View previous topic | View next topic

Teesside

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1388043.  Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:43 am Reply with quote

As someone from Teesside, the more I learn about the area the more dystopian it feels.

For example, it is somewhat relatively known that the industry of the region inspired the film Blade Runner.

Source: BBC.

Lesser know is that Teesside also inspired Brave New World. Aldous Huxley was partly inspired by a visit to a chemical works in Billingham.

Source: The Northern Echo

In terms of perhaps being influenced by dystopia, in the 2000s Middlesbrough's mayor, Ray Mallon, whose zero-tolerance views on crime during his time in the police earned him the nickname "RoboCop", installed 1984-style talking CCTV cameras in the town.

Source: Financial Times

CB27
1388118.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:37 am Reply with quote

Ohh, you shouldn't talk Teesside down, not when everyone else can do it so well... :p

However, there are some interesting stuff to come out of Teesside.

With regards Blade Runner, Ridley Scott said "Theres a walk from Redcar. Id cross a bridge at night and walk above the steel works. It always seemed to be rather gloomy and raining, and Id just think 'God, this is beautiful'".

The Sydney Harbour Bridge was built by a Middlesbrough company, and you still hear the slogan "Made in Middlesbrough: Respected Around the World".

The Angel of the North was built in Hartlepool, and legend has it that it was stuffed with a number of Middlesbrough FC scarves.

Ian Dunn
1388119.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:40 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
The Sydney Harbour Bridge was built by a Middlesbrough company, and you still hear the slogan "Made in Middlesbrough: Respected Around the World".

We made the Tyne Bridge too - shame we didn't put that slogan in the Tyne Bridge just to annoy the Geordies.

Alexander Howard
1388122.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote

When Joe Wright made Atonement, released in 2007, he needed a beachfront to stand in for the burnt, shattered waste that was Dunkirk. He chose Redcar.

CB27
1388135.  Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote

I used to love going to Gateshead in the 90's and 00s as it had some really good clubs and bars and the mood was very free and easy*, and I always marvelled at the Tyne bridge during the sober hours :)

* While the Yanks have their Vegas, we used to say "what happens in Newcastle, stays in Newcastle", but it only really applied to Gateshead. I remember some really wild nights there :)

Page 1 of 1