View previous topic | View next topic

Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics in 2021

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

PDR
1386912.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote

It gets crazier by the minute. The German team's coach has just been expelled from the olympics for punching the dodgy horse. This isn't some technical term or euphemism - they genuinely mean she gave it a knuckle sandwich. Shades of Blazin Saddles...

PDR

 
crissdee
1386923.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
I must confess, I saw a TV listing for the Olympics today and was very surprised that it's still going on. I thought it would be all over by now. How long does it last?


In comparison, when the Olympics came to London, I was surprised how quickly it was all over. After all the disruption caused by setting things up, the event itself seemed like a bit of an anti-climax.

Re: PDRs post. She should be expelled from the human race for punching a horse, never mind the Olympics!

 
Brock
1386926.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:47 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

In comparison, when the Olympics came to London, I was surprised how quickly it was all over. After all the disruption caused by setting things up, the event itself seemed like a bit of an anti-climax.


It always struck me as astonishing that seven years were needed to prepare for a two-week event. But now it seems that eleven years are needed, with the nomination of Los Angeles for 2028 in 2017, and the nomination of Brisbane for 2032 earlier this year..

What do they do with all that time?

 
PDR
1386927.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
She should be expelled from the human race


I think she was only an associate-member.

PDR

 
Awitt
1386958.  Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
Quote:
It always struck me as astonishing that seven years were needed to prepare for a two-week event. But now it seems that eleven years are needed, with the nomination of Los Angeles for 2028 in 2017, and the nomination of Brisbane for 2032 earlier this year..

What do they do with all that time?


Build the venues if needed, for one. Or update them to the standard required.

I know for Melbourne's 2006 Commonwealth games, we had an extension built to the already new pool complex and most other venues were already there.

A colleague at a school I worked at that year was a volunteer at the mountain bike event, held at a track around an outer suburban lake and that may have needed to be done to Olympic standard etc. (if it wasn't already hosting similar competitions, I don't know that offhand)

 
Brock
1386965.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Brock wrote:
Quote:
It always struck me as astonishing that seven years were needed to prepare for a two-week event. But now it seems that eleven years are needed, with the nomination of Los Angeles for 2028 in 2017, and the nomination of Brisbane for 2032 earlier this year..

What do they do with all that time?


Build the venues if needed, for one. Or update them to the standard required.


But Los Angeles' bid, as I understand it, was based on a combination of existing venues, venues already under construction and some temporary venues. Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Many of the proposed venues are facilities constructed after the 1984 games: Staples Center in 1999, StubHub Center (since renamed Dignity Health Sports Park) in 2003, Galen Center in 2006, and Microsoft Theater in 2007. UCLA proposed the Olympic Village on their campus with dorms built-in 2015. Rose Bowl was renovated in 2013. The Forum was recently renovated in 2014. USC "University Village" opened in 2017. The "MyFigueroa" street redevelopment project is currently under construction. SoFi Stadium, an American football venue built for the Los Angeles Rams, opened in 2020 as the new home of both the Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum renovations were scheduled to begin in mid-2017 by USC. The Los Angeles Convention Center (LACOEX) remodel and additions were to begin in 2018. The NBC/IBC proposed center was set to be completed in 2019. All of these proposed venues were to be renovated or completed with or without the Olympic Games being awarded.


Los Angeles has hosted the Games twice before in any case, most recently in 1984. I don't fully understand why it needs four years longer to prepare than any other city has had.

 
Jenny
1386980.  Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote

At risk of bringing the wrath of forummers down on me, I don't think the German coach should have been expelled. The horse was out of control (and by all accounts an animal who shouldn't have been used after earlier behavioural issues). Horses are large animals and need to be brought under control for the safety of the rider and people nearby. I watched the video, and it didn't look to me as if the coach had done more than a tap on the rump, certainly no more than a rider would do with a crop.

 
suze
1387417.  Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:27 pm Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
In Athletics Silvers for GB Men's 4 x 100m Relay.

Great results there.


Shame one of the team was cheating, or it actually would have been.

 
Awitt
1387420.  Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
At risk of bringing the wrath of forummers down on me, I don't think the German coach should have been expelled. The horse was out of control (and by all accounts an animal who shouldn't have been used after earlier behavioural issues). Horses are large animals and need to be brought under control for the safety of the rider and people nearby. I watched the video, and it didn't look to me as if the coach had done more than a tap on the rump, certainly no more than a rider would do with a crop.


I've bitten my tongue on all posts on FB about this but have to wonder about the horse - supplied by the host country for pentathlon, and I then wonder if it was other issues .

 
tetsabb
1387424.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:42 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
In Athletics Silvers for GB Men's 4 x 100m Relay.

Great results there.


Shame one of the team was cheating, or it actually would have been.


I presume the team will be stripped of their medals?

 
suze
1387426.  Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote

There's some process to be gone through before we get to that, but yes.

 
Prof Wind Up Merchant
1387621.  Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
In Athletics Silvers for GB Men's 4 x 100m Relay.

Great results there.


Shame one of the team was cheating, or it actually would have been.


Shame on one of the men if he is found guilty. We may be stripped of the Silver Medal bring our all medal haul down from 65 to 64.

 
CB27
1387653.  Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote

Looks like China is relentless with their attempt to turn everything into some nationalist propaganda.

The latest is that they're claiming they came top of the medal table because all medals from Hong Kong and Taiwan belong to them.

 
Jenny
1387670.  Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote

That's beginning to sound like all your base are belong to us.

 
cornixt
1387686.  Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:11 am Reply with quote

Taiwan could claim the same.

I wonder if we should switch from celebrating people based on their nationality in the Olympics and move it to purely being for the people involved. Might make the team events a bit more difficult.

 

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group