View previous topic | View next topic

Enoch

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

suze
763575.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Anyone feeling like taking the piss out of his name ...

Come now, why would anyone need to take the piss out of his name?

He plays for Tranmere Rovers; isn't that enough on its own?

(With apologies to eggshaped ...)

bobwilson
763707.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
whatever one thinks to his politics, he was a very clever man

Er no - he was a well-educated man. There's no evidence that he was clever (unless I've missed something).

BTW - Enoch is one of the staple names (the other usually being Eli) for Brummie humour - along the lines of "Paddy" for an Irishman or "Jock" for a Scotsman.

exnihilo
785050.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote

I don't have the episode to hand, but I did just glance at this thread and I noticed in one of the early posts a reference to 'St Enoch' in the General Ignorance round as being the oldest person ever because he didn't die. Did Stephen say 'St' Enoch, or just Enoch? Because if the former he was quite wrong. Enoch of the Bible is not a Catholic Saint, and the St Enoch we have a few things named after here in Glasgow was the mother of St Mungo.

samivel
785060.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote

I don't remember him saying Saint Enoch, but I could have missed it.

Moosh
785123.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
I don't have the episode to hand, but I did just glance at this thread and I noticed in one of the early posts a reference to 'St Enoch' in the General Ignorance round as being the oldest person ever because he didn't die. Did Stephen say 'St' Enoch, or just Enoch? Because if the former he was quite wrong. Enoch of the Bible is not a Catholic Saint, and the St Enoch we have a few things named after here in Glasgow was the mother of St Mungo.

According to http://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts/3x06 Stephen didn't say St. Enoch.

exnihilo
785131.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Good. I should have been most disappointed in him.

suze
785147.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
St Enoch we have a few things named after here in Glasgow was the mother of St Mungo.

Is this a unique instance of Enoch as a girl's name?

Ainee
785198.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
There's the Book of Enoch and the Book of the Secrets of Enoch (also called Enoch I and II), both apocryphal.

The Book of Enoch is quite long and seems to be a collection of pieces written at different times. It begins with a long discussion of the fallen angels who fathered the "giants" or "sons of God" (Nephilim, Beni Elohim), then goes on to talk about astronomy, and concludes with prophetic visions and exhortations.

The Book of the Secrets of Enoch is concerned entirely with Enoch being taken up into heaven. He is taken up by angels and shown all around the various levels of heaven, then presented to God and shown the book in which all things are written. Enoch is instructed to write down everything he's seen, and is then returned to earth for 30 days, during which he instructs his sons and the people generally. The angels then return and carry him off.

There is also a much later Third Book of Enoch, which is harder to find online. It describes how Enoch was transformed into the mighty archangel Metatron after he was taken into heaven.

I firmly recommend the book by Andrew Collins 'From the Ashes of Angels', which explores the history, geography and myth of Enoch and the very intriguing Nephilim. Recent archeological discoveries in Cappadocia seem to support his theory, and the extreme age of this proto-civilisation.

Ainee

ali
836983.  Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote

atrekkie wrote:
The two prophets who come from heaven in the book of Revelation will be Enoch and Elijah. They are the two people who have never died. For the scripture, "All men must die and after that face judgement," to be fulfilled they must die. The two prophets will be killed and then come back to life after 3 1/2 days.

It's not just prophets; harlots get a look in too, if we are to believe Joshua 6:25

King James Bible wrote:
And Joshua saved Rahab the harlot alive, and her father's household, and all that she had; and she dwelleth in Israel even unto this day; because she hid the messengers, which Joshua sent to spy out Jericho.

Jenny
837103.  Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Wow - an immortal harlot!

rewboss
837115.  Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote

I think you'll find that Joshua 6:25 isn't supposed to mean "she is immortal". It's supposed to mean "As I, the author of the Book of Joshua, write these lines, Rahab is still living in Israel and if you don't believe me you can go and visit her yourself."

Spud McLaren
837165.  Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote

Well, they wanted me to go to Rahab, but I said, "No, no, no..."

CB27
837185.  Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote

She's alive and well and selling her story about Wayne Rooney to the Sun...

Droid
837186.  Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote

She must have learned a good few tricks by now too.

rewboss
837327.  Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote

On a tangent, Enoch Powell once said there are Three Ages of Man: Youth, middle age and "You're looking well, Enoch".

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next