View previous topic | View next topic

Enoch

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Celebaelin
97864.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Is the position in the text right? The site I was trying to get it from wasn't entirely transparent.

Didn't somebody post here the old opinion that

Quote:
A gentleman need not know Latin but he should at least have forgotten it.

In which case my reputation as a gentleman, such as it is, remains unblemished as a result of my attempt.

Cummerbund for Geography
103339.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote

Ultimately, the Tiber quote is correct, but the Powell speech nonetheless gained the tag of the 'Rivers of Blood' speech. Whatever the rights and wrongs of what he said, I can't help but think he was fitted up a bit.

Enoch would be an excellent name for a Basset hound.

MatC
103532.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
he was a very clever man and took a double first at Cambridge.

He can't have been both, surely?

My great-grandad's name was Enoch. Almost every man in the North of England was called Enoch in those days. I wonder when the name went out of fashion and why - and why names do come and go like that. I also wonder if Enoch will come back soon, the way many other early 20th century names have.

suze
103548.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote

Not being English, I hadn't realised just how many Enochs there were in days gone by.

From a few minutes' research it seems that the name was especially common in the West Midlands, particularly Staffordshire. I am aware of a long tradition of Non-Conformism in Staffordshire which is surely connected - Old Testament names are very common among such communities.

Precisely why names move in and out of fashion could be the subject of a very long book, but it's clear that they do. For instance when I was a kid, Samuel and Joshua were uncommon names found mostly among the elderly - and now look!

All the same I doubt that Enoch will make a comeback, in much the same way as little boys in Germany tend not to get named Adolf.

Jenny
103784.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote

I think Tennyson's poem Enoch Arden might have contributed to the popularity of the name in the late 19th century.

realgamergeek
121325.  Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote

didn't enoch become the metatron ( the voice of god ) as described in "dark materials" , "dogma" " good omens" et al?

atrekkie
763295.  Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote

The two prophets who come from heaven in the book of Revelation will be Enoch and Elijah. They are the two people who have never died. For the scripture, "All men must die and after that face judgement," to be fulfilled they must die. The two prophets will be killed and then come back to life after 3 1/2 days.

Spud McLaren
763399.  Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Here is the story of the death of another Enoch. The Dr Cade mentioned in the article is an ancester of the founder of Cornwall's Minack Theatre.

As a child I was often told the story of Enoch Stone, and so were many of my contemporaries. Sadly, younger Derby folks than I seem not to have heard of him.

Yes, yes, OK - the story was fresher in my day...

< pipe & slippers >

RLDavies
763528.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote

There's the Book of Enoch and the Book of the Secrets of Enoch (also called Enoch I and II), both apocryphal.

The Book of Enoch is quite long and seems to be a collection of pieces written at different times. It begins with a long discussion of the fallen angels who fathered the "giants" or "sons of God" (Nephilim, Beni Elohim), then goes on to talk about astronomy, and concludes with prophetic visions and exhortations.

The Book of the Secrets of Enoch is concerned entirely with Enoch being taken up into heaven. He is taken up by angels and shown all around the various levels of heaven, then presented to God and shown the book in which all things are written. Enoch is instructed to write down everything he's seen, and is then returned to earth for 30 days, during which he instructs his sons and the people generally. The angels then return and carry him off.

There is also a much later Third Book of Enoch, which is harder to find online. It describes how Enoch was transformed into the mighty archangel Metatron after he was taken into heaven.

samivel
763530.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote

Another Enoch who might possibly qualify for being QI is Enoch Showunmi, a London-born footballer who has played a couple of times for Nigeria. Anyone feeling like taking the piss out of his name should bear in mind that Mr Showunmi is 6'5" and built like the proverbial. Unusually for a footballist, he has a business degree from South Bank University.

suze
763575.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Anyone feeling like taking the piss out of his name ...

Come now, why would anyone need to take the piss out of his name?

He plays for Tranmere Rovers; isn't that enough on its own?

(With apologies to eggshaped ...)

bobwilson
763707.  Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
whatever one thinks to his politics, he was a very clever man

Er no - he was a well-educated man. There's no evidence that he was clever (unless I've missed something).

BTW - Enoch is one of the staple names (the other usually being Eli) for Brummie humour - along the lines of "Paddy" for an Irishman or "Jock" for a Scotsman.

exnihilo
785050.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote

I don't have the episode to hand, but I did just glance at this thread and I noticed in one of the early posts a reference to 'St Enoch' in the General Ignorance round as being the oldest person ever because he didn't die. Did Stephen say 'St' Enoch, or just Enoch? Because if the former he was quite wrong. Enoch of the Bible is not a Catholic Saint, and the St Enoch we have a few things named after here in Glasgow was the mother of St Mungo.

samivel
785060.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote

I don't remember him saying Saint Enoch, but I could have missed it.

Moosh
785123.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
I don't have the episode to hand, but I did just glance at this thread and I noticed in one of the early posts a reference to 'St Enoch' in the General Ignorance round as being the oldest person ever because he didn't die. Did Stephen say 'St' Enoch, or just Enoch? Because if the former he was quite wrong. Enoch of the Bible is not a Catholic Saint, and the St Enoch we have a few things named after here in Glasgow was the mother of St Mungo.

According to http://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts/3x06 Stephen didn't say St. Enoch.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next