View previous topic | View next topic

Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics in 2021

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1386206.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote

A thread to discuss this.

Mixed fortunes for the Team GB from success in the pool to heartbreak in the Taekwondo.

Well done to the Team so far.

I am a bit annoyed that Simone Biles withdrew from the Gymnastics ladies team final for USA. You work so hard to get to that point and to back out in that fashion. I believe this cost USA gold.

The highlight so far is seeing parts of the Cycling road race events and Triathalon. Proper hardcore and a test of ensurance. Men's cycling road race was 234km, ladies one was 137km. The running marathon is 42km as a comparison.

Last edited by Prof Wind Up Merchant on Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

cornixt
1386219.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote

It used to be that athletes would fake a physical injury to get out of competing, but now they are being open about their mental fitness. In a sport where you can snap your neck, making people a bit annoyed is a small cost to pay.

tetsabb
1386222.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:13 am Reply with quote

Ms Biles withdrawing is sad. She is one of those performers who takes sport into a different place. I am thinking of Brazil football teams in the past, Brian Lara with a bat in his hands, Torvill and Dean.
She seems to have a special arrangement with gravity, and her performances are awesome to see. But if it is costing her too much, she has done the right thing.

tetsabb
1386231.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote

Springsteen is taking part!

But not that one.

Jenny
1386234.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote

I think it's a good thing that these young women gymnasts, many of whom in the past have damaged their bodies irreparably in the name of sport, now feel strong enough to say 'enough is enough'.

Awitt
1386263.  Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:23 pm Reply with quote

I've seen something where Simone Biles says on that first vault, she lost track of herself in the air, and then didn't do the tumble/twist she was intending to, did a simpler one which caused her to land awkwardly.
This may have shocked her so much, as one who is used to doing everything well.

My younger sister did gymnastics and her group would have been aiming for the 2004 Games had any of them got to the top. Small things like a growth spurt throw off the centre of gravity with things like the beam and the girls have to learn it all over again.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1386324.  Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote

More medal success for Team GB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics

Gold and Silver for the Women's and Men's BMX respectively.

Womens Football and Rugby 7s going well so far.

Great Silver medal for Franklin in Womens canoe slalom.

More medals in the Swimming.

Athletics starts today.

The GB rowing team has underperformed this year considering how much funding they get.

suze
1386328.  Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:53 am Reply with quote

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
Womens Football and Rugby 7s going well so far.

Oh dear.

The British women's rugby team is indeed into the semi finals alongside Fiji, France, and New Zealand.

But sadly, the British women's football team is out of the competition after losing 4-3 to Australia. There would be no shame in losing to Australia if the sport were cricket, or rugby league, or half a dozen other things - but football?

Still, Britain need not be the country feeling the most shame re women's football. What with it not being ice hockey this really shouldn't happen, but Brazil has been dumped out by my lot. I'm going to say that again because I like the sound of it.

Canada has beaten Brazil. At football.

barbados
1386331.  Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote

You would be right to be surprised were it the menís team - but womenís football is quite a big sport in the northern part of the continent, so not really that much of a surprise.

suze
1386344.  Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:19 am Reply with quote

Oh, absolutely.

If Canada were to beat Brazil in men's football, then I'd be shouting about it a whole lot louder! It's never happened, although Canada does have two draws from the countries' four meetings which is a better record than many.

Now for sure, the US and Canada (and OK, also Australia) are always contenders in women's football in a way that they're not in the men's game. Even so, we're below Brazil in the world's rankings and don't beat them very often so it's worthy of minor celebration!

I was slightly surprised that Christine Sinclair, now aged 38, is still on the team and her time there must surely be coming towards an end. But her 187 international goals are a world's record for either sex (cf Wayne Rooney is England's leading international scorer with 53), and she's from Vancouver and therefore a legend!

Canada will certainly not be favourites in Monday's semi final against the world's #1 team (that obscure nation just to the south of us), but bring it on!

jaygeemack
1386400.  Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote

Going back 125 years to the 1896 games in Athens.

John Pius Boland, an Irishman living in England, decided to go to see the games in Athens. He had lunch with a friend who was on the organising committee, who suggested that he enter the tennis tournament. Despite declaring that he was more of a cricket man, and that he had not had any tennis lessons since school, he decided to take part. He managed to buy a tennis racket in a local bazaar, but couldnít find any tennis shoes, so played in his street shoes.

He won the gold for GB&I in both singles and doubles.

He later became MP for South Kerry, representing the Irish Parliamentary Party.

suze
1386454.  Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote

See also post 1202002.

That post mentions bigamy, Irish nationalism, whether or not it's actually true that Mr Boland asked for the Irish tricolour to be flown instead of the Union Jack, and also celebrity friend of these forums Mr C B Fry.

barbados
1386523.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 am Reply with quote

Now that, suze, is a result worth boasting about.

suze
1386528.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote

Not too shabby, was it?

For those who don't know what barbados and I are talking about, Canada's women's team followed up its win over Brazil by dumping the US - ranked #1 in the world - out of the tournament in the semi finals.

Canada will play Sweden in the final on Friday.

tetsabb
1386546.  Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote

San Marino now have a silver to add to the bronze they got a few days ago.
Wiki says so The smallest nation by population ever to have done so.
I remember one year someone produced a table of success per country by awarding 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, one for bronze, then dividing each country's tally into their population. That year British Virgin Islands were the most successful, as they got a silver in sailing.
The refugee team has not, as yet got a medal. I will cheer loudly as and when they do.

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next