View previous topic | View next topic

Portmanteau

Page 1 of 1

elmsters
96607.  Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote

In one episode, I'm sorry, I forget the series, Stephen mentions the term for the insertion of one word into the middle of another. I believe the example he used was "fan-f*cking-tastic". Is the term portmanteau? I've always considered that to be more of an amalgamation of words rather than the insertion of one into the other.

Thanks.

Celebaelin
96608.  Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Tmesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmesis

elmsters
96614.  Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Thank you so much, I've been using questionswap.com but have only found the answer portmanteau. Obviously I should have looked here first.

In fact, I had one downright rude reply.

Q. What's the word that describes a word inserted into the middle of another word (eg fan-fucking-tastic). It's not portmanteau by the way.

United Kingdom

A. A portmanteau (plural: portmanteaux) is a term in linguistics that refers to a word or morpheme that fuses two or more grammatical functions. It can also be called a frankenword (incidentally, this is another example of a portmanteau). Typically, portmanteau words are neologisms. In short, it's a word that combines two words to form a single word.

As fan-fucking-tastic is a combination of the words fantastic and fucking, it can be called a portmanteau. However, you are obviously not pleased with the previous answer that someone has given you, despite it being a correct answer, so here is an incorrect answer for your satisfaction:

The word you are looking for is flibbyflobbyflapification.

Now I can really show him.

Celebaelin
96622.  Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Ter-fucking-rific you can tell the clever-flipping-clogs about dystmesis as well.

dr.bob
96692.  Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 am Reply with quote

I remember the tmesis discussion when Jo Brand suggested the example "scunthorpe"

gerontius grumpus
100249.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Was the term 'portmanteau word' first coined by Lewis Carrol?

samivel
100267.  Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Yes it was, in Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There. It comes from the old type of suitcase called a portmanteau, which consisted of two separate compartments.
Humpty-Dumpty uses the word when explaining the meaning of the word 'slithy' to Alice:

Quote:
"Well, slithy means lithe and slimy ... You see it's like a portmanteau— there are two meanings packed up into one word."

barbados
100302.  Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
I remember the tmesis discussion when Jo Brand suggested the example "scunthorpe"

the fanzine I used to read as a youngster was "There's only one F in Fulham"
I'm so happy I wasn't a Scunthorpe fan

Page 1 of 1