View previous topic | View next topic

On this day...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

rko
95602.  Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote

On this day in 2000 British rower Steve Redgrave makes Olympic history at the Sydney Games by winning his fifth consecutive gold medal.

just thought this would be quite interesting as it can be new every day!

genius, no?

can anyone remember this happening 6 years ago? If so, does it feel like 6 years ago??

Ameena
95604.  Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote

I've got a book, somewhere, called something like "The Year I was Born..." and it gives something that happened on every day in, believe it or not, the year I was born. So, 1984. If I could be arsed to dig it out (actually, I'm pretty sure I know where it is), I could post something here regularly ;).

Vicomte de Valmont
95605.  Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote

i've actually got a newspaper from the day I was born. Which is also pretty cool...but man, the eighties were seriously wack! No real desire to rekindle the memories of those dodgy disco days.

Celebaelin
95624.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote

Knowing what was going on in my world in the eighties compared with what made the papers and TV certainly puts current televised pop culture into perspective.

eggshaped
95629.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote

hi rko,

Check out this thread in QI lists.

Whilst an "on this day" thread is a great idea, we never really managed to keep it going. Here's hoping that your thread has more success (and that people don't just cut-and-paste wikipedia's "on this day" feature)

rko
95638.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote

hopefully we can discuss what happened or how it relates to us or something like that. Or just lots of posts saying "oo what that X years ago? doesn't seem like it"

:P

gerontius grumpus
95669.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote

Today is the birthday of the emperor Augustus.
What shall we get him?

swot
95675.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

I suppose a fiver in a birthday card's out of the question.

Celebaelin
95700.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
What shall we get him?

I'd suggest a Legion but he's already got 20 more than he really needs.

Some marble polish perhaps?

cabs
95702.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote

Platform soles?

cabs
95704.  Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
What shall we get him?

When you say "today" are you referring to the Julian or Gregorian calendars?

gerontius grumpus
95793.  Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
gerontius grumpus wrote:
What shall we get him?

I'd suggest a Legion but he's already got 20 more than he really needs.

Some marble polish perhaps?

What, to make up for the ones that Varus lost?

gerontius grumpus
95795.  Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote

cabs wrote:
gerontius grumpus wrote:
What shall we get him?

When you say "today" are you referring to the Julian or Gregorian calendars?

Um.. err.. Well let's just call it his birthday anyway.

Hans Mof
100632.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

On October 8, 1906, Karl Nessler demonstrated the first chemical treatment to curl hair. The permanent wave was born.

In 1872 Karl Nessler (later he would change his name into Charles Nestle) was born in Todtnau (Germany/Black Forrest). In 1892 he was employed as assistant at a Geneva coiffeure. In 1896 he had moved to Paris and started experimenting with several chemicals. His guinea pig of choice was Katharina Laible. He covered strands of her hair in a borax paste, rolled them onto metal tubes and heated the hair to 212F. His first attempts ended with completely burning the hair off and serious damage to the scalp. Nevertheless, Katharina married him in 1901.

Nessler electric permanen wave machine is patented in London in 1909. In 1904 he had already received a patent for artificial eye lashes.

Nessler was awarded a prize for his service to woman-kind in 1944. He dies in 1951 in New Jersey.

Jumper
100952.  Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Today is Oct 9th. On this day in:-

1000 Viking explorer Leif Ericson sights "Vinland", possibly Newfoundland. (He didn't stay - it was early closing)

1760 Russians capture Berlin. (They did stay - went away and came back again later)

1776 A group of Spanish missionaries settled in present day San Francisco (they wish they hadn't stayed)

1930 William Kogut, a convicted murderer at San Quentin prison in California, cheats the excecutioner by committing suicide with a deck of cards. He scraped the red spots (at the time made from an explosive material) off the cards, built a bomb and blew his head off...

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next