View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Countries Forum

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

AlmondFacialBar
1255136.  Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote

The Other Congo being Congo Brazzaville in my universe. Democratic Republic of Congo for the country that was Zaďre for a while rolls off my brain quite easily for some reason.

(I'm now feeling quite nostalgic about a book I had as a little kid, about two chimps who got up to all kinds of shenanigans in Hagenbeck's Tierpark in Hamburg. That is mildly relevant to this conversation because the book was called Bingo und Bongo vom Kongo.)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

crissdee
1255167.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I'm quite sure you'd both make triple figures. I did and was hampered by both being on my phone and wonky English spellings.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

I would be hampered by knowng cock-all about geography!

Leith
1255311.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
On the upside, Czechia is allowed. I know that form isn't used all that much in the English-speaking world, but it seems to be increasing. Within the country in question, Česko is used much more than Česká Republika.

Czechia became Sporcle's preferred term last year, following the UN's lead.
https://www.sporcle.com/blog/2016/07/czechia/

I guess Sporcle may be big enough by now to be quite influential in promoting the term. It's certainly where I first encountered it.

Jenny
1255350.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote

When you're doing that quiz, though, if you enter "Czech Republic", it goes onto the map as Czechia. I discovered this by doing it.

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6