View previous topic | View next topic

Umbrellas

Page 1 of 1

Awitt
1412557.  Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:42 am Reply with quote

Why are they called this?
Apparently it came from the word 'umbra', meaning 'shaded', with the Oxford dictionary first recording this in the 16th century. (burnt umber is a dark brown colour)

Jonas Hanway, a philanthropist in Europe, carried what would eventually become the modern version of the umbrella. This trendsetter made it socially acceptable for men to carry umbrellas in public.

In 1830, London entrepreneur James Smith founded his business selling umbrellas which is still around today.

Then in 1852, Samuel Fox changed the design by adding the steel frame, that is still in use.

We now have golf umbrellas, beach/cafe umbrellas, (big enough to shade a table) and the cocktail style small umbrellas added to drinks.

This link provides a basic time line.

https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/what-is-the-history-of-umbrellas/

Alexander Howard
1413012.  Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote

There is an Umbrella and Parasol Museum in Gignese in Piedmont. (On display are some umbrellas belonging to famous Italians, like Queen Margherita, whose achievements are far greater than having a pizza named after her.)

'Umbrella' by the way means 'little shadow'.

Alexander Howard
1416722.  Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:20 am Reply with quote

Upside-down umbrellas are available. There is no reason why umbrellas should look the way they do - we have one which seems to open upside down and inside out . The advantages are that if it blows inside out it should not break, because that is how it closes anyway, and you can put it down handle-up, resting on its spokes.

I still find it easier to carry a hat instead.

If I do use an umbrella, the technique in a high wind is to keep the umbrella pointing into the wind so it does not whip round and blow it inside out. If it does blow inside out and breaks the frame, I have fixed them before with pliers and fuse wire or heavy thread, but it is scarcely worth it.

crissdee
1416730.  Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote

I find it even easier to WEAR a hat.....

Page 1 of 1