View previous topic | View next topic

The QI Countries Forum

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

suze
110712.  Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
I wonder what the Slovak for Slovenia is, and the Slovenian for Slovakia?

Since you ask, the Slovenian for Slovakia is Slovaška and the Slovak for Slovenia is Slovinsko.

So it's especially confusing if one is a Slovak - one's own country is Slovensko and the other is Slovinsko.

http://www.geonames.de/ can tell you pretty much any geographical name in pretty much any language.

samivel
110895.  Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, lovely. Thanks for that site.

gerontius grumpus
115862.  Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I've just come back from Prague and I didn't come across any reference to Czechia there, but the regions comprising the Czech Republic are sometimes referred to as the Czech lands.
Foodstuffs and drinks are generally advertised as Bohemian or Moravian.

BondiTram
115989.  Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I've just come back from Prague and I didn't come across any reference to Czechia there, .

That's good enough for me, Czechia it is - I love to be different.
If anybody asks in what language is Czechia the word for The Czech Republic - the answer is St. Frontais!

WordLover
117734.  Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
At the moment what seems to happen is that it's alphabetical the first time you look at it, then it reverts to chrono order after you've looked at a thread, with no user option either way. That's what happens on my machine, anyway.
Ameena wrote:
Mine seems to be stuck on Alphabetical, and I can't see any way of changing it back to "Most recent posts at the top". It's not so bad now, but once there are enough threads that it becomes two pages, it could get rather annoying...
It's not as random as you suggest.

This gives you the default order, viz in order, most recent first, of the most recent message:
http://www.qi.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=27

This gives you alphabetical order:
http://www.qi.com/talk/viewforum.php?f=27&order=alph

As for which URL the site designers decide to make the links link to, that's another matter!

(Just realised that I could have a Favourite which is QI Games &order=alph in which case, until a new thread is made, Changelings stays in the same place!)

BobTheScientist
126476.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote

The preferred adjectival form has long puzzled me. Whom do the English call "man"? A Frenchman but an Italian; a Dutchman but a Belgian; a German but a Swiss or an Austrian. GerMAN is stretching a point a bit, but I wonder if it is habitual war adveraries than are considered "Man", perhaps as a sort of honorific like "er ist ein Mensch"? And what do you call someone from Portugal? ... and don't say O Senor.

dr.bob
126503.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

BobTheScientist wrote:
I wonder if it is habitual war adveraries than are considered "Man"

If that were true then we'd surely be saying Spainman too :)

It may just be how easy a word rolls off the tongue. Sticking "man" onto the end of the adjective describing things from that country works for France and the Netherlands (though I agree Germany is a bit of a cheat), but Italianman and Belgianman just don't scan as well.

Though I'd've though Swissman would work OK.

Odd.

samivel
126520.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote

BobTheScientist wrote:
And what do you call someone from Portugal? ... and don't say O Senor.

A Portugese - which is handy, as it's gender-neutral.

suze
126550.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote

BobTheScientist wrote:
And don't say O Senor

And what's more, it wouldn't be right. The Spanish is Seńor (-a for a woman) and the Portuguese is Senhor (likewise).

One slightly odd example of the -man suffix concerns people from China. In days gone by "a Chinaman" was used, but it seems to be considered a bit non PC these days and "a Chinese" is now more usual.

BondiTram
130283.  Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

That's good enough for me, Czechia it is - I love to be different.
!

Different no longer, I heard on the telly a German MEP referring to Czechia - yippee!

Davini994
433543.  Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
BondiTram wrote:
I wonder what the Slovak for Slovenia is, and the Slovenian for Slovakia?

Since you ask, the Slovenian for Slovakia is Slovaška and the Slovak for Slovenia is Slovinsko.

So it's especially confusing if one is a Slovak - one's own country is Slovensko and the other is Slovinsko.

At least the flags are nice and different:

The top is Slovenia, bottom Slovakia.

Zebra57
669686.  Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Reading through the previous posts apart from Slovakia/Slovenia, Silesia and Niger/Nigeria there are other confusing terms to play with:

Luxembourg is a Belgian province and a country. The country "to avoid confusion?" styles itself the Grand Duchy.

Congo is another possible source of confusion.

Greek insistence that plain Macedonia cannot be used as it may look as if the country was laying claim to part of Greek heritage/territory is again a QI aspect of international relations.

Baryonyx
1254587.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:01 am Reply with quote

But can you name them all?

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/world

Jenny
1254731.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I am ashamed to admit I only got 114/197 in the fifteen minutes. I mainly ground to a halt over the countries in west Africa and central America, and some of the countries in eastern Europe, and couldn't bring Andorra to mind when I wanted it!

AlmondFacialBar
1254770.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote

123/197 on my first attempt. I need to be more systematic and less concerned about my risotto.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next