View previous topic | View next topic

No Bill Bailey?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Tas
97625.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I was once in the Coal Hole on the Strand in 2001 or 2002 when an extremely drunk Richard Harris was propelled in the direction of the men's toilets by the people he was with - that wasn't you, Tas, was it?

I may have been there, but when I chatted with him he was pretty lucid and not in the "feeling fine/walking rotten" mode.

:-)

Tas

BondiTram
98385.  Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
["Are you Stuart Wagstaff?" His reply was "Yes" (with surprise that someone my age should know who he was).

I am somewhat mortified, bearing in mind having qualified on the grounds both of extreme age and having lived in Sydney, that I have no idea who he is. Perhaps it is because as a night driver in Sydney and at other times out in the sticks and far from a TV mast, I didn't see much telly in Oz. Tell me about him........or tell me about your granny.

Lumpo31
98405.  Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
Lumpo31 wrote:
["Are you Stuart Wagstaff?" His reply was "Yes" (with surprise that someone my age should know who he was).

I am somewhat mortified, bearing in mind having qualified on the grounds both of extreme age and having lived in Sydney, that I have no idea who he is. Perhaps it is because as a night driver in Sydney and at other times out in the sticks and far from a TV mast, I didn't see much telly in Oz. Tell me about him........or tell me about your granny.

Stuart Wagstaff - famous as the "Benson and Hedges" man on ads; came to Oz from the UK to star as Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady" (in the 50s I think) and never went back; a permanent feature on Graham Kennedy's "Blankety Blanks"; aw heck, here's the link to his Wiki entry (that alone shows how great he is):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Wagstaff

Wiki says he was here before My Fair Lady, but regardless...

Nanna's been dead just gone 2 years, but she was a dyed-in-the-wool Stuart Wagstaff fan, having seen him in the afore-mentioned "My Fair Lady". She always thought he was gorgeous. Given the attractive young man he was lunching with, I broke the news to her gently that she'd never stand a chance with Mr Wagstaff...ever. I note from his Wiki that he also made an appearance in an episode of "The Partridge Family"...must have been nice for him to have worked with David Cassidy! But that's purely speculation on my part...

Oh, he was also the Narrator in the 80s Australian cast of The Rocky Horror Show. Don Burke also visited him at his Neutral Bay home for "Burke's Backyard".

Does that help at all?

Lisa

BondiTram
99970.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
[
Does that help at all?

Oh dear, not at all I'm afraid, and after all your hard work as well (I even looked at his picture in Wiki), nothing.
I did say that I was particularly telly devoid in Oz. There are only 3 things I remember.
Graham somebody (I think) who ran a programme called Blind Date. Yellow Cabs had the contract to rush the winning daters between venues and one night I fronted up at Menzies night club armed with the instruction to search for someone named (somebody). The excitable young man who yanked open the door chanting 'Blind Daters? Blind Daters?' only succeeded in annoying me and after nearly telling him to stuff it he finally mentioned his name. Job done.
A sports presenter whose name escapes me but became famous for saying, in the run up to the Olympics, 'Mexico, that hepatitis-ridden country', climbed into the cab very drunk one night in Darling Harbour. Leaving him his privacy I did not start a conversation but after 2 minutes he got very angry that I had apparently not recognised him. He discovered that racial taunts get you a free ride, but a short one, and was back on the street very quickly!
The third abiding memory, much more agreeable, was of watching Rowan and Martin's Laugh In on the TV in the drivers' canteen. Classic stuff.

Sorry about your Granny, hope she took the SW revelation well enough though.

Lumpo31
100047.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:53 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

Oh dear, not at all I'm afraid, and after all your hard work as well (I even looked at his picture in Wiki), nothing.

Oh well! I tried!

BondiTram wrote:

A sports presenter whose name escapes me but became famous for saying, in the run up to the Olympics, 'Mexico, that hepatitis-ridden country', climbed into the cab very drunk one night in Darling Harbour. Leaving him his privacy I did not start a conversation but after 2 minutes he got very angry that I had apparently not recognised him. He discovered that racial taunts get you a free ride, but a short one, and was back on the street very quickly!

Rex Mossop? Ron Casey? I did a Google but couldn't come up with anything about that. Of course, it definitely sounds like something I'd want kept off tinternet.

BondiTram wrote:

Sorry about your Granny, hope she took the SW revelation well enough though.

