guys gamers? :-p Not to mention - how on earth can you even prove that in a guy?

AlmondFacialBar

suze
897728.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Btw, who exactly would these gentlemen marry and legitimately shag? Surely the Vatican's female population consists exclusively of nuns because the non-cleric female staff all live in Rome?

True enough, but Swiss guardsmen do get days off, and some of them might even occasionally venture into Rome on days off!

A married Swiss guardsman does get to move his wife into married quarters within the Vatican. Furthermore, the wife and any children get Vatican citizenship, which is otherwise extremely hard to acquire.

In practice, not many of the Swiss Guard at any given time are married - it's often hinted that a fair proportion are gay - although the current Kommandant is married with four children.

AFB wrote:
Oh, and - a 30-year-old male virgin? Yeah right, are all these guys gamers? :-p Not to mention - how on earth can you even prove that in a guy?

You can't of course; indeed, neither can you in a woman. I expect it's an interview question, and the answer "yes" is taken as being true.

AlmondFacialBar
897729.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Btw, who exactly would these gentlemen marry and legitimately shag? Surely the Vatican's female population consists exclusively of nuns because the non-cleric female staff all live in Rome?

True enough, but Swiss guardsmen do get days off, and some of them might even occasionally venture into Rome on days off!

A married Swiss guardsman does get to move his wife into married quarters within the Vatican. Furthermore, the wife and any children get Vatican citizenship, which is otherwise extremely hard to acquire.

Aaaaaaah, see, I didn't even know such married quarters existed! Any particular advantages to the citizenship?

suze wrote:
In practice, not many of the Swiss Guard at any given time are married - it's often hinted that a fair proportion are gay.

That's certainly what I've always suspected. Good to hear it from someone more expert on Catholic matters than me.

suze wrote:
AFB wrote:

You can't of course; indeed, neither can you in a woman. I expect it's an interview question, and the answer "yes" is taken as being true.

Obviously...

AlmondFacialBar

suze
897735.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Aaaaaaah, see, I didn't even know such married quarters existed! Any particular advantages to the citizenship?

No, not really - but if you're like me and collect nationalities, I suppose it's fun to have!

Unlike just about all other citizenships, Vatican citizenship doesn't last for ever. Unless you are or have been the Pope (and no Pope has left the job alive since 1415), citizenship is lost upon leaving the job.

Wives lose citizenship if the marriage is annulled or if she deserts (not if he deserts), sons lose it at the age of 25, and daughters lose it upon marriage. There is a provision whereby anyone whose loss of Vatican citizenship would render him or her stateless is automatically granted Italian citizenship.

Spud McLaren
897736.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
... sons lose it at the age of 25, and daughters lose it upon marriage.
Sounds like the basis of a QI question..."What is it that sons lose at the age of 25...?", etc.

AlmondFacialBar
897737.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
suze wrote:
... sons lose it at the age of 25, and daughters lose it upon marriage.
Sounds like the basis of a QI question..."What is it that sons lose at the age of 25...?", etc.

True...

AlmondFacialBar

suze
897738.  Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote

We're twelve years away from V series, but remind me of this when we get there! V for Vatican, V for Virgins, either would do.

Sadurian Mike
897856.  Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Oh, and - a 30-year-old male virgin? Yeah right, are all these guys gamers? :-p

Oi, what??

Oh right... fair enough.

Hans Mof
897875.  Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The Swiss Guard hires only male Swiss nationals between 19 and 30 who are Roman Catholic, German-speaking, unmarried, and virginal, and one initially signs up for two years.

Similar restrictions are enforced in diplomatic accreditation.

In 2008 the Vatican blocked the appointments of Argentinian and French Ambassadors for being divorced or gay respectively.

The Holy See runs the oldest diplomatic mission. Ambassadors, or rather Papal Nuncios, are usually titular bishops.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2