View previous topic | View next topic

Unnoticed

Page 1 of 1

Alexander Howard
1414597.  Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote

That chap who has appointed himself as chief educator of the internet had a video up about people whose achievements were so overshadowed they went unnoticed: like the first woman to fly the Channel landing just as news of the Titanic broke, or the first man to row the Atlantic arriving just as Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon. It must be a fertile field.

There was celebrated and notorious theatre critic, Jeffrey Bernard, whose drunken escapades inspired the play "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell". He used to tell his friends that it would be just his luck to die on the same day as the Queen Mother - in fact he died four days after Princess Diana and the day before Mother Teresa of Calcutta.

Bondee
1414839.  Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Not quite at the same level, but Darby Crash, vocalist of LA punk band The Germs, died by suicide from a heroin overdose on December 7th 1980. His passing was largely unnoticed because John Lennon was murdered in New York a day later.

Brock
1414840.  Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:
That chap who has appointed himself as chief educator of the internet

To whom do you refer?

Quote:
It must be a fertile field.

Indeed, it must. Unfortunately the very nature of the topic means I can't readily come up with any examples...

bobwilson
1414860.  Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Alexander Howard wrote:
That chap who has appointed himself as chief educator of the internet

To whom do you refer?

Quote:
It must be a fertile field.

Indeed, it must. Unfortunately the very nature of the topic means I can't readily come up with any examples...

I think the former quote was meant as an ironic statement - I thought it quite clever actually, since the subject of the thread is relative anonymity........

and regarding the latter, I think there probably are other noteworthy examples

suze
1414862.  Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps the best known example is that both Aldous Huxley and C S Lewis died on the same day as John F Kennedy.

Here is Sheryl Crow referring to the event.

Brock
1414877.  Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 am Reply with quote

Does death count as an "achievement", though? I'm trying to come up with examples like the ones in the first paragraph of the thread, who appear to be Harriet Quimby and John Fairfax.

Unsurprisingly, I hadn't heard of either of them - that's why this topic is so damned difficult! I suppose one way to do it might be to look through lists of historical events and find ones that happened close to the date of something that dominated the news.

PDR
1414878.  Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:39 am Reply with quote

Perhaps we should consider the four categories of prominence:

The Noticed Noticed - those people we know we became aware of (eg Boris etc)

The Unnoticed Noticed - those people we only realise we had noticed at a later date (eg Dave Prowse)

The Unnoticed Unnoticed - those people we never became aware of (eg - the majority of the proletariat)

The Noticed Unnoticed - those people we always knew we were unaware of (eg Leaders of the Lib Dems)

PDR

PDR
1414879.  Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:40 am Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Does death count as an "achievement", though?

I have a list of people who I wish would strive harder to achieve it...

PDR

CB27
1414981.  Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote

There are several events that have been overshadowed by others.

I'm reminded that in December 1941, Japanese planes attacked several US bases in the Philippines, as well as the capital, Manila. Most of the US air force in the area were destroyed in a matter of hours, many US servicemen as well as local civilians were killed or injured. The blow was so devastating that the US eventually lost the islands, leading to a protracted and deadly mission to retake lost territory.

The initial disaster is all but forgotten by history because it happened hours after Pearl Harbour.

CB27
1414982.  Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:31 pm Reply with quote

And talking of death overshadowing other events, the 3rd of February 1959 is a date to look back on with a huge sigh of relief.

On that date in Berlin, Soviet troops detained several US Army trucks who refused inspection, and the soldiers were taken prisoners. This was an incredibly sensitive event that required high level communications between the Americans and Soviets through their respective embassies to avoid an escalation to some sort of conflict.

At any other time the press would have probably splashed the story all over the front pages and demanded action, which could have had devastating consequences, but it just so happens that the papers were busy reporting on the deaths of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens.

The day the music died probably saved a lot of lives.

Brock
1425842.  Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote

How about Fred Noonan? He was Amelia Earhart's navigator, yet his disappearance got minimal coverage alongside hers.

https://www.history.com/news/amelia-earharts-navigator-the-life-and-loss-of-fred-noonan

CB27
1425847.  Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote

One that became more famous later was the "wow" signal that many interpreted as proof of aliens.

When it was announced, it's easy to conceive that a lot of papers, especially the non broadsheet variety, might have run with the story of proof of aliens, but hours later a certain Elvis Presley died and the alien story got forgotten for a while.

For the sake of non bias, I should point out that many people believe Presley was taken by aliens rather than died, so perhaps the timing wasn't such a coincidence after all... :o

Brock
1425852.  Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:08 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
One that became more famous later was the "wow" signal that many interpreted as proof of aliens.

Never heard of it - which of course makes it an excellent candidate for this thread!

Wikipedia entry

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would interpret a radio signal as evidence of alien life. We have been communicating by means of radio waves for less than 150 years, which is such an insignificant pinprick in the history of the universe that the likelihood of the same technique being replicated anywhere else is as close to zero as makes no difference.

bobwilson
1425924.  Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:30 am Reply with quote

I don't think anyone (barring a few drunken journalists) would claim Wow as EVIDENCE for alien life; but it was (and remains) a plausible, if somewhat unlikely, explanation for the signal.

Page 1 of 1