View previous topic | View next topic

Aardvarks

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

indigo fugit
141392.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote

strukkanurv wrote:
These animals are harmless.
Everybody knows a little Aardvark never hurt anyone.

Hans please note

AlmondFacialBar
141493.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote

no, more soft balls, but that sounds more like the kind of sport a weichei might be playing. weichei = sissy. i wouldn't quite agree with hans mof's translation of pansy because "weichei" does not imply any sexual orientation whereas the last time i heard "pansy" it very definitely did.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

spuriousmonkey
219079.  Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Tubulidentata

I quote the most interesting word in this thread. I might be biased since I am very interested in teeth. Although I am quite aware that most people do not get excited about teeth, the aardvark elicits very strong feelings in me particularly because of the teeth (and their vague resemblance to myself).

Their teeth are extraoridinary! A tooth consists of smaller units like the facet eye of an insect. And these units grow continuously, and lack any enamel.

Another reason why they used to be shoved together with the south american anteater in the group edentata, which contained probably a collection of the most interesting mammals ever to have lived.

Of course nowadays we have put them all in 'proper' groups.

DaveA
265217.  Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote

spuriousmonkey wrote:
...Their teeth are extraoridinary! A tooth consists of smaller units like the facet eye of an insect. And these units grow continuously, and lack any enamel....

Ever growing teeth? The modern classification makes the Aardvark's closest relatives Elephants and Manatees (the largest hebivores of both land and sea). If Elephants had teeth like that their life span wouldn't be limited by how long their teeth last.

Aardvark
323427.  Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote

All I can say is.............I am a huge fan........period.

chukabuka
503927.  Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:
Thank you my many friends for keeping me on the path of righteousness.

Educated people are normally conceited but Iím not.

how come nobody mentions the aggressive nature of the common Ardvark? eh? wots dat? aryer lukin at me or wot??

regARDs

krollo
899949.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Aardvark's tunnels are large enough for a (smallish) human to enter.

Sadurian Mike
899986.  Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote

A place to store small children?

chrisboote
1037667.  Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote

I don't know why this suddenly popped up as 'unread' for me but...

They also make great pets
A family in Alicedale, Eastern Cape, has one, that they found injured by the side of the road about three years ago
They took it home, fed and cared for it, intending to release it back into the bush, but once it got better, it became very attached to them and very affectionate
It used to lie with one side pressed against the couch, and head butt and pat the children's feet, but now jumps up on the couch and snuggles between people
If they(or visitors) stroke it's (surprising soft) ears it lets out little grunts of pleasure
They feed it dog food mixed with goat milk and pieces of feta, and it will whistle and hoot when it can smell its dinner being prepared
They also feed it squash rinds, after reading about 'aardvark cucumbers' but it never gets excited about those
Their youngest daughter (about five now) also has taught it to play 'fetch' with her teddy bear
Finally, over the three years it has become active in the mornings and evenings rather than at night, so as to be awake when they are around

So a solitary, nocturnal animal has morphed into a gregarious crepuscular one

CharliesDragon
1037703.  Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 am Reply with quote

DaveA wrote:
spuriousmonkey wrote:
...Their teeth are extraoridinary! A tooth consists of smaller units like the facet eye of an insect. And these units grow continuously, and lack any enamel....

Ever growing teeth? The modern classification makes the Aardvark's closest relatives Elephants and Manatees (the largest hebivores of both land and sea). If Elephants had teeth like that their life span wouldn't be limited by how long their teeth last.

And apart from being big, round and herbivores, I can't think of any great resemblances between elephants and manatees, either. If they are the closest relatives of aardvarks, who now belong to their own family, etc. I don't think we should expect them to be too similar.

PS: I sort of like reviving old threads.

gruff5
1037707.  Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
The word aardvark is often claimed to be the first noun in the English dictionary. However, there are 3 nouns that preceed aardvark in the OED. These are:

Quote:
aa = a stream

"aa" is useful in Words With Friends (online Scrabble game), but "te" (from the tonic scale) is not accepted by WWF :-(

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3