View previous topic | View next topic

Enoch

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
93480.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 am Reply with quote

Enoch was the Son of Jared and Father of Methuselah.

Although Methuselah is famous for being the oldest man who ever lived - dying at an impressive 969 - he was not that much older than his grandfather, Jared, who lived to be 962. Spare a thought for Enoch though, he was cut down in his prime at the tender age of 365.

Unlike the rest of humanity, who either died or will die, Enoch was "taken by God"

http://www.calvarytucson.org/timeline.htm

carax
93494.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote

I'm sure it was highlighted in a previous episode GI round that St Enoch was the oldest person to live due to him not dying but being taken by god and in such is still alive and thus older than methuselah.

simonp
93509.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

I saw the thread title and the first thing that popped into my head was 'rivers of blood'. After reading eggshaped's post i now know of 2 Enochs. An educational day so far.

Tas
93510.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Unlike the rest of humanity, who either died or will die, Enoch was "taken by God"

Did God have to use a date-rape drug for that, or was Enoch willing?

(Goes for his coat)

:-)

Tas

samivel
93661.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote

lol

Jenny
93696.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote

Tennyson wrote a long poem called Enoch Arden - a highly melodramatic tale of a woman choosing between two lovers, marrying one who eventually goes to sea to keep his family fed and is apparently lost at sea, and eventually turning to the other. Of course, the first (the eponymous Enoch) reappears...

You can read it here.

Hans Mof
93700.  Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote

carax wrote:
I'm sure it was highlighted in a previous episode GI round that St Enoch was the oldest person to live due to him not dying but being taken by god and in such is still alive and thus older than methuselah.

The same goes for John

Quote:
Gospel acording to John

21:23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple [John] should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

Either he's still walking around or I've missed Judgement Day.

Jenny
94035.  Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Well we didn't like to tell you Hans, but we've all been Left Behind.

Quaintly Ignorant
94801.  Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote

In some translations it is also said that Noah didn't die but he "walked with God". It is also sugegsted that John the baptist is Elijah himself, come back to fulfill prophecy. Elijah, as you will remember, died, came back but was last seen riding a chariot of fire up into the heavens with a promise of return.
Quote:
Matthew 11:13-14, Jesus says: For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come

Here, Elias = Elijah.

The apocryphal book of Enoch is interesting reading for those interested in mythology. Y'know.. angels and stuff.

Tas
94820.  Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Elijah, as you will remember, died, came back but was last seen riding a chariot of fire up into the heavens with a promise of return.

To be played by Arnie, no doubt, in the next Hollywood blockbuster!...

or not.

:-)

Tas

cabs
94823.  Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote

"promise of a return" - there's even a sequel incorporated in the original story.

gerontius grumpus
95576.  Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Like simonp, the name Enoch brings 'rivers of blood' to my mind.
I used to work with someone who used to assert that enoch Powell was the best prime minister we never had.
My reply was usually something to the effect of "but he was a nazi", followed by an angry sulk.

simonp
97704.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote

Qi ly the speach refers to '..[the] River Tiber foaming with much blood' not 'rivers of blood'

Celebaelin
97714.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote

Virgil - Aeneid 6, 1.86-90

Quote:
Illi me comitem et consanguinitate propinquum
pauper in arma pater primis huc misit ab annis,
dum stabat regno incolumis regumque vigebat
consiliis, et nos aliquod nomenque decusque
gessimus.

As far as I can tell, it's going on about blood anyway, maybe someone can translate it properly.

suze
97849.  Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Wrong bit I think old chap. Powell's quotation was from Book 6 of Virgil's Aeneid but the passage quoted above was actually from Book 2.

Here it is in Latin:

"Bella, horrida bella, et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno. Non Simois tibi, nec Xanthus, nec Dorica castra defuerint; alius Latio iam partus Achilles, natus et ipse dea; nec Teucris addita Iuno usquam aberit; cum tu supplex in rebus egenis quas gentes Italum aut quas non oraueris urbes!"

http://www.virgil.org/texts/virgil/aeneid.txt

and in John Dryden's verse translation:

"Wars, horrid wars, I view- a field of blood,
And Tiber rolling with a purple flood.
Simois nor Xanthus shall be wanting there:
A new Achilles shall in arms appear,
And he, too, goddess-born. Fierce Juno's hate,
Added to hostile force, shall urge thy fate.
To what strange nations shalt not thou resort,
Driv'n to solicit aid at ev'ry court!"

http://classics.mit.edu/Virgil/aeneid.6.vi.html

Remember that Powell was a Classicist - whatever one thinks to his politics, he was a very clever man and took a double first at Cambridge. Therefore, his own translation would have been slightly different - and more accurate - than Dryden's rhyming version.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next