No worries; I think she half-knew about SW. After all, he's a "confirmed bachelor", which in Nanna's day meant only one thing.

Lisa

Gluben
102129.  Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
Quote:
He concluded that it's a bad idea to meet your childhood heroes.

Only if they are off their face. I met Sir Alec Guiness once, and he was superb to chat to...and so was Bob Hoskins.

Okay, that's all the names I can drop (I assume taking a leak next to a very drunk Richard Harris does not count, even though he bought me a drink!)

Tas

Wow, I would've loved to have met and talked to Sir Alec Guinness, and Bob Hoskins, but sadly the former died six years ago. It would just be such a fascinating experience.

BondiTram
102358.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
[

Rex Mossop? Ron Casey? I did a Google but couldn't come up with anything about that. Of course, it definitely sounds like something I'd want kept off tinternet.

Doesn't really ring a bell but the second one is a possibility. I seem to remember a three letter word beginning with R. The occasion of the blue was when discussing I think the fact that athletes travelling to Mexico had to have a health clearance or something, and he was outraged that healthy Australians should be considered to be doing anything other than a big favour to Mexico anyway, merely by risking exposing themselves to all the diseases the country had to offer. Caused a big fuss at the time as you can imagine.
Of the cab incident we had as I said travelled in silence for only a few seconds before his outburst 'you don't recognise me do you?' 'Yes I do' I replied 'but I thought you would prefer your privacy' At which point, recognising my accent, he launched into a tirade of racial abuse. It was only a moment before he was looking for another wayward taxi in darkest Darling Harbour.

Lumpo31
102394.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

Doesn't really ring a bell but the second one is a possibility. I seem to remember a three letter word beginning with R. The occasion of the blue was when discussing I think the fact that athletes travelling to Mexico had to have a health clearance or something, and he was outraged that healthy Australians should be considered to be doing anything other than a big favour to Mexico anyway, merely by risking exposing themselves to all the diseases the country had to offer. Caused a big fuss at the time as you can imagine.
Of the cab incident we had as I said travelled in silence for only a few seconds before his outburst 'you don't recognise me do you?' 'Yes I do' I replied 'but I thought you would prefer your privacy' At which point, recognising my accent, he launched into a tirade of racial abuse. It was only a moment before he was looking for another wayward taxi in darkest Darling Harbour.

Sounds like Ron (or Won, because he has a speech impediment) Casey. He's most famous act of the past 15 years or so was throwing a punch at Normie Rowe (Australian '60s popstar, who was called up to Vietnam) during a debate about Republicanism.

Seems he's a highly racist individual, he lost his radio job because he was slinging off at Nokia, mistakenly thinking they were Japanese.

I think we've hit the nail squarely. Good on you for turfing him out!

Lisa

Tas
102401.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, I would've loved to have met and talked to Sir Alec Guinness, and Bob Hoskins, but sadly the former died six years ago. It would just be such a fascinating experience.

In a strange kind of way, they were exactly as you'd expect them to be. Sir Alec ("Please, just Alec is fine.") was a really nice bloke. Easy to talk to, and a sympathetic listener with a very dry wit. Why I say sympathetic, I meant that he was quite understanding of the tongue-tiedness that I was going through. At the time, I was dallying with the idea of acting and so on. Looking back, I was no where near good enough to entertain that idea for too long, but he was a great man to talk to about the pitfalls of the career, and he was good for a couple of anecdotes (although, he did keep them to a minimum). I really wished I had a lot longer time to talk with him.

Bob Hoskins was possibly the easiest person to talk to in the whole world. Quite laid back, and happy to chat about normal stuff, and definitely not very 'lovey'.

Tas

BondiTram
103424.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:
[
Sounds like Ron (or Won, because he has a speech impediment) Casey. He's most famous act of the past 15 years or so was throwing a punch at Normie Rowe (Australian '60s popstar, who was called up to Vietnam) during a debate about Republicanism.

Seems he's a highly racist individual, he lost his radio job because he was slinging off at Nokia, mistakenly thinking they were Japanese.

I think we've hit the nail squarely. Good on you for turfing him out!

Lisa

Yep, I think Won's the one. And thank you Lisa for reminding me of Normie Rowe, I had forgotten all about him and to be honest can't remember much more about him than his name. I suppose Won was deffo a repub? Why didn't he say so, we might have got on better?
Now what about Graham thingy and Blind Date? Looked a bit like the young Martin Peters I think. ('66 England football star?)

