View previous topic | View next topic

Upanishads

Page 1 of 1

How well do you know the contents and importance of the Upanishads?
Not at all
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
A little but would like to know more
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
I could stand to know the QI facts
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
I was raised Hindu
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I have written academically on Hinduism/Hindu texts
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

ConorOberstIsGo
1413584.  Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote

I've realised I know next to nothing about this. Obviously a decently-sized demographic of the UK _will_ do but can we take a straw poll?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upanishads

ConorOberstIsGo
1414372.  Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote

The Bhagavad Gita is part of the Prasthanatrayi, which also includes the Upanishads and Brahma sutras. These are the three starting points for the Vedanta school of Hindu philosophy.

Some Hindus give the Bhagavad Gita the status of an Upanishad, and some consider it to be a "revealed text". If so, the following may not be known by many:

The plot of the Will Smith movie The Legend Of Bagger Vance is loosely based on the Hindu sacred text the Bhagavad Gita, part of the Hindu epic Mahabharata, where the Warrior/Hero Arjuna (R. Junuh) refuses to fight. The god Krishna appears as Bhagavan (Bagger Vance) to help him follow his path as the warrior and hero that he was meant to be.

[/img]

Jenny
1414395.  Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:13 am Reply with quote

That is interesting! I wonder if I can find that movie on streaming - I'll look for it. It's probably rentable on Amazon if it's not streaming free anywhere.

POLARIS183
1414403.  Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:15 pm Reply with quote

It's on Disney Plus and Apple TV if you have a subscription - it's also on Amazon Prime USA for $5.

Jenny
1414438.  Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:03 pm Reply with quote

I have Apple TV - thanks Polaris.

Page 1 of 1