View previous topic | View next topic

Urine

Page 1 of 1

Jenny
1412508.  Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote

New research suggests that dolphins can sense friends and family members through the taste of their pee and other excretions.

According to the study published in the journal Science Advances, researchers aimed to see how dolphins reacted to urine samples from different individuals and discovered that the dolphins were more likely to show interest in urine collected from animals they knew rather than strangers. Researchers investigated this using bottlenose dolphins who swim with tourists at the Dolphin Quest resorts in Hawaii and Bermuda.

Professor Vincent Janik, director of the Scottish Oceans Institute and lead author of the study wrote:

“Dolphins explored urine samples for longer if they came from known animals or when they were presented together with the dolphin’s unique and distinctive signature whistle, an acoustic identifier that works like a name.” .

Jason Bruck, a marine biologist at Stephen F. Austin State University in Texas, said the original goal was to test whether dolphins use their signature whistles the same way people rely on names, but couldn’t do that unless they found a second way dolphins could identify each other.

Luckily, he remembered that a fellow scientist had previously observed wild dolphins swimming through what the website called “plumes of urine” and he figured the creatures might be using it as an ID technique.

Dolphins don’t have a sense of smell, so when one dolphin passed urine or faeces, the others would swim through the excretions with their mouths open.

Jason Bruck wrote:

“In other animals, it’s very difficult to separate the sense of smell from the sense of taste. So this is a really exciting opportunity to just study how taste works in this really unique way.”

The researchers noticed the participating dolphins spent three times longer analyzing urine they recognized than pee from strangers.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dolphins-recognize-each-other-urine_n_628bc86be4b0415d4d7adccd?utm_campaign=share_email&ncid=other_email_o63gt2jcad4

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1412891.  Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote

You taking the piss? :-O

Jenny
1412895.  Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:10 am Reply with quote

Lobsters also communicate this way, so I suppose they are!

tetsabb
1412906.  Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:32 pm Reply with quote

I have seen something in the last few days without a reputable sauce that suggests that male giraffes head butt females in the bladder until they urinate. Tge male then tastes the pee to see if she is ripe for mating.
Who says romance is dead?

Jenny
1412912.  Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
I have seen something in the last few days without a reputable sauce that suggests that male giraffes head butt females in the bladder until they urinate. Tge male then tastes the pee to see if she is ripe for mating.
Who says romance is dead?

What kind of reputable sauce would that be? Strictly vegetarian no doubt.

tetsabb
1412923.  Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:59 am Reply with quote

Oh! Silly me!
😉

Alexander Howard
1413014.  Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote

When I was but a wee bairn I wore a tweed jacket as part of my school uniform. In the rain, the method used for dye-fixing became obvious to the nostrils.

Jenny
1413776.  Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote

And from a post by thokeller in the QI Animals forum - why male mice don't like bananas.

The chemical culprit is the ester n-pentyl acetate (Sci. Adv. 2022, DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abi9366). The researchers made the discovery when they realized that lactating female mice were sending out a chemical signal in their urine to tell males to back off and leave their babies alone.
-- from https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/spectroscopy/Dolphins-love-coral-male-mice/100/i22?utm_source=Essential&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=CEN#Banana-anxiety

Page 1 of 1