Lumpo31
103454.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

Yep, I think Won's the one. And thank you Lisa for reminding me of Normie Rowe, I had forgotten all about him and to be honest can't remember much more about him than his name. I suppose Won was deffo a repub? Why didn't he say so, we might have got on better?
Now what about Graham thingy and Blind Date? Looked a bit like the young Martin Peters I think. ('66 England football star?)

I think it was the other way around and Normie was a republican and Won was a monarchist, but I could be wrong.

Normie did a fairly passable version of "Shakin' All Over", and starred as Jean Valjean in The Glums (aka Les Miserables...) for a while.

Dunno about this Graham, but there was a proggy called "Perfect Match" in the 80s hosted by a Greg Evans, who could bear a passing resemblance to Martin Peters. Here's his far from self-effacing website - http://www.gregevans.com.au/

Ring any bells?

Lisa

BondiTram
103566.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

Ring any bells?

Lisa

No, definitely not him, I will try to squeeze the little grey cells a bit harder for the name. You do surprise me about Won though, I would have thought that with his well known xenophobia and Irish surname he would be a cert for the old Keating ticket.

Just to get this thread back on track, Bill Bailey doesn't look a bit like Graham Thingy.

Lumpo31
103808.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:

No, definitely not him, I will try to squeeze the little grey cells a bit harder for the name. You do surprise me about Won though, I would have thought that with his well known xenophobia and Irish surname he would be a cert for the old Keating ticket.

Just to get this thread back on track, Bill Bailey doesn't look a bit like Graham Thingy.

What era are we talking about here? Because if it's 60s or 70s, it could well be Graham Kennedy - http://www.milesago.com/People/kennedy-graham.htm

(although I cannot find any reference to him assoicated with a "Blind Date" kind of programme) Here's a list (not exhaustive by any means, I'd imagine) of game shows and their hosts -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_show_hosts

As for the Normie and Won show, you're right, I got it the wrong way round, Normie's a staunch monarchist, and Won's the republican. Good call re the xenophobia and Irish name!

Lisa

BondiTram
103864.  Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote

No, definitely not Graham Kennedy Lisa, I remember him well though I'm not sure why because I presume that IMT was not shown in Sydney (bearing in mind the intense rivalry which existed in the 60s). Perhaps I saw him in some films.
This is turning into one of those 'parallel universe' moments, I have diligently searched the game show list you linked without success. I do have a sneaking doubt that the bloke we're looking for was used by the BBC from time to time in '2 way Family Favourites' which linked British Servicemen overseas with their families back home with music requests and dedications. This was mainly Germany, but also Cyprus, Aden, and (possibly) Australia (Woomera for example?)
This is going to bug me 'till it's solved. Time for an email to my mate in Newcastle NSW who was a driver with me in the 60s and would have taken these Blind Date jobs from time to time.

Lumpo31
103998.  Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
No, definitely not Graham Kennedy Lisa, I remember him well though I'm not sure why because I presume that IMT was not shown in Sydney (bearing in mind the intense rivalry which existed in the 60s). Perhaps I saw him in some films.

Did you ever watch "Blankety Blanks"? If so, he was the host. Oddly enough, Stuart Wagstaff was one of the regular panellists...And no, IMT wasn't on Sydney telly to my knowledge, but The Don Lane Show was, and it was the direct successor to IMT. Beats me how I know all this, I think I should have been in bed by that time, given I was a wee slip.

BondiTram wrote:

This is turning into one of those 'parallel universe' moments, I have diligently searched the game show list you linked without success. I do have a sneaking doubt that the bloke we're looking for was used by the BBC from time to time in '2 way Family Favourites' which linked British Servicemen overseas with their families back home with music requests and dedications. This was mainly Germany, but also Cyprus, Aden, and (possibly) Australia (Woomera for example?)
This is going to bug me 'till it's solved. Time for an email to my mate in Newcastle NSW who was a driver with me in the 60s and would have taken these Blind Date jobs from time to time.

I wish you well...

I lived in Newcastle NSW for 6 years - straight from high school, Uni for a couple of years, dropped out, then 3 years working. Small world...but then again, I think everyone who's lived in Australia knows someone who's lived/from Newcastle! While I was living there, I was told (or read or something) that surveys are mostly conducted in Newcastle because it's deemed to be the most normal place in Australia. Average, in other words. Nice part of the world though.

Lisa

